• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

luisma

Forum Donor
Received the HD560S today, when EQ'd using the settings provided by @Robbo99999 (thank you very much again) changes drastically, it's very good just out of the box but the presentation and tonality changes for the better with the EQ.
1674525887022.png

Both channels outputs are pretty much the same, set up to Mono and to my ears (as I have no headphone measurement device) sounds about the same.
Now that I think of it I have a Umik that I could set up with RoomEQ Wizard, calibrate it with the file, set the EQ to mono, set balance to one channel and do some averaged measurements for specific sections on one channel then the other and compare the C weighted measurements, just to make sure (assuming I can get the umik to the same distance more or less from the driver(.
My favorites instruments to determine tonality is the piano and violins (my wife she's a pianist), I have been listening all afternoon to Caroline Campbell and then I went with the Zepp II, found notes on Moby Dick and Lemmon Song that never heard before.
For the money the build construction, earpads, lightness of the headset and overall quality makes this definitely a perfect entry level headphone.
I thought it would be easier to drive, or I'm deaf, listening from my PC Realtek and my E1DA 9038D I'm listening at Windows volume 93 / 94 loud. The 9038 is set to -1db under max volume as max. For some reason I expected that 60 volume would be enough but I'm right there at the end, 100 is loud for me, but I know if I get a more difficult to drive headphone (DCA cough cough) I'm going to need an HPA.

Very happy with the purchase, thank you all again.

(right now listening to Czardas gives me goosebumps) LOL

Edit: Briefly tried HQPlayer with the Matrix Pipeline and the EQ filter

iir:type=peak;f=53;g=-2.3;q=1.0,iir:type=lshelf;f=105;g=5.5;q=0.71,iir:type=peak;f=140;g=-1.8;q=0.7,iir:type=peak;f=1350;g=-3.2;q=1.5,iir:type=peak;f=1830;g=2.3;q=1.3,iir:type=peak;f=3230;g=-1.3;q=4.0,iir:type=peak;f=4420;g=-3.1;q=4.5,iir:type=peak;f=5600;g=-4.1;q=2.5,iir:type=peak;f=7000;g=2.5;q=1.2,iir:type=hshelf;f=10000;g=-1.0;q=0.71

Typically I like HQPlayer better, and it sounds different, could be I'm using ASIO with HQP and WASAPI with Qobuz to EqAPO, different conditions of course and filters too,
but today I did not mind using Qobuz directly, very very enjoyable.
I know this thread is not for posting specific impressions (apologies @solderdude) I'm going to stop now

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Received the HD560S today, when EQ'd using the settings provided by @Robbo99999 (thank you very much again) changes drastically, it's very good just out of the box but the presentation and tonality changes for the better with the EQ.
View attachment 259414
Both channels outputs are pretty much the same, set up to Mono and to my ears (as I have no headphone measurement device) sounds about the same.
Now that I think of it I have a Umik that I could set up with RoomEQ Wizard, calibrate it with the file, set the EQ to mono, set balance to one channel and do some averaged measurements for specific sections on one channel then the other and compare the C weighted measurements, just to make sure (assuming I can get the umik to the same distance more or less from the driver(.
My favorites instruments to determine tonality is the piano and violins (my wife she's a pianist), I have been listening all afternoon to Caroline Campbell and then I went with the Zepp II, found notes on Moby Dick and Lemmon Song that never heard before.
For the money the build construction, earpads, lightness of the headset and overall quality makes this definitely a perfect entry level headphone.
I thought it would be easier to drive, or I'm deaf, listening from my PC Realtek and my E1DA 9038D I'm listening at Windows volume 93 / 94 loud. The 9038 is set to -1db under max volume as max. For some reason I expected that 60 volume would be enough but I'm right there at the end, 100 is loud for me, but I know if I get a more difficult to drive headphone (DCA cough cough) I'm going to need an HPA.

Very happy with the purchase, thank you all again.

