• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

batcake

Since my last post back in August I've picked up an HD560s, Hd600, Sr-009s, and a CCA CRA (iem).

I enjoy the HD560s very much and use them mainly when I go on walks (yes I do use open backs outside sometimes).
CCA CRA sounds fine too. With IEMS I don't have problems if they have exaggerated treble.
I can't tell a difference between my hd6xx and the HD600. I enjoy both of them. Of the four new additions, I've used the HD600 the most (comfort reasons mostly).

The Sr-009s sounds very detailed to my ears but its tonality is not to my taste tbh. Sounds too bright for me. I much prefer the SR-007mk2 but even that headphone I find not ideal for long listening periods (too shouty). Also, sr-009s lack of impact is very bothersome to me.

Oratory's Harman preset fixes my gripes with the Sr-009s. With the headband set at a position that makes its clamp feel tighter on my head, its bass is similar to that of any other closed-front volume sealed headphones I've tried and eq'd to harman. Upper mids and lower treble no longer bother me but still sound very refined and detailed. I'd like to say it sounds more refined than everything else I've heard but might just be a placebo idk.

Setup:
SR009s: SRM-717 + Rme ADI 2. For reference with -10.5 db pre-amp, I haven't had to set the energizer past the 12 am position yet. Usually, have it set at 9-10 am position. Some quieter tracks w/ more dynamic range have me set it to 11-12 am position.

HD560s, HD600, and CCA CRA - Android Note 9 phone / RME ADI 2

Last edited:

fuzzychaos

Open back - Sennheiser HD650 - just a good all around neutral headphone.
Closed back - B&W PX7 - got them for the noise canceling and wireless use.

jasminee

I purchased Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone back in 2016, and I have never found a more, durable, reliable, and versatile pair of headphones for the price I paid (~$450). They are light, over-ear headphones that don’t even feel like they are on your head even after extended periods. They are very easy to drive, with even my iPhone able to drive them (with the proper adapters) without any amplifiers needed, but they work well with my own DAC/Amplifier combo. The audio is amazing, and I haven’t found them fatiguing to my ears at all.

The only nitpick I have is the bass is on the weak side compared to well-known brands (e.g. these are very neutral headphones) and the cable can be annoying

keith79

Focal clears. Easy to drive but still pair it with a Bryston amp and a topping dac. Amazing sound

Wegi76

Keith, that seems to be a very good choice for your only headphone :) The Clear sounds fantastic.

Sadly that adapter is only available for lightning connector iPads. I have a usb-c ipad and the only adapter for it is a usb-c to usb-a.
@square.
I bought a small DockTeck mini hub. Plugs straight into the ipad usb-c and has hdmi / usb c / usb A / hp ports. Works fine with usb c ipads. Power in thru usb c and music out thru usb A printer cable
00C1B471-603A-4BE7-9AAC-460375846B7C.jpeg

8152D4EC-0DD5-42B7-9EB9-ABCF2ECFAA3A.jpeg

137tmxth

In order of acquisition:

- AKG K271 Studio (original mk1 version, broken)
- AKG K240 Sextett (broken)
- Koss Porta Pro (broken)
- Thomann t.bone (forgot exact model, broken)
- Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (250 ohms variant)
- Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro
- Shure SRH1540

The K271s were my first "proper" headphones (and also first "proper" audio reproduction devices in general), I bought them new in 2002-2003 and used them regularly for over a decade. IIRC they cost as much as 171 euros from Thomann back then. They are the original mk1 version with slightly better official specs than the K271 mk2s which replaced them in AKG's product catalog, though only came with one cable and one set of pads while mk2s are packaged with two cables and two sets of pads. No idea how they'd really compare to mk2s if measured. Seems even the mk2s themselves may have got some downgrades along the years... The mk1s were all "Made in Austria" of course, for what that may actually count. The design also looks maybe a little bit less cheap than that of the mk2s, unfortunately the glue keeping the little "K271 studio" decal on one side of the headphones eventually gave up and I lost it. It's probably not possible to get a replacement anymore except by buying another pair of K271 mk1s which I've contemplated doing.

After getting disappointed with a replacement cable and pads for the K271s bought from random Chinese eBay and AliExpress sellers and even an official AKG branded replacement cable -- it got stiff and broke in under 6 months, faster than the one I got from a random eBay seller actually -- I decided to give up on them go buy something else instead. Especially because one day I had accidentally stepped on the cable which caused the headphones to fly from my head and hit the floor pretty hard after which there was noticeably less bass on one side (the headband plastics also got damaged a bit but I managed to glue them together), and because the elastic band which is supposed to tighten the headphones on the user's head doesn't work that well anymore.

I always liked the sound of those K271s but since it was not possible to buy the exact same mk1 model anymore and since it seemed like AKG quality in general might not be what it used to be, I decided to get something else and chose the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pros due to sturdy build and good parts availability.

On a whim I had also bought a pair of broken K240 Sextetts from eBay. I got them for almost just the postage. The cable would have to be replaced and the elastic band has completely lost its tension. Surprisingly the pleather pads seem to be in excellent shape. Perhaps the previous owner swapped those shortly before getting rid of the headphones. Note that I don't really believe the "hype" you can find for the Sextetts on silly forums like Head-Fi, in fact I suspect it's very likely that a successful repair -- which I'll eventually get around to -- will reward me with a pair of pretty average or even crappy sounding headphones by current standards. Just thought the six driver system is weird enough to get these for fun. I think the pads might also fit the K271s but I've not tried it.

The sound of the DT-770s definitely took some getting used to after the AFAIK relatively neutral K271s, and I wonder how badly the DT-770s will get destroyed if they're ever reviewed here. At least the treble peak shouldn't be as bad as on the DT-990s, I have tried a friend's DT-990s and the treble on those even managed to cause slight feelings of pain in my ears. On the plus side, some extra bass compared to the K271s was probably welcome, and the sound of the DT-770s was very "open" or "wide" compared to the K271s despite both being closed back headphones, I guess this is what's often called "soundstage" in headphones. The Beyer velour pads were also very nice and comfortable but started to flatten a bit too quickly with regular use in my opinion.

After using the DT-770s for a couple of years I bought the DT-1770s as my first headphones in a slightly more expensive price class. Again went for Beyers due to their sturdy build and parts availability, and also because I thought the DT-1770s would be just like the DT-770s, only better. Well, the DT-1770s certainly look and feel very nice (not that the DT-770s are too cheap or flimsy) but I'm not sure if the sound is really 300 euros better than on the DT-770s and I'm not sure if it's even "the same but better".

At about the same time I bought the SRH1540s used from eBay for a little less than 200 euros including shipping, mainly on a whim but I also justified it a bit to myself with their much lower impedance rating (yet very similar sensitivity) vs. the Beyers. New, they'd cost about as much as the DT-1770s, around 400-450 euros. Actually the packages containing the SRH1540s and DT-1770s arrived the exact same day. Again, the first impression was: really nice look and feel but I'm not sure if the sound is truly 300 euros better than on the DT-770s.

When I got them out of their boxes, I thought both the DT-1770s and SRH1540s had too much bass compared to the DT-770s and especially the K271s, with the DT-1770s actually having WAY TOO MUCH bass. At least on the SRH1540s the bass didn't seem to almost drown everything else under it like on the DT-1770s. I even contemplated returning the DT-1770s in my two week tryout period but in the end decided to keep them because I didn't really know what else I'd buy with the money.

Again I have to wonder how badly the DT-1770s or SRH1540s would get destroyed here if ever reviewed!

After using only the SRH1540s for a while and switching back to the DT-1770s I noticed that there might be a slight channel imbalance problem on the DT-1770s, so I contacted Thomann and they sent me a new pair. Now I'm not sure if I just got used to bass (since the SRH1540s I was listening to while waiting for service or replacement are also bassy headphones), or if the first pair of DT-1770s was also faulty in some other way besides the slight channel imbalance since after receiving the new pair I don't find the bass on the DT-1770s offensive anymore.

I wish I had written down or photographed the serial on the first pair of DT-1770s so I could compare it with the new pair. I want to think the serial on the first pair was actually much lower than on the second pair (4xxxx vs 7xxxx), so I wonder if Beyer actually revised the design at some point and reduced the ridiculous bass. At least I'm pretty sure the hardcase that came the first pair had the old Beyerdynamic logo plus a "Professional audio" text while the one I have now has the new logo and no additional text, though of course that doesn't necessarily mean that the headphones themselves are different in any (intentional) way.

The SRH1540 pads seem like they might last longer with regular use than Beyer pads but we shall see. I got one used and one seemingly unused pair of earpads with the SRH1540s from eBay. On the other hand new original Shure pads are more expensive than Beyer pads, and it seems to be not possible to buy original replacement headband cushions at all. Apparently Shure sells a whole replacement headband incl. new cushions if you ask them directly though (haven't seen RPH1540s in stores), and certain Sennheiser headband cushions fit very well. I'll probably go with the Sennheiser option because buying something directly from Shure must cost quite a bit in shipping to Europe. I'll just live without the cushions for the time being, I still have some hair and the SRH1540s feel pretty ok to wear even without the cushion strips.

Currently I am mostly using the DT-1770s, but sometimes I switch to the SRH1540s for a while. The SRH1540s are also good to have around for the occasions I need to get audio out of something which struggles with the 250 ohm Beyers, such as my old portable game consoles. (not that they get a lot of use these days anymore...)

I don't think I'm going to buy more headphones any time soon, rather I'm going to buy some speakers next, but if and when I do I'll probably try some closed backs from Dan Clark Audio.

...and that's my lengthy headphone story. Did anyone even read it? :p

Maybe I should try to go back to the DT-770s now that I've only been listening to these much more expensive and supposedly better headphones for a while? Or even the K271 mk1s? (after they're repaired of course, or I manage to get another pair from somewhere for a reasonable price)

Why I'm not EQing my headphones? Mainly because I'm afraid that if I get used to it I can't live without it anymore, which will mean that audio sources other than a PC (or a smartphone but I don't like using those much anyway) could become problematic.

edit: oh yeah I almost forgot that I had also bought the Porta Pros, I'm not actually sure anymore whether I got them before or after the DT-770s. Sadly I managed to break the plastic part which attaches the drivers to the headband on one side relatively quickly by forgetting them in my pocket and sitting down on a bench with my fat ass. I still have the Porta Pros in storage but the cable has now stiffened and broken too. For a little while when contemplating what to buy after the K271s I also used some cheap Thomann store brand (t.bone) headphones I got for free from a friend but they weren't really anything to talk about. I also managed to break the plug on those by dropping a laptop they were connected to. Thankfully the laptop itself survived fine, and there was enough of the plug left in the laptop's headphone connector to easily pull it out!

Last edited:

Rescue911

In connection with my lifestyle - constant mobility - I have long come to only one type of headphones.
Only in-ear headphones are my choice.
Smabat ST10s - made a return, because they just don't stay in the ear.
FiiO FA9
7HZ Timeless
Tin HiFi P1 Plus
TONEKING MusicMaker TK12s
I don’t list BT, because I use this format only in the bodybuilding gym. This is not serious. ;)

SlothRock

I tried to build a little collection that covers different types of headphones over the last one or two years... As of today:

• ZMF Verité Closed (closed over-ear dynamic)
  • Hifiman Arya (open over-ear planar)
  • Focal Clear (open over-ear dynamic)
  • Sennheiser HD660S (open over-ear dynamic)
  • 64 Audio U12T (multi-BA in ear monitor)
  • Sennheiser IE 300 (single dynamic driver in ear monitor)
The IE300 will have to go soon. I had the chance to test its bigger brother over the weekend (IE 600) I believe the 600 is worth the extra money. The HD660S is collecting dusk because of its better competitors.

