• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Reckoner

-Kz Zs10 Pro
-Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee

Whit TempoTec Sonata HD PRO on my smartphone Xiaomi and PC (Windows 10)

Thanks to this forum I bought TempoTec Sonata HD PRO, and I am very satisfied

Sorry my english
Greetings from Argentina

Reactions: PSO

ondert

SHP9500 + V-Moda BoomPro for gaming
Sony MDR-1A
Koss KSC75 on the go
Monoprice 8323 going to mod them maybe

so, i collected some entry level headphones. Now looking to go for planar.

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
Sony mdr ex800 st, discontinued Japan only Pro item.
Sony md r, freebie with a phone purchase, but they do have the best hinge arrangement I've ever owned on headphones.

Stax lambda sr pro, with the transformer driver srd 7sb mk2 pro something or other.

MSTARK

Most to least used:

•Sennheiser HD700 (workhorse)
•Audeze iSine10 (portable favorites)
•Aeon2 C (all-rounder+ comfort)
•Audeze LCDX (scotch companion)
•Fostex TH-X00 (nice cans/bad wire)
•AKG K702 ( needs bass boost+pads. OK 4 Classical. Decent comfort)
•Stax lambda pro system (Vintage. Old school Stax sound and “comfort”)

edit: I didn’t list IEM or Noise Canceling “headphones”. Not my cup of tea. Also no ranking as I like them all in one way or the other.

Two pairs of Koss KPH30iW added.

Tup3x

Been swapping between HD 6XX, "HD 600" and HD 660 S again and I can't help it - both HD 6XX and HD 600 just sound better to my ear. Imaging, staging, frequency response, texture, clarity, bottom rumble and sharpness. HD 660 S sound like there's a blanket between the driver and the ear - it sounds somewhat muffled and not very coherent. The "spatial feeling" also feels wrong (I really can't describe it better). At least my HD 6XX and make shift HD 600 sound similar enough that unless I switch instantly between them it's hard to notice differences (there's small differences in frequency response but in grand scheme those aren't earth shattering) - it's like instant adjustment. Switching to HD 660 S from those on the other hand... It just feels like instant downgrade. I'll just give up on HD 660 S. At least the headband is nicer than on HD 6XX so I swapped the shells...

By the way what would ne appropriate way to call headphone that use everything from HD 58X Jubilee except the driver capsules? I replaced HD 58X Jubilees with HD 600 spare driver capsules (091570). On the other hand HD 58X Jubilee is rather accurate...
Sennheiser_Kuulokekapseli_HD600_2_091570.jpg

By the way, both were same batch and to my ear they match just as well as the ones in HD 6XX. Definitely more enjoyable this way than with HD 58X Jubilee drivers.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Been swapping between HD 6XX, "HD 600" and HD 660 S again and I can't help it - both HD 6XX and HD 600 just sound better to my ear. Imaging, staging, frequency response, texture, clarity, bottom rumble and sharpness. HD 660 S sound like there's a blanket between the driver and the ear - it sounds somewhat muffled and not very coherent. The "spatial feeling" also feels wrong (I really can't describe it better). At least my HD 6XX and make shift HD 600 sound similar enough that unless I switch instantly between them it's hard to notice differences (there's small differences in frequency response but in grand scheme those aren't earth shattering) - it's like instant adjustment. Switching to HD 660 S from those on the other hand... It just feels like instant downgrade. I'll just give up on HD 660 S. At least the headband is nicer than on HD 6XX so I swapped the shells...

The HD600/650/6XX has substantially (about 4dB) more 'presence' between 1.5 and 4kHz. This is quite audible.
Try to compare with EQ to get to know what the drivers are actually capable off.

An critism of the HD650/6XX but more so HD600 was that the presence region was too elevated. This is addressed in the HD660S.
Of course this means less clarity and a bit more 'relaxed' sound for the HD660S. Upper treble in the HD600/650/6XX is also elevated relatively.

I think the HD660S is not a successor of the HD650 but an alternative for folks that find the HD600/650/6XX series too 'forward' sounding.
A matter of preference and taste I reckon.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
First post here. I'm curious to see where headphones measurements will be headed and would be interested if we could gain insights from measurements not done before (such as IMD).

I used to own a variety of headphones, some of them high-end ones (none of which provided in my opinion a full upgrade over my HD650), but right now I rather contend myself with a pair of speakers / Dirac and... AirPods Pro. The first pair of wireless headphones I enjoyed was the B&W P7 Wireless (measurements suggest that its wired cousin isn't far off from the HD650, except with a lot - too much for me - more bass, so no surprise) and after going wireless it's really really hard for me to go back to wired on the go. They broke and I've yet to find anything to replace them to my liking.

I don't know if it will be technically feasible but I dream of a time when the headphones I wear can adjust various aspects of SQ in real time over the entire FR spectrum to ensure hitting a consistent target at my eardrum. Like real-time analysis of the shape of my ears / positioning / seal via multiple sensors (maybe even real-time analysis of the 3D space inside the cup with technologies akin to Apple's Face ID IR projection for example and real-time calculation of that space's impact on acoustics ?). Perhaps this would be easier for IEMs like the AirPods Pro's next generations once DSPs can fonction at higher speed in small, power efficient packages ?

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Bought 1770 recently. Didnt liked it. Bass is ridiculously boosted and low quality, rest of the spectrum is recessed and unbalanced. It doesnt have traditional beyer treble but it has brightness somewhere. Sounds like it has lots of dips and peaks and veery boosted bass. 1990 much better than these. I also prefer dt 770 over these.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have decided to add a pair of Focal Clears to my Audeze LCD-3. Currently using a Topping DX7 Pro to drive them. I may replace it sometime in the future but I have no plans to do so in the short term.

Martin

I purchased a pair of Focal Clears in late June and now own both the Clears and the pair of Audeze LCD-3. I am still using a Topping DX7 Pro to drive both headphones from the 4-pin XLR balanced jack using stock cables.

I sent my Audeze LCD-3 in to have a cracked cup repaired and Audeze measured a channel imbalance. They replaced the drivers under warranty and returned my rebuilt headphones yesterday. The LCD-3 are basically new; the Clears are very lightly used (the original owner replaced them with Utopias).

Last night I sat down to compare both headphones. I did so listening to one song on one headphone then on the next. Back and forth between them for about 2 hours. The comparison was sighted (obviously) and not level matched. I played with the volume and listened at my normal listening levels.

These are my initial highly personal, subjective impressions:
  • Clear just a tad bit brighter in the treble, pushes right up against sibilance without being sibilant. LCD-3 treble just slightly more recessed but still very present.
  • Clear and LCD-3 midrange sound nearly identical to my ears.
  • LCD-3 bass just digs slightly deeper and with a touch more authority (slam?). Clear bass just slightly more recessed but still very palpable.
  • LCD-3 more open soundstage – more space between instruments – slightly airier. Clear has a more compact soundstage – slightly less spacious.
  • Clear has an edge on clarity. The LCD-3 is ever so slightly less clear – thin veil or the slightest hint of muddiness.
Songs used:
  1. Reasons Why (DSD64) - Nickel Creek
  2. I Love You (FLAC 16/44) - Sarah McLachlan
  3. Bad Guy and Ilomilo (FLAC 16/44) - Billie Eilish
  4. We're An American Band (DSD64) - Grand Funk Railroad
  5. Unforgiven and One (16/44) - Metallica
  6. Crime Of The Century (24/192) - Supertramp
  7. Stairway To Heaven (16/44) - Led Zeppelin

I also played a few songs with a new Loxjie P20 headphone amp I just picked up. It's fun and has a surprising amount of power. I am using a $12 5A 12V SMPS on the amp as I read the included 1.67A 12V SMPS limits the amp. I also swapped the Chinese tubes with a pair of $3.99 NOS JAN G.E. 2C51 tubes.

Martin

lukyjohnson

I use Syska Jazz Wireless Bluetooth Headset with Mic. It comes up with simple and sleek design stands out and high-quality speakers.

MSTARK

I purchased a pair of Focal Clears in late June and now own both the Clears and the pair of Audeze LCD-3. I am still using a Topping DX7 Pro to drive both headphones from the 4-pin XLR balanced jack using stock cables.

I sent my Audeze LCD-3 in to have a cracked cup repaired and Audeze measured a channel imbalance. They replaced the drivers under warranty and returned my rebuilt headphones yesterday. The LCD-3 are basically new; the Clears are very lightly used (the original owner replaced them with Utopias).

Last night I sat down to compare both headphones. I did so listening to one song on one headphone then on the next. Back and forth between them for about 2 hours. The comparison was sighted (obviously) and not level matched. I played with the volume and listened at my normal listening levels.

These are my initial highly personal, subjective impressions:
  • Clear just a tad bit brighter in the treble, pushes right up against sibilance without being sibilant. LCD-3 treble just slightly more recessed but still very present.
  • Clear and LCD-3 midrange sound nearly identical to my ears.
  • LCD-3 bass just digs slightly deeper and with a touch more authority (slam?). Clear bass just slightly more recessed but still very palpable.
  • LCD-3 more open soundstage – more space between instruments – slightly airier. Clear has a more compact soundstage – slightly less spacious.
  • Clear has an edge on clarity. The LCD-3 is ever so slightly less clear – thin veil or the slightest hint of muddiness.
Songs used:
  1. Reasons Why (DSD64) - Nickel Creek
  2. I Love You (FLAC 16/44) - Sarah McLachlan
  3. Bad Guy and Ilomilo (FLAC 16/44) - Billie Eilish
  4. We're An American Band (DSD64) - Grand Funk Railroad
  5. Unforgiven and One (16/44) - Metallica
  6. Crime Of The Century (24/192) - Supertramp
  7. Stairway To Heaven (16/44) - Led Zeppelin

I also played a few songs with a new Loxjie P20 headphone amp I just picked up. It's fun and has a surprising amount of power. I am using a $12 5A 12V SMPS on the amp as I read the included 1.67A 12V SMPS limits the amp. I also swapped the Chinese tubes with a pair of $3.99 NOS JAN G.E. 2C51 tubes.

Martin
Did you try using Audeze EQ curve?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

A bit OT. I have listed the headphones I currently own and have come to the conclusion that my headphones journey is likely over if it for sonics. Through EQ , they (HifiMan HE6, HE 560, Stax 007) sound almost the same/ The Stax bass can be made to be quite strong, yet that of the HE6, remains IMO, better. The Stax remains overall the superior headphones but the HE6 remains the favorite and the HE560 the most used :) .... through EQ, to repeat, slight differences.
Conclusion: EQ is necessary in headphones. Intrinsically good headphones driver, a beefy amp and a PC for EQ ... I don't see myself buying a >$1000 headphones , In fact , I may not buy another headphones for years.

Lo

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

A bit OT. I have listed the headphones I currently own and have come to the conclusion that my headphones journey is likely over if it for sonics. Through EQ , they (HifiMan HE6, HE 560, Stax 007) sound almost the same/ The Stax bass can be made to be quite strong, yet that of the HE6, remains IMO, better. The Stax remains overall the superior headphones but the HE6 remains the favorite and the HE560 the most used :) .... through EQ, to repeat, slight differences.
Conclusion: EQ is necessary in headphones. Intrinsically good headphones driver, a beefy amp and a PC for EQ ... I don't see myself buying a >$1000 headphones , In fact , I may not buy another headphones for years.

Lo
Care to share your 560 eq profile?

Can't find one that works for me.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you try using Audeze EQ curve?

I didn't know what that was so I Googled it. I use a piCorePlayer connected to LMS running on my Synology DS918+. Therefore I am unable to use their Reveal+ software. I did find this Reddit that claims to provide the Audeze EQ settings: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bxpvu
Doing some more research I found this Reddit providing EQ settings for 700+ headphones: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/92b08s
I've looked into using EQ settings in piCorePlayer and the process is a little complex. I'm a software engineer with a CSE degree so I don't mind experimenting with complex processes. The problem I have is I teach myself how to do something, do it, then find 6, 12 or 18 months down the road that I've completely forgotten what I did and how I did it. :p I've learned to document stuff like this but still... I may play with some settings.

I'm also seriously considering relegating a NUC10i3FNK I purchased for playing Minecraft on my 4K TV to an audio server role. (Frame rates suck and I may replace it with a NUC8i7HVK.) Problem is I love the convenience of a headless Raspberry Pi and using my iPhone as a controller.

Martin

MSTARK

I didn't know what that was so I Googled it. I use a piCorePlayer connected to LMS running on my Synology DS918+. Therefore I am unable to use their Reveal+ software. I did find this Reddit that claims to provide the Audeze EQ settings: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bxpvu
Doing some more research I found this Reddit providing EQ settings for 700+ headphones: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/92b08s
I've looked into using EQ settings in piCorePlayer and the process is a little complex. I'm a software engineer with a CSE degree so I don't mind experimenting with complex processes. The problem I have is I teach myself how to do something, do it, then find 6, 12 or 18 months down the road that I've completely forgotten what I did and how I did it. :p I've learned to document stuff like this but still... I may play with some settings.

I'm also seriously considering relegating a NUC10i3FNK I purchased for playing Minecraft on my 4K TV to an audio server role. (Frame rates suck and I may replace it with a NUC8i7HVK.) Problem is I love the convenience of a headless Raspberry Pi and using my iPhone as a controller.

Martin
I almost feel sorry for mentioning that. Lol
You weren’t joking. When you see a body of water, you jump ..... and don’t stop till you reach the bottom.
Would love to chat tech-talk but unfortunately you’re dealing with severely incompetent luddite. :D

JediMa

Ok my Headphones:

Planar: Hifiman He-560
Open Over Ear: Sennheiser HD 600, AKG K712 pro
Semi Closed: Fostex T50RP Mk3 modded
Closed Over Ear: Meze 99 Classic, V-Moda Crossfade M100
IEM: FiiO FA1, Kbear Diamond

Top Bottom