(right now listening to Czardas gives me goosebumps) LOL

Edit: Briefly tried HQPlayer with the Matrix Pipeline and the EQ filter

iir:type=peak;f=53;g=-2.3;q=1.0,iir:type=lshelf;f=105;g=5.5;q=0.71,iir:type=peak;f=140;g=-1.8;q=0.7,iir:type=peak;f=1350;g=-3.2;q=1.5,iir:type=peak;f=1830;g=2.3;q=1.3,iir:type=peak;f=3230;g=-1.3;q=4.0,iir:type=peak;f=4420;g=-3.1;q=4.5,iir:type=peak;f=5600;g=-4.1;q=2.5,iir:type=peak;f=7000;g=2.5;q=1.2,iir:type=hshelf;f=10000;g=-1.0;q=0.71

Typically I like HQPlayer better, and it sounds different, could be I'm using ASIO with HQP and WASAPI with Qobuz to EqAPO, different conditions of course and filters too,
but today I did not mind using Qobuz directly, very very enjoyable.
I know this thread is not for posting specific impressions (apologies @solderdude) I'm going to stop now
Ah, that's good that you're pleased with the purchase! To clarify though, I didn't provide that EQ, so I can't take credit for that - it's Oratory's EQ.

artburda

Update since June 2021:

- Bang & Olufsen H6 Version 1
- Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm
- Sennheiser HD 6XX
- Sennheiser PX 200-II (still need fixing)
- Sony ZX110

IEMs:
- Etymotic ER3XR
- FiiO FD5
- Moondrop Chu

SoaringBear

Grado SR80: good, but uncomfortable
Sennheiser HD660s: excellent smooth sound, good bass, beautiful midrange and highs. Extremely revealing. And comfortable

Question: the balanced cables that came with the Sennheisers never worked. Any ideas?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Question: the balanced cables that came with the Sennheisers never worked. Any ideas?

The problem might be with the headphone, the cable, or the source.

1. Swap the cables and see if they work. If they still don't work, it's either your headphone or your source.
2. Try your Sennheiser on another audio device that outputs balanced to ensure it's not your source which is the problem. Alternatively try another headphone with balanced on your source.
3. By process of elimination, if you get to this point, it's your headphone. Get a tech to look at it.

stringham

I currently mostly use

1. Hifiman HE6se v2 at home while working
2. Hifiman Sundara at work
3. AKG 400NC when I want wireless noise cancellation and don't want to bother with EQ
4. Bose QC35 II when I want wireless noise cancellation but don't want anything in my ears

lorez

Hi all, new here. I only own a pair of Focal Elegia so that's what I use. Previuosly I owned the Sennheiser 58x but I sold 'em.

RoA

It can be near perfect inside the tiny cavity between the driver and your ear but since you feel bass with your whole body and don't just hear it with your ears I find that doesn't count for very much.

A good pair of 4" mini monitors has more bass impact than any headphone without even reaching as low.
I disagree. Whereas headphones can give you full range sound, a 4" monitor does not and will always leave you feel wanting. Been there, done it.

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Currently listening to the Sundara. I figured that it could be nice addition to the LCD-X and of course a bit lighter on head, so picked one up while I was visiting the store.

...but alas, first impressions are that it is just, well, worse. I've yet to find anything it does better.

It's still a great headphone and I liked it more than the Clear MG I was actually auditioning.

Maybe it is time to stop buying headphones... :)

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Have you applied eq, check out oratory’s post at the bottom of This page

Shakes

Forum Donor
Updated List:

DCA Aeon Noire
ZMF Aeolus
Focal Elex
AKG K371
Sennheiser HD58X
Audio-Technica ATH-M60X
FiiO FH7

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have you applied eq, check out oratory’s post at the bottom of This page

I have oratory's EQs applied to all my phones. I think I had wrong version for the Sundara, I changed to the one for revised earpads in the thread you linked and it's better all right.

Well, even with both EQ'd the Sundara seems to be more neutral compared to LCD-X. I think I might have use for these after all, sometimes extra bling and slam is not required.

Dazerdoreal

When of two Oratory-EQd phones one sounds closer to neutral than the other, it probably just means that the frequency response of one particular phone is more similar to the one Oratory measured, as there is always some variance in production. Besides, everyone has different ears and reacts differently on certain phones.

This is nothing against the presets of Oratory but in my opinion they are misunderstood too often as a one-size-fits-all solution. Personally I am more interested in his measurements which I can use as a starting point for my own EQing. For me there was almost always a lot of room for improvement, mainly in the treble. If I had just taken his presets and left it like that, I would have missed a lot. And I do not even own any 1000 Dollar phone (yet?). I really recommend to put in some work into EQing with your own ears.

markanini

Major Contributor
Just ordered Kiwi Cadenza, except in blue.
IMG_4789_600x.png

They measure somewhere between Harman and USound, a target developed by oratory1990.
1675301664644.png

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I applaud aficionados that fine tune their headphones for total linearity. I actually own a software license to a tool... but (my shame) in the end I have never once used it.

For myself - I did finetune my speaker-room response with