• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Paianis

My only half-decent pair is an MDR-7506 (2015). Prior to this I was using a Koss Pro 3AA, whose hinges were breaking all the time, and the sound is just mush. For portable listening I had Thinksound TS02 earbuds, sadly those fell apart the same year I got the Sony's.

If I upgrade it will probably be to HD600's, at which point I will call it a day as I don't see any point looking further.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Hi Frans :

Owned many during the years as many of us here, including all the DTs (770, 880 both pro and standard, including the 600 Ohms, the 990 ...)

Ending finally to be an "aficionado" of the AKG brand, of which I have five K701 of which three of the period 2000-2010 (Made in Austria) and two more recent (2015) Made in China (Quincy Jones' editions, green and white ...)

I also own a B&W P7, which I am going to post for sale in one week, want to move to Grado, the PS500e most probably, however 'cause I buy only 2nd hand stuffs, it will depend very much on which sale or auction I will cross. In any case, it will be a Grado. I want to try that colored rock n roll sound of the Grados ...
(I'm going to browse throughout your reviews over the next days to grab some valued comments of yours ...)

I bought the P7 after selling the Audioquest Nighthawk. :facepalm: (Dark - dark - dark ...)

And as portable solution, the little but immortal KOSS Porta Pro ... ;)

Memoryerror

Forum Donor
Stax headphones with three earphones and three amps. The highest end one is the Omega. The other is the Nova. The amps are both tube and transistor.

Would you be able to measure your Stax amps/energizers sometime?

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Ending finally to be an "aficionado" of the AKG brand, of which I have five K701 of which three of the period 2000-2010 (Made in Austria) and two more recent (2015) Made in China (Quincy Jones' editions, green and white ...)

I also own a B&W P7, which I am going to post for sale in one week, want to move to Grado, the PS500e most probably, however 'cause I buy only 2nd hand stuffs, it will depend very much on which sale or auction I will cross. In any case, it will be a Grado. I want to try that colored rock n roll sound of the Grados ...
(I'm going to browse throughout your reviews over the next days to grab some valued comments of yours ...)

I bought the P7 after selling the Audioquest Nighthawk. :facepalm: (Dark - dark - dark ...)

And as portable solution, the little but immortal KOSS Porta Pro ... ;)

The QJ version is a bit more balanced version, less bright.
The K712 even a bit more 'balanced' and again a bit less bright.

AQ NH... very very dark yet others find it realistic. Maybe a seal thing, maybe taste/preference.

Koss PortaPro is a good headphone for portable duties when an open headphone is not a problem.

Grado's are an acquired taste. There are some pleasant ones in their line up. Indeed not really suited for all kinds of music.
Did not measure many Grado's though.

Last edited:

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
WH-1000XM2
Soon-to-have Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX

I've had the Bose QC35 as well. Thinking of swapping the XM2 for an XM3 for the better noise cancelling.

THW

Forum Donor
My main pair is the HD 600 (corrected with EQ), still looking for a good closed-back pair that sounds at least 80% as good as the HD 600 so that I can use it while not at a desk or something

MSR7 with some EQ correction is high on my list (quite liked it when I tried it even though I did find it a bit bright compared to my HD 600), did quite like Focal Listen although I think the MSR7 would be the better buy

YMMV

Last edited:

Dogen

Forum Donor
Sony MDR V6, with the replacement velour pads. Only serious pair I’ve ever owned. They're perhaps a little lean, or are they accurate?

I picked these up on a lark three years ago, and am only now beginning to appreciate them as a really nice-sounding option. I’m tempted to move to a Sennheiser HD650, but I’d definitely want to audition before buying, and I really don’t want to get into expensive hardware upgrades when I’m enjoying what I have so much.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d definitely want to audition before buying

Where are you located? If there are no shops which sell high end headphones around you you might want to join Head-Fi and keep an eye out for meet ups within driving distance.

Dogen

Forum Donor
Where are you located? If there are no shops which sell high end headphones around you you might want to join Head-Fi and keep an eye out for meet ups within driving distance.

