• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

milezone

Forum Donor
I’ll play. HD58X, Elegia and L300 Limited
View attachment 31477View attachment 31477
Excellent taste in gear. I love the small form factor of the SRM-252s however a better amp, or even a step up transformer makes a world of difference with Stax headphones. I've found the 252s doesn't have enough power to properly drive any Staxs 20-20khz and results in a compressed and distorted sound when pushed. In my experience amps like the 007t and upwards (Kevin Gilmore amps) are necessary to get the most out of a Stax headphones. The next best option is a step up transformer. That said, at such price points, it's worth considering the RAAL SR1A over any Stax offerings even. I'm eager to hear a pair myself and many seem to think they're the new king. With your setup however, I'd be listening mostly through my speakers.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tend to think that headphones are going the same way as speakers, wireless with the amplifier and DAC built into the headphones. The mainstream market has already gone that way and I think the higher end will follow. The AKG N90Q isn't wireless but I think it demonstrates the potential of moving the amplifier into the headphone with built in DSP and auto calibration. My concern is battery longevity.

milezone

Forum Donor
I agree, battery longevity is a concern and in addition the still unknown effects of EMF/EMR on the brain.

Tool

I forgot to mansion that I use also Etymotic Er4SR at work:)

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD800s that I use the most (still trying to track down the details on the 6k hump!)
Beyerdynamic DT880s that I bought for mixing. I tried the 660s but they were a little bass-heavy for me.

When I heard the HD800s, I didn't even have to think about it-- after trying out 20+ different models, they were immediately the best I have heard.

Interested in comparing them to a comparable pair of planar magnetics, but haven't been able to figure out which ones to try. Any suggestions would be a great help, actually!

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Excellent taste in gear. I love the small form factor of the SRM-252s however a better amp, or even a step up transformer makes a world of difference with Stax headphones. I've found the 252s doesn't have enough power to properly drive any Staxs 20-20khz and results in a compressed and distorted sound when pushed. In my experience amps like the 007t and upwards (Kevin Gilmore amps) are necessary to get the most out of a Stax headphones. The next best option is a step up transformer. That said, at such price points, it's worth considering the RAAL SR1A over any Stax offerings even. I'm eager to hear a pair myself and many seem to think they're the new king. With your setup however, I'd be listening mostly through my speakers.

I auditioned both the 252 and 353 at home. I heard no differences at all between them and I use the 252 at 9-10 o’clock volume levels. I don’t think it has a power issue at least with the L300 Limited.

milezone

Forum Donor
I auditioned both the 252 and 353 at home. I heard no differences at all between them and I use the 252 at 9-10 o’clock volume levels. I don’t think it has a power issue at least with the L300 Limited.

In that case I appreciate the tip. I think I was listening through a pair of L700s and 007s. It was in Osaka Japan and about two years ago and I don't remember the exact circumstances. I just remember with at least one of the headphones, probably the 007s it was clear that the 252 didn't have enough juice to properly drive the phones. And it sounded very basic is the best way I can describe it. On a different trip to Japan a few years prior, I remember listening to a pair of 007s, powered an 007t amplifier and a Marantz SACD (?) source and was as awestruck as I've ever been to this day by any audio gear. Other listening sessions include Soundlab panels, Apogee Studio Grands, direct driven Acoustats, plasma tweeters, Meyersound Bluehorns and Linkwitz 521s in his home.

The difference between that setup and everything I had heard prior was that that setup was so obviously superior. I've owned 007s, Lambdas, Pros and Signatures and some others which I forget, an SRD7Pro, an SRM T1W, and an SRA 12S, over the years. None of those amplifiers aside from the step up transformer with the right amp -- at the time an Almarro 205a/318B -- satisfied me in the way that the 007t plus 007s (og version) did. That said I love the Lambdas even with a lesser power amp, and I could live happily with such a setup. I may pick up a 252s and an L300 signature or similar as I've been Staxless for too long. That said, I do think Staxs really shine with a premium amplifier.

