• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

@majingotan, enjoy your AXO! I have an AXC, and love the fast response and tonsl balance... Should sound nice on your SET amp!

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Arya Stealth

20220706_181201 (1).jpg

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@david.aj.silva Was looking to demo the Folkvangr with headphones provided at Schiitr, but the amp wasn't there so I just played around with the Mjolnir 2 instead and discovered the Aeon 2 Open sounding perfectly to my subjective preferences hence my AXO purchase. Very few people run the K712s out of a SET amp but I liked the way the K712 sounded subjectively on it

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

PatF

A fine pair of headphones. Sadly, they were lacking in the spatiality department. Their bass was world-class though.
Yea I was aware of their presentation in that area but it was something I can accept. Sound stage is like from conductor place not audience, which has some benefits and I am a bit used to hear music within ensemble. For audience like listening I prefer loudspeakers and LCD-X are my desktop listening equipment :). Also price was good...

BJL

The Shangrila and the Airpods Max. I'm just really happy with the Shangrila, it's my main set for listening. It's overpriced, sure, but I haven't found a better sounding headphone. I think it's better than the Susvara which is already excellent. (I haven't tried the newest Stax model). The 300B tube set up works well with the electrostatic sound. Very comfortable too; that's often underestimated in this area. Downsides besides the price is it's not portable at all and the amp generates a lot of heat so you need a cold climate or air conditioning. If you like the Hifiman sound signature on their higher end headphones, you'll love it.

The Airpods Max because it's just so convenient. It works well, even with Android and Windows, although of course it's most seamless with Apple devices. It has the best balance between portability, sound and convenience that I've found. The sound is good (we're quite spoiled these days actually, this quality of sound in portable headphones would be considered miraculous just a couple of decades ago), and the mic is very good. When you're travelling and listening to music, the noise cancellation outweighs the pure audio benefits of a higher quality headphones. The transparency mode is also great if you want to walk outside and listen to nature, etc. while you listen. I think from a pure BT audio perspective, the Hifiman Ananda BT is better but it doesn't have noise cancellation and is an open headphone system. It also looks, umm...well, you might stand out a bit if you're travelling. On the other hand, you can listen to the Ananda wired if you like. I would not recommend the Stellia for a high end travel pair, it sounds very nice but it doesn't seal outside noise well. I would categorize it as semi-closed, not closed.
As to the Airpods Max, I would just add that they are great to use for such mundane tasks as telephone calls or conferences (e.g. zoom, facetime), especially if you don't want to stick things in your ears, as well as casual listening for those, like me, who otherwise prefer speakers, and for podcasts and the like.

PatF

As to the Airpods Max, I would just add that they are great to use for such mundane tasks as telephone calls or conferences (e.g. zoom, facetime), especially if you don't want to stick things in your ears, as well as casual listening for those, like me, who otherwise prefer speakers, and for podcasts and the like.
I have same observations about AirPods Max. I use them for background listening when I work or for excellent noise canceling when I need it. They are very convenient.

bberger

It looks like I've involuntary started collecting headphones. Every time I see a good outlet deal I can't resist..

- Sennheiser HD 580 Precision (have been with me for almost 20 years, now my backup open back phones, got it as a birthday gift from my dad eons ago)
- Sennheieser HD569 (using it at work as it has a mic built in)
- beyerdynamic DT770 (my go-to for PC gaming and music at night)
- beyerdynamic Tygr300R (my go-to for Music and gaming during the day)
- beyerdynamic COP (simracing on the Quest 2)
- final VR3000 (also mostly used on my Quest 2 with Dolby Atmos for Headphones - they're next level in this, unfortunately a bit uncomfortable)
- Soundmagic P23BT (for on-the go and in bed)
- 2x Philips Fidelio X3 for watching TV and Movies at night together with the wife on the projector while the kid's sleeping)
- beyerdynamic Byrd in-ears (the utterly cheap ones, for old tablet usage in the bathtub, they sound awesome for their price and won't hurt the bank if they get wet..)

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Let us know how the IE 300's compare to the CX 300S. I'm very curious. Sennheiser Canada has the IE 300 on sale from $399 to $260. It looks like a good deal. :D
The performance of CX 300S is so close to that of IE 300 that I recommend people to buy CX 300S instead (!). I am very surprised. The innovative thing Sennheiser has done regarding the "around-ear-cable-bending" with the IE 300 makes them more comfortable to wear than CX 300S, but I think for most people it is not worth the price difference.

Yesterday, I brought my IE 300's to a shop for comparing their sound with that of HD 800 S. The HD 800 S are much better. I am a previous owner of HD 800, but sold them (a mistake! they are amazing both regarding comfort and sound) after owning them for several years since I wanted a closed headphone. I ended up ordering HD 800 S after yesterday's audition. They are simply too amazing to resist.

I find over-ear headphones more practical than IEM's (in-ear monitors) for home use when it is OK with some sound leakage (that is, nearly always). The very few times for home use which it is important with no sound leakage, I use IEM's.

Addicted to music

I just had a Sony WH1000 MX3 return from my daughter as a Xmas present I gave her. She now uses a Wireless Technika, have to say being cordless streaming from an iphone7 doesn’t have me wanting, initially I thought the bass was overwhelming that effects clarity. Takes some time to get use to and now i can’t live without then when I go out for physical activity. I have a Beyer T90. Don’t use the T90 anymore! The Sony is just convenient, fun and easier to use without to deal with a cord. Call me out for being lazy!

Disco

I still have love for my very first "audiophile headphone" since 2013 as a soundstage junkie. As of this writing, yes, this is still my only OE headphone since I use IEMs as my main. Also, my very first planar Aeon X Open is arriving in a few days :)
What IEMs are your go-to's?

Disco

Focal Stellia
Beyerdynamic DT1990 w/ Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads (daily drivers)
Sennheiser HD6xx
Currently testing an HD600, not sure I will be able to return them they sound amazing
Hifiman HE1000 V2, but they're sold to a friend now
Audio Technica AD2000x

And I'm currently in week 4 of waiting for a pair of ZMF Verite Closed, which I am super excited for

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

makinao

Current wireless recording/teach-from-home/online meeting/recreational listening setup. Signal reaches far beyond bluetooth range. I can audibly stay in meetings while going outside the house to answer the door for deliveries, or doing housework away from the workstation. Uses any of my wired headphones.

IMG_4126.JPG

IMG_4127.JPG

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
I own the following:

Sennheiser HD 800 S
Sennheiser_HD_800_S_B08_OM_aussen_closer-1024x619.jpg

Outstanding both regarding sound and comfort! Excellent value for money as well. Sennheiser is great regarding accessories/replacements (new pads etc.).

Sennheiser CX 300S
Sennheiser CX 300S_black.jpg

Good IEM and excellent value for money.

Sennheiser IE 300
Sennheiser IE 300.jpg

The difference in sound quality among this and the cheap CX 300S is small (maybe not detectable in a blind test). The "around-the-air"-cable-innovation is nice and may perhaps imply that they are perfect for runners etc. But for people who do not need this "extra comfort": Just buy the CX300 S. I therefore rate their value for money as "medium".

Samsung AKG EO-IG955

Samsung AKG EO-IG955.jpg

This IEM was included as accessory to a phone I bought. The IEM is OK. Another IEM, which followed as accessory for another phone, was terrible.

Comment
The sound of HD 800 S is much better (as expected) than the IEMs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom