• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

3125b

Major Contributor
Just got a HD 600 (non-refresh) in used condition with not much wear.
Talking first impression, I'm torn on these.
They sound lovely, both with (Oratory changed to be a little brighter) and without EQ. Fairly easy to drive too, work fine on just about anything.
But in terms of look and feel these just aren't 300€ headphones. The foam of the headband pad is completely disintegrated after just a few years on all the used ones, luckily replacing it is easy enough. I do however really like the mounting mechanism of the ear pads, very easy to take on and off.
Once upon a time they were comparable in price to the DT 880 and the K701, but nowadays they're more than twice the price, wich seems too much in comparison. However the used prices are equally as inflated, got a decent deal and still, relatively I paid more for these than for any of my other used headphones.

SonicallyDeaF

For pleasurable home use:
Sennheiser HD 650 & Beyerdynamic DT 1990 (Personally these two are really it; maybe and just maybe I will add a Dan Clark Aeon RT)

For angry office use:
M40x
HD 58x
HE 400i 2020

Disclaimer: my office is a room inside our home

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For pleasurable home use:
Sennheiser HD 650 & Beyerdynamic DT 1990 (Personally these two are really it; maybe and just maybe I will add a Dan Clark Aeon RT)

For angry office use:
M40x
HD 58x
HE 400i 2020

Disclaimer: my office is a room inside our home

Not a fan of Beyer at all due to default tuning be far to bright for my taste. I have considered the Aeon RT but not sure if I should be looking at open or closed, I would like something higher level to go along side my new 50S stack.

SonicallyDeaF

Not a fan of Beyer at all due to default tuning be far to bright for my taste. I have considered the Aeon RT but not sure if I should be looking at open or closed, I would like something higher level to go along side my new 50S stack.
Beyers to me are the I will fock sh*t up heavy metal cans! When I want to head bang and air guitar while my kids are making fun of me is the best!!!

I never heard the Ananda or the Sundara in my ears. However, countless praises I heard on the Sundara.
Best I can say is try the Drop x Dan Clark Aeon - they are in stock right now ready to ship for 499. If you do not like it, Drop has I believe a 30 day no ask return policy (better to check to make sure). I am also checking that out, same price as the RT, but if you want the xlr on the RT it's gonna cost xtra 200 bucks!

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Beyers to me are the I will fock sh*t up heavy metal cans! When I want to head bang and air guitar while my kids are making fun of me is the best!!!

I never heard the Ananda or the Sundara in my ears. However, countless praises I heard on the Sundara.
Best I can say is try the Drop x Dan Clark Aeon - they are in stock right now ready to ship for 499. If you do not like it, Drop has I believe a 30 day no ask return policy (better to check to make sure). I am also checking that out, same price as the RT, but if you want the xlr on the RT it's gonna cost xtra 200 bucks!

Aeon RT in stock right now on Dan Clark's website!

Brianc

I try to keep it to 3 no more than 4. Currently have Sennheiser 6xx (can't use much lately because open-back) and Audioquest Nightowls (use a lot lately because closed). The Nightowls are possibly most comfortable headphones I've owned, and they sound great with most music though I prefer the 6xx for vocals and classical.
In the past I've owned Sennheiser 555, which I used for over ten years and were extremely comfortable but lacking bass. I recently sold them and AT 50mx, which I disliked both for sound and comfort.
On order I have Beyerdynamic dt-150. And when I can use open back design again I might sell one of these and get the HifiMan Sundaras, which I was very impressed with in a brief audition.

devopsprodude

Hifiman Sundara - easily the best headphones I've owned and listened to, plus they're pretty comfortable
Sony WH-1000XM3 - Great for noise canceling and comfort, but not music unless you need the noise canceling
OPPO PM-3 - Comfortable, pretty good sound overall, soundstage definitely lacking because of the closed backs
Update: I now own a pair of AKG K712 cans. Very comfortable, even more comfortable than the Sundaras. I haven't done a direct listening comparison, but sound is pretty comparable to the Sundara cans, although soundstage might not be as good (but still very good). But that's not surprising given that I'm using EQ profiles via SoundSource. It's fun to flip through the various profiles (for K712, it has profiles from Oracle, Crinacle, Innerfidelity, RTings, Headphones.com, and Reference Audio Analyzer) and see which one you like best.

concorde1

Currently:

Audeze LCD-2F
Fostex TH900MK2
Klipsch HP-3

All EQ'd to Harman.

Soon replacing LCD-2F with LCD-3F (for no good reason).

Since they all seem to measure with low distortion they can be EQ'd. I feel weird knowing that they're expensive but don't measure "well", as though I should get headphones that were designed better. For example Heresy IV speaker measures poorly (same manufacturer as HP-3), so I feel like I'm dipping into snake oil (because that's a multi thousand $ speaker, and if they haven't done that properly, what does that say about the manufacturer?). No maliciousness intended.

Last edited:

CTRLM

Updated status for me:

Already owned:
Senn HD 600
Senn HD 650
Added in the last 6 weeks:
Hifiman Ananda
Focal Clear Pros

GianDi

Grado SR125-32ohm
Beyerdynamic DT880-600ohm
they're quite different in sound, but I love both.

I prefer Grado's around on mobile devices, Beyer's at home for their precision.
Comparing to speakers, one goes to Klipsch, the other to Maggie's.

NO EQ anytime

paolomo

Forum Donor
Alright, I joined the forum a while ago, so it’s time to post here too!

To enjoy music:
Sennheiser HD-650, HiFiMAN Sundara, Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 Ohm

As monitors:
Beyerdynamic DT 770 250 Ohm (they may sound funny, but I just need them to be comfortable)

As field recorder monitors and to enjoy music on the go:
Audio Technica ATH M50x, Shure SE215

Because I’m worth it: :D
Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 Ohm (the treble maker)

edahl

Currently, Æon Flow Closed (want a Harman tuned one), AKG K271 for work (looking at you K371 hehe),

aaand a Hifiman HE1000se on the way; really hope I'll like them. The v1 had the annoying property of making everything sound good by being kinda diffuse and eerie: I prefer badly recorded music to sound bad. If I don't like it, it's back to the HD 800S.

And a Sennheiser Momentum M2 wired for dog walks lol.

ClementNerma

I've been using a Sennheiser HD 58X for almost a year, and I'm enjoying every bit of it

It's true that this isn't the most neutral headphones out there, but their price/quality ratio is pretty incredible, and they have a slightly warm sound that's a lot more comfortable to my ears (I'm extremely sensitive to highs).

And for outdoor use, a Sennheiser Momentum I've got for ~3 years.

mrbungle

Hifiman Arya for music and movies.
DT 770 pro for Zoom (when I don’t feel like fiddling with the Shure 215, which is most of the time).
Bose QC35ii (when anc or wireless is needed)
AirPods Pro for outdoors and exercise.

Feel like I’m now perfectly covered.

Mancunian

At least reading others has helped confirm its not just me that has a "problem";), in no particular order:

Senn HD6XX - Sometimes I love these, sometimes I hate them
Apple AP Max - Day to day, working from home, best wireless I've heard, used for meetings
Apple AP Pro - For out and about (with comply tips, none of the silicon ones sealed well)
Grado SR325e - Love the sound but fatiguing
Sony MDR1A - Beginning of the rabbit hole
Sony WM-1000XM3 (Wife now has these)
Sony WF-1000XM3 - Struggled to get these to fit right
Ety ER4XR - Current favourite
Moondrop Starfield - Like the sound of these, but struggle with the fit
V-Moda XS - They were very much reduced, fall off all the time, sound good but I don't have a particular use case for them
Bose Soundsport Wireless - Fun sounding, great for running

In transit - Moondrop Blessing 2

Probably missed some...

reallyoldcob

Well they didn't last long. I wondered if I could get away with open backs and was assured by the working-from-home wife, within the first 15 minutes, that I could not. I wasn't listening to anything particularly obnoxious and not very loud and got asked to turn it down.

Things I did notice in that brief time though:
  • They sounded ok - nothing revelatory, but then 15 minutes is not enough to make a proper judgement. Just noting that I wasn't blown away. No U12t obvious quality differences here.
  • The packaging is pretty chintzy. The box is nice, but the ruffled satin inside would be better if it was just foam cutout. I actually don't mind cheap packaging because at least you're not overpaying for the box, in theory. Still, a noticeable difference from the Focal's.
  • They don't feel nice in the hand. Lots of sharp edges and a stiff pleather headband, which would presumably loosen up somewhere past the 15 minutes I gave them. Still, those sharp edges won't. Again, the Focal's were much nicer.
  • I thought the elongated pad shape would be more comfortable than round pads, but I could feel pressure all the way down the sides in front of my ear and they drop so low on my face. Surprisingly warm in there too.
So, I might have to scratch the Clear's from the watchlist and either think about E-Mu Teaks or just stick with these IEM's and stop buying things.

I don't know if you're still looking into open-back planars but I actually preferred the Sundara over the Ananda that I tried. Still love my Sundara one year later. I also have a Focal Clear and I go for the Sundara like 60% of the time although I use the Clear more often for work
as an audio engineer.

Fernando

Forum Donor
I agree with you on K702 front, it's my favourite headphone for those reasons, but it does need to be EQ'd....if you can get your hands on another K702 try my Harman Curve EQ that I did which is based on "calibrated" Innerfidelity measurements, with the "calibration" process creating a target curve that makes somewhat flawed Innerfidelity measurements as relevant/accurate as Oratory1990 measurements (subject to argument)......low end is great with this EQ and clean bass too:
View attachment 96905
I find K702 so good now that this is my end journey for searching for a headphone, I'm gonna buy another pair in a sale in case they stop making them!

This eq is with de bass mod?is different for the k712Pro?

Last edited:
Top Bottom