I’m in Durham, NC, USA. Great idea!

westyjeff

I started with Bose AE2 when my iPhone had a headphone jack, I still use and prefer these when gaming on the iPad. M&O beryllium acoustic Bluetooth headphones for wireless, although they sound better on a cord directly hooked to a good source. Senn 58x Jubilees, K7xx that I modded to full balanced. I just bought MrSpeaker Either 2 as my first electrostatic headphones, these are just awesome!!! I just bought a used Focal Elex and will give them a listen when they get to me.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Only the ones I use frequently:
  • Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
  • Hifiman/Massdrop HE-4xxx
  • Sennheiser/Sennheiser HD-6xx
  • Etymotic ER3XR
  • Brainwavz B400

I would like to ask you how you compare the AT ATH-MSR7 to the HD-6xx as far as the genre of music is concerned ... or for what genre you would recommend the ATH ?

Thank you so much !

graz_lag

Major Contributor
@solderdude

Hi Frans : I have noticed that you listed the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 among your recommended cans in the family higher price point €200 – €500 but did not see any review of yours on it ...

For what genre of music in particular would you recommend it ? :rolleyes:

SchwarzeWolke

Forum Donor
@graz_lag:
I would call them right now the most "neutral" headphones I own. They are for sure "bright", which I really like. Tyll from Innerfidelity nails it when he said that you will most likely hear what is happening on the way to the MSR7. High potential of resolving, really not veiled.
It really depends what you prefer. I wouldn't say "this headphone is for that music", it all depends on how you listen to your music. I hear a lot of metal, hardcore, metal core and so on and I really like to "hear" the stroke of the bass or the guitar. I really like to hear the actual string and all the characteristics behind it. For all this, the MSR7 is just made for.
The HD-6xx sounds a little bit "veiled" in comparison. Some might say it is less fatiguing and more "laid back". The Sennheiser have for sure more bass, what I really like is the still high resolving power they have.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
@SchwarzeWolke

I am 80% blues of which 70% electric blues and for the rest 20% jazz-funk-fusion (all types except classic jazz) ... and have abt. 2-hrs. per day practically after dinner to relax wearing the headphones, so I am not particularly sensible to the definition of "fatiguing" ...
I know the HD650 that was the reason for which your list has come out to my attention as I have been offered by a colleague of mine for a near-new-pair of MSR7 @ 100 EUR but he works in another location quite far away from my location and he is 100% pure classic jazz ...

Thank you for the feedback !

graz_lag

Major Contributor
@solderdude @SchwarzeWolke

Hi there : I have received the ATH-MSR7 and would like to replace the jack socket with fixed cabling.
Like this : https://www.moon-audio.com/hack-headphones-contest

I will use the MSR7 on my desktop installation, so no need for me for the detachable cable.
Do we have any specific cable you feel you want to suggest me ?
The Blue Dragon in the link is too expensive ... :facepalm:
I can terminate my new cable with a 3.5 mini jack, so there is no need for me to buy a terminated cable.

Thank you !!!

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I only had a short encounter with a fake MSR7.
You could look at Thomann for some cables.
I usually do not replace cables.
Maybe shorten them now and then.
My recommendation is based on findings of an owner who's ears I trust.
It wouldn't be my thing though.. perhaps with some EQ.
I like a little 'body' to the sound.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I only had a short encounter with a fake MSR7.
You could look at Thomann for some cables.
I usually do not replace cables.
Maybe shorten them now and then.
My recommendation is based on findings of an owner who's ears I trust.
It wouldn't be my thing though.. perhaps with some EQ.
I like a little 'body' to the sound.

I have seen the YouTube videos abt. the fake MSR7, we will never reach the top of our learning curve ... :facepalm:
I have some cuts left here and there of different Mogami microphone cables that I can use for this project, my point was more abt. the cable electrical properties considering the specificity of these headphones.
Will try to compare the cuts I have available with the Blue Dragon's specs of the Moon Audio's mod ...

Thank you Frans.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My new Audio Technica ATH-A2000Z from Massdrop's black Friday sale was delivered ridiculously early this morning.

These are very normal sounding for a high end AT and open and airy for a closed back model with good isolation too. Light and comfy as well.

Top Bottom