If I had to choose just one of these, it would be the Arya; super comfortable to wear and great, detailed sound. I would not buy the Verité again. Its looking gorgeous but its too heavy for me, my ears heat up and the sound does not really give me a kick, although it sounds completely fine (rich&detailed). It was too expensive though. And to be honest: I do not even have an use case that requires a closed over-ear... Hope I learn from this...

Cheers
Markus

Curious what wood you got for the VC? If you got something like blackwood I could see that being killer for your neck lol but I have camphor burl and I think it weighs close to 450g so not so bad

Gorgeous VCs @Wegi76! Beautiful example of sapele grain:cool:

SlothRock

@SlothRock: Mine are made of Sapele and weight 520g without the cable. They came with the Al-hardware. The Mg versions are lighter.

View attachment 214368

Beautiful! Is that the new Crescent strap or the original one? If it's the original, I recently swapped out my original headband with the crescent and it makes a huge difference in comfort. Would highly recommend it!

Wegi76

Thanks for the advice, Slothrock. I did not know, that there is an alternative headband available at all. My VC came with the thinner one. I`ll contact my dealer in Germany if he has these in stock.

BTW: I have another earphone just joined my collection: A set of Sennheiser IE 600. Substantial improvement over the IE 300 and big fun to listen with. Only the stock cable is crap.

Jomungur

I live in NYC. Given the proximity of neighbors I can't always use my loudspeakers, so have amassed a decent collection of headphones.

1. Hifiman Sundara
2. Hifiman Ananda BT
3. Focal Stellia
4. Focal Utopia
5. Airpods Max
6. Hifiman Susvara
7. Dan Clark VOCE
8. Audeze CRBN
9. Hifman Shangrila Sr. + matching Hifiman amp. Right now equipped with 4 WE 300Bs (new production, not vintage).

In-Ear:

1. Audeze Isine 20

Happy to answer any questions on the above if people are thinking about them and want opinions.

Very impressive stable of headphones! :cool:

Peterinvan

Enjoying a pair of SR325 (2014?) that were handed down to me. I added a Meze balanced 4.4mm cable.
Sheepskin pads are glued onto old SR325 pads for max comfort. However the new flat pads sound better than the Sheepskin, (clarity, pinpoint accuracy, bass).

11802680.jpg

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Sony MDR7506 (yhea, yhea, laugh away guys) I also have the Koss KPH30i AND THEY ARE DAMN GOOD HEADPHONES!! When I get serious I listen to my Grado sr225e's. I'm older and my hearing cuts off at 15Khz so I don't stress about it.

jasminee

There are no "Best" headphones for listening to music! I have listened to Stax headphones since the early 90’s. I currently have the 009’s. I love the electrostatic sound for its quick, clear transparent sound. It truly sounds like a window on the soundstage. I wanted a more intimate sound so I bought a pair of Audeze LCD-XC, and a McIntosh MHA 100 to drive them. The Audeze are incredibly comfortable (albeit heavy) and it would be hard not to like them. The sound is powerful and dynamic but I miss the transparency of the Stax phones, so I move between them.

Could I find a better sound if I spent more money? Maybe. You didn’t mention your budget, but I suspect it’s not unlimited. Jim’s comment above indicates that he loves his Sennheisers, and I’m sure they are great as well. My advice would be to settle on a budget and audition as many as you can. Find a pair that you like, and can live with long term. If you constantly chase different, more expensive headphones it will get expensive. When these lockdowns end, try to attend a Hi-Fi show. They all seem to feature a demonstration room for headphones. Believe me, you will find a pair that you like and an amplifier to drive them. I recommend a tube amp. Good luck in your search.

tiramisu

Sony MDR7506 (yhea, yhea, laugh away guys) I also have the Koss KPH30i AND THEY ARE DAMN GOOD HEADPHONES!! When I get serious I listen to my Grado sr225e's. I'm older and my hearing cuts off at 15Khz so I don't stress about it.
I've had my 7506's for almost 20 years. Probably older than many of the people posting here.

Top Bottom