• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

3125b

Major Contributor
I have added three headphones to my collection over the last couple month:

- Superlux HD-668 B. Somewhat unpleasant headphone with potential, needs EQ and definitely better pads, can made to sound quite decent. For reference: I paid 10€ in very good/like new condition, new price is 33€ currently.

- Sennheiser HD 555. Somewhat of an oldie, rather bright but not sharp, can be used without EQ, good comfort. Plactic construction doesn't last forever. I paid 20€ in barely worn but aged condition, can't be bought new anymore, usually goes for 25-50€ used.

- Sennheiser HD 569. Surprisingly good headphone with good imaging for a closed back. Benefits from EQ but isn't bad without, good comfort, same plastic construction. I paid 50€ in like new condition, currently 109€ new.

Booker

Forum Donor
For outdoor and in the office SONY WH-1000XM3. To listen to any sound from a home computer, BOSE QC25. And not used SHURE SRH840.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Current list of over ear headphones
Open: Focal Elear, Sennheiser HD660S, Philips X3
Closed: Focal Elegia, Sennheiser HD-1/Momentum 2

With the Focals and the HD660S, I have swapped out the original pads for Dekonis.

genrl

Headphones:
Focal Clear
Drop 6xx
Hifiman HE400 (original)
V-moda M100
Sony MDR-V6

IEM:
Periodic Audio Be
Jade Audio EA3
KZ ZS10 Pro
Urbanfun YBF-ISS014
Semkarch SKC-CNT1
TFZ T2
Tin T2
TRN V90
Blon BL05
Blon BL03
Blon BL01
Cambridge Audio SE1
Sony MH755 (many, soldered proper cables on them)

BillG

Major Contributor
I've updated recently.

Headphones:
Sony MDR 7506 - I've owned these since '96 and they're in need of some cosmetic surgery. I rarely use them these days.

IEMs:
KZ ZAX - quite good for the price, and excellent with the AutoEQ settings.

KZ ASX - KZ overcompensated with the tuning by making the bass too prominent and the treble too attenuated. However, they respond well to EQ, and I'd only recommend them that way.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just picked up some Shure 1540’s as a closed-back alternative to my Sundaras, but I still love my Sundaras. I tried to compare them, but my glasses kept getting knocked up when I was changing headphones so I stopped. In that short time, I couldn’t really notice a difference. Both are Eq’ed to Harman.

Last edited:

earlevel

OK, I'll play:

Sony MDR-7520
Sony MDR-7506 (but haven't been out of the bag since I bought the '20s six years ago)

I mainly use these for tracking vocals, and some mixing checks.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I just tried the "comes with" earbuds I got with my Moto G7 phone a year ago.

They sound real dull, and the EQ in the phone didn't seem to do much for them.

*searches for and finally finds the adapter for the HD650 1/4" plug

Sounds fine, able to play just loudly enough at full volume, so, it's not the phone.

Maybe I'll listen to it someday.

*throws the buds into the junk box

samwell7

OK, I'll play:

Sony MDR-7520
Sony MDR-7506 (but haven't been out of the bag since I bought the '20s six years ago)

I mainly use these for tracking vocals, and some mixing checks.
Finally another MDR-7520 owner! I bought mine for the same reason years ago (mix checks etc.).
I find them quite good, probably translate the best of any headphones I tried to mix with back in the day

Maki

Electrostats are ... interesting, too many factors that can change their sound though.
Besides probably the best electrostat for a reasonable price is not even talked about - the Sonoma one.

The only thing special about the Sonoma is the DSP correction baked into the amplifier. Other than that, they use a single ended design, which adds a whole bunch of distortion if Tyll's measurements are anything to go by. The preset they include is certainly nice, but you can roll your own PEQ for the extravagant price of... zero dollars.

earlevel

Finally another MDR-7520 owner! I bought mine for the same reason years ago (mix checks etc.).
I find them quite good, probably translate the best of any headphones I tried to mix with back in the day
I agree. I got them when I wanted to step up in my vocal game, and wanted to hear the tonal nuances better than 7506 when laying down a track. They were immediately revealing. The same for mixing. I see claim they are "essentially" the same as MDR-Z1000 at more money, maybe that's why they were dropped.

(Funny, a friend shared that video of Ed Sheeran going to Andrea Bocelli's to record a song—$7k+ mic, MDR-7506 to monitor. LOL, they do the job, great for the money, just funny...)

samwell7

I agree. I got them when I wanted to step up in my vocal game, and wanted to hear the tonal nuances better than 7506 when laying down a track. They were immediately revealing. The same for mixing. I see claim they are "essentially" the same as MDR-Z1000 at more money, maybe that's why they were dropped.

(Funny, a friend shared that video of Ed Sheeran going to Andrea Bocelli's to record a song—$7k+ mic, MDR-7506 to monitor. LOL, they do the job, great for the money, just funny...)

They look the same as the Z1000 but they're different headphones, I remember a few threads comparing the two and they had different frequency responses. I think the 7520 was discontinued because it was 'too dangerous' to be sold in Europe, see here

That video sounds like a classic ha!

earlevel

They look the same as the Z1000 but they're different headphones, I remember a few threads comparing the two and they had different frequency responses. I think the 7520 was discontinued because it was 'too dangerous' to be sold in Europe, see here

That video sounds like a classic ha!
Wow—OK, that explains a lot. As nutty as it sounds. Anyway, another reason I bought the 7520 was I knew my headphone output would drive it with plenty of volume, so it's funny that was its demise.

SeaNNyT

Just got some LCD2Fs and have been comparing them to the Anandas after EQing both to fix dowsides and my personal preference. I have to say I am more impressed with the cheaper Ananda in technical capabilities. The brighter sound makes it seem far more clear and capable of clarity. Stringed instruments sound natural and amazing as well as pianos, and vocals, especially female.

M83

Denon AH-D2000 and Philips Fidelio X2HR. Love the Denon's. May sell my X2HR in the new year.

Always been keen to try TH-900, TX-00 Purpleheart, and Audeze.

pl_svn

headphones (main/secondary system): Focal Clear/HiFiMan Sundara
IEMs: Atomic Floyd SuperDarts, Cayin YB04

took me months, had to listen to all the usual suspects (in a 500/2000€ range), to finally pick Focal, and Clears in particular, among them all :)
btw... at my usual listening volume levels never had the faintest clipping with any Focal headphone I tried/owned (Elegia, Elex, Clear, Stellia, Utopia)

Blujackaal

Got a DT 770 pro for £105, Stock fine at a lower volume. But with EQ it outperforms the SRH1540 i had & 95% close to my ER4SR. Not a fan of how easy driver flex is on Dynamic headphones, It weird how balanced armatures are very robust to this.

virtua

Just got some LCD2Fs and have been comparing them to the Anandas after EQing both to fix dowsides and my personal preference. I have to say I am more impressed with the cheaper Ananda in technical capabilities. The brighter sound makes it seem far more clear and capable of clarity. Stringed instruments sound natural and amazing as well as pianos, and vocals, especially female.

I found the same thing to be true, equivalently or even lower priced Hifimans tend to substantially beat out the Audezes just about all fronts of technical detail. Focal is much the same. I wouldn't buy Audeze headphones based on technicalities especially when considering price. You buy them for their unique sound signature, with that being said - the competition is just so good with technical detail it's not to say that Audezes aren't good at it, just not quite as good as the competition.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT150 with DT100 velour pads (home use, hifi and digital piano)
Bose SC25 II (travel)
Apple AirPods Pro (outdoor)

No need for more...

Reactions: PSO
Top Bottom