• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Colonel Bogey

Just added Dan Clark Stealth to the lot. Ouch! A major investment, but I mostly use headphones for music listening so its quite logical to concentrate the spending there.

Not much more left to do - I use the premium version of the IDAGIO classical streaming service (providing the original CD quality) and the DAC/amp is the well designed RME ADI-2 Pro so I guess after this investment, the quality of the recording is the main remaining limiting factor.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Over ears: Focal Elear w/ Elex pads, Sennheiser HD6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X w/ Brainwavz angled pads, Audeze LCD-2 Classic, Grado x Pokemon SR80x, Shure Aonic 50

In ears: Kinera Norn
Do I want to know what Grado X Pokemon are?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow... This is actually real...

kxWaHtN.png

6hR9ucw.png

FMggr1K.png

Tryphon

Here is my list.
I haven’t a large usage of headdphone, except when on the move or late at night for not exposing my family to loud music.
  • Sennheiser HD430. The beginning of the story for quality headphone both for me and Sennheiser in the late 70s. The great thing about this object is that almost 45 years after its release, one’s can still get spare parts. Huge incentive to keep buying Sennheiser headphone. Delivered with a demo 7” disc with binaural recordings I still have too.
  • Revox RH310 . Nothing worth saying about the sound but nice to have with a Revox collection. Built by Beyer, allowing to find earpads replacement
  • B&W P5. Provide some good noise isolation and the leather a pleasure to touch.
  • Sennheiser HD600. Never feel the need to improve on that. Have it for (20?) years and have replace earpads twice.
  • AKG Q701. Relatively cheap. Nothing exceptional (both in good or bad). Not on par with Sennheisers from the built quality et confort.
  • And very recently I bought Hifizs MS1 low end to give a try to inears. Low price as a bundle with the very good S9 dongle worth the try.
Still happy with the HD600. I could be tempted by vintage Koss Pro4AAA and Pioneer SE-305 but only from a collector point of view.
1642084142692.png

Last edited:

phrwn

Since I have a penchant for climbing out of rabbit-holes I'm currently taking advantage of a house move, and everything going into storage for a while, to see what it's like to reduce down to just ER4XR's plugged into the laptop headphone jack. So far so good, and I might actually sell the Teaks and the Element II when I get them back.

The ER4's sound good enough to me and solve a bunch of other issues I had with headphones, mainly to do with isolation (the Teaks have less than none) and comfort, especially with regard to using with glasses. They are deep insertion, but with the triple flange tips this is much easier than whatever conniptions the U12t's required.

Running with an oratory1990 EQ in Equalizer APO.

drewdawg999

My collection, mostly very old:

Audeze LCD-2
Hifiman HE-400
Sony MDR-V6 (new pads)
Grado SR225 (new pads)
Sennheiser HD580 Precision
AKG K701
Sennheiser PX-100 (white and foldable)
Etymotics ER-4P (with adapter cable to convert to ER-4S)
Yuin PK2 earbuds

Bought and sold: Koss Porta Pro, Grado SR80

More than I need since I only have one head, but the Audeze LCD-2's are my favorites, followed by the old HE-400 (excellent bass response!). So I guess I prefer planar over dynamic drivers, they're faster on transients and slam more when driven properly. I keep the SR225 on hand for its unique presentation and live and bright sound signature. I still love my HD580 and K701, driven by my tube amp, the Doge 6210. But my JDS Atom amp offers the same level of fidelity for much less money and hassle.

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
I've acquired and relinquished a decent number of headphones over the years. I currently have on hand:

Audio Technica ATH-M50x
Sony Z1R
Tenmak Pros
Shure KSE1200
Shure SE846
Meze 99 Noir
Oppo PM-2
Sony WH-1000XM3
Bose QC35ii
Blon BL03
KZ ZS10 Pro
Apple AirPods Pro

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have used many headphones over the years, but it is only this autumn that I have found a headphone that I am completely happy with. It has made me stop changing headphones for variety. Last fall I bought a pair of Dan Clark AEON RT (closed). I also recently built a headphone amplifier - Kameleon - designed by @solderdude here on the forum, which also provided PCBs for the construction. This headphone amplifier has a (replaceable) filter module that can be built for different headphones. This combination of headphone and headphone amplifier has made me stop looking for new stuff. I also have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 3 wireless that I use outdoors or when traveling. This is because they have Noise Canceling, which by playing at a lower volume protects the ears. In addition to these two, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600 and a pair of Bayerdynamic DT770 PRO that I still listen to, but everything else I have in principle got rid of.

Pakmoto

OVER EAR

Audio Technica ATH-M50

I use these when I'm producing heavy based EDM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm
Used for general production, mixing, and mastering

I also use Sonarworks Reference ID to flat them out.

IEM

BASN Bmaster

Great for mobile production.

New member.
I have the Drop DCA Aeon Closed X cans for a few months now. Had been driving them with Qudelix 5k when mobile and an ifi hipdac 2 when at home. I listen in a recliner not a desk so I prefer peq in the dac. An rme adi dac 2 fs arrived Friday, quite an improvement, spent the weekend listening!

Colonel Bogey

New member.
I have the Drop DCA Aeon Closed X cans for a few months now. Had been driving them with Qudelix 5k when mobile and an ifi hipdac 2 when at home. I listen in a recliner not a desk so I prefer peq in the dac. An rme adi dac 2 fs arrived Friday, quite an improvement, spent the weekend listening!
Congrats, the RME is a fantastic product! If you haven't noticed, there is a recent firmware upgrade that further improves it!

Thanks CB! Yes, that firmware upgrade is sweet, already using the features - love the post f/x meter option...

Nevi

Hi I'm Nevi, new member. I use Audeze LCD-X through a Chord Mojo into my KEF LS 50W II. I also have a pair NAD Viso HP50 and BeyerDynamics Aventho. After some time where I used the Beyers in bluetooth mode on my Macbook pro, I found out how good the NAD headphones actually sounded straight into the Macbook. Awesome headphones to the price.

I use Audeze SINE to my Iphone. Really fantastic OTG sound, especially with the lightning cable. I have not found anything on par, like Dragonfly red/cobalt into a LG V30. Good sound, but not as good as the SINEs. The DAC/DSP in the lightning cable is fantastic.

But my mains are Audeze LCD-X. I'm using them through ROON, and I think they sing convincing. I tried to make A-B test with Hifiman, Sennheiser, Grado and Focal. I kept coming back to the LCD-X, so I bought them. I'm really happy owning them. That big soundstage is addicting.
I just found this forum a couple of days ago. It's nice to be able to talk to other hi-fi heads. :)

Just added Dan Clark Stealth to the lot. Ouch! A major investment, but I mostly use headphones for music listening so its quite logical to concentrate the spending there.

Not much more left to do - I use the premium version of the IDAGIO classical streaming service (providing the original CD quality) and the DAC/amp is the well designed RME ADI-2 Pro so I guess after this investment, the quality of the recording is the main remaining limiting factor.
Congrats on the DCA Stealth. Bet it pairs nicely with the ADI 2! Gotta save my pennies - would love to eventually add the Stealth to my stable...

Hckd

Just curious ...
What headphone(s) do you currently own ?
Which one(s) is(are) used the most, or is your favorite ?
Hi there. New "member" but been reading ASR for a long time, studied EE so I really like the technical discussions around here, been really helpful in understanding the Hobby and building my list.

My current list (not going to change for ages tbh, as long as nothing fails me):
HD650 (have them for ages, unfortunately cant use them for long time since I changed the pads for new original ones, ear pain, gotta check out why) - Love their sound when EQ'd
IE80 my first IEM, really liked them when I got it (like 5 years ago), dunno why but they don't sound right to me nowadays (EQ'd or not), but I blame the next dude on the list...
HD800S - For me the true endgame... I can keep them up for hours uppon hours of listening and never get tired, just love the sound of them (EQ'd), they just put a smile on my face every time I fire them up...
Airpods Pro - Just for convenience when convenience is needed, really enjoy the sound of them some how.
AKG k702 - really like them EQ'd, but like the Sennies much more.
JBL Tune 702 BT - got a good deal on them and dicided to give it ago as per some post on the interwebs speaking about their sound (those close to Harmman ones) really nice for the price and convenience.

When on the couch for the listening sessions everything (except the IE80) driven by either and RME ADI 2 DAC FS (when lazy or dependant on the mood) or a Brocksieper Earmax SE (with ADI 2 as DAC) for the longer session, dunno why but I can hear this combo for hours uppon hours without ear or head fatigue, something that doesn't happen with only the RME on the chain. Source is a RPi4 running Volumio and an iPad or iPhone with Apple music feeding it.

When on computer for games, movies and such IFI micro IDSD BL.

When out of home (and when convenience calls) IFI xDSD (for the IE80), but most of the time nowadays just my AirPods Pro.

Everything connected with 99,99999999999% oxygen free... Just kidding, some old cables that dad had lying around probably older than me (32).

Next step will be speakers... Probably something active to plug directly to the RME... I dont like the idea of the Hobby getting out of hand (either monetary or too many equipments, I like to go the simple route) Just love those Genelec speakers...

Best regards.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there. New "member" but been reading ASR for a long time, studied EE so I really like the technical discussions around here, been really helpful in understanding the Hobby and building my list.

My current list (not going to change for ages tbh, as long as nothing fails me):
HD650 (have them for ages, unfortunately cant use them for long time since I changed the pads for new original ones, ear pain, gotta check out why) - Love their sound when EQ'd
IE80 my first IEM, really liked them when I got it (like 5 years ago), dunno why but they don't sound right to me nowadays (EQ'd or not), but I blame the next dude on the list...
HD800S - For me the true endgame... I can keep them up for hours uppon hours of listening and never get tired, just love the sound of them (EQ'd), they just put a smile on my face every time I fire them up...
Airpods Pro - Just for convenience when convenience is needed, really enjoy the sound of them some how.
AKG k702 - really like them EQ'd, but like the Sennies much more.
JBL Tune 702 BT - got a good deal on them and dicided to give it ago as per some post on the interwebs speaking about their sound (those close to Harmman ones) really nice for the price and convenience.

When on the couch for the listening sessions everything (except the IE80) driven by either and RME ADI 2 DAC FS (when lazy or dependant on the mood) or a Brocksieper Earmax SE (with ADI 2 as DAC) for the longer session, dunno why but I can hear this combo for hours uppon hours without ear or head fatigue, something that doesn't happen with only the RME on the chain. Source is a RPi4 running Volumio and an iPad or iPhone with Apple music feeding it.

When on computer for games, movies and such IFI micro IDSD BL.

When out of home (and when convenience calls) IFI xDSD (for the IE80), but most of the time nowadays just my AirPods Pro.

Everything connected with 99,99999999999% oxygen free... Just kidding, some old cables that dad had lying around probably older than me (32).

Next step will be speakers... Probably something active to plug directly to the RME... I dont like the idea of the Hobby getting out of hand (either monetary or too many equipments, I like to go the simple route) Just love those Genelec speakers...

Best regards.
Nice re the HD800s and the K702, I have two K702's amoungst my collection. What EQ's do you use for the HD800s & K702? How would you describe the differences between the K702 & the HD800s once EQ'd?

Top Bottom