Last edited:

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
^ This is an awesome combo, especially after some EQ. I am in awe about these - they are soooooo on a different league compared to traditional headphones and I've owned a bunch of good ones as well (HD800, HD700, HD650, HD600 etc). After getting these about a month ago to my home setup, I was shocked to hear how bad my work Focal Elegias now sound. :) I have started to EQ them as well and it does help a lot...

EDIT: The 252 does look and feel a bit whimsy, but it sits nicely on top of the ADI-2. If there only were better Stax amps which are not the size of a shoebox?!

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Perhaps only to those who don't mind spending the extra money.
To me the DT1770 lacks the 'one note bass' I hear in the DT770. To me that was annoying but many folks don't hear it or aren't bothered by it.
I fitted mine with other pads and an external filter.
Also the treble peak and mids are higher in SQ.

I bought it 2nd hand and may not have bought one at the MSRP. The DT770 is a good budget closed headphone. The DT1770 is a good closed headphone which (to me) sounds better, more refined than the DT770 and looks 'better' as well but is a little more heavy in weight.

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
Perhaps only to those who don't mind spending the extra money.
To me the DT1770 lacks the 'one note bass' I hear in the DT770. To me that was annoying but many folks don't hear it or aren't bothered by it.
I fitted mine with other pads and an external filter.
Also the treble peak and mids are higher in SQ.

I bought it 2nd hand and may not have bought one at the MSRP. The DT770 is a good budget closed headphone. The DT1770 is a good closed headphone which (to me) sounds better, more refined than the DT770 and looks 'better' as well but is a little more heavy in weight.

Ok thanks. Do you know any better closed headphone?

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I haven't heard all closed headphones but for a closed headphone in this price class it is one of the better/best sounding ones to me.
Others may well prefer a different tonal character.

Newk Yuler

Hifiman Arya. On a balanced cable/amp. Endgame until I hit lotto.

Notes: Headband clips weak. Ears can get warm. Would not expose to rough use. (Handle with care, respect.)

Other older headphones far inferior, relegated to utility. Not worth mentioning.

Stax make you look like a Cyberman.

Dotcha

Focal Clear, Denon D7200, Senn HD650, Audeze LCD-2 classic & Sine DX(Something that won't break my neck), Sony Z7M2, B&W P7 wireless. Always thinking of reducing them, but they won't sell for good price as second-hand I guess...

Robin L

Master Contributor
Sennheiser HD 579, HD 599 [open back], Urbanite XL [closed back]
Klipsch X11i IEM

All are high efficiency/low impedance headgear, so they work with my low-power DAP, Fiio M3K. All are, to a degree, "Phat", with noticeable mid-bass boost. Fortunately, the open back phones can be equalized. The Urbanite has a bigger "bump", I just kick back with that headset and play techno/dance with those. The IEMs don't get all that much use, weird to have buds going that deep into my ear canals. Like the Sennheiser HD 599s the best. The HD 579 is very close in SQ, but are a little vague in comparison.

minusnine

Up until now all my headphones have been decidedly bargain basement.

Chronologically, these have been:
Koss KSC75 which sound good but are too uncomfortable to actually use;
Sennheiser px100ii with the yellow hd414 pads to temper the overwhelmingly muddy bass with the original pads,
Goldring dr150 which are my current overall favourites;
Soundmagic E30 iems for when I’m out and about, and which sound ok but have an icy cold treble;
Philips Downtowns which are my favourite portables despite the obvious colouration, and just recently;
AKG y50 which are fine but I prefer the Philips so gave these to my daughter.

But, in looking for replacements for the Downtowns (now that the material has started peeling off the earpads in big flakes) this very thread inspired me to look for some used NAD hp50s, with the result that there is a new-old stock pair coming my way for £70.

Later in the year I’ll have a bit of money to spend and I’m strongly considering getting a JDS atom amp and sennheiser hd58x, if I can convince myself the package will be noticeably better than the goldrings.

Last edited:

Redbeard65

Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD600 and HD650
Shure SRH940 and SRH1450
Because sometimes you feel like flat and sometime you feel like fun ;)

Top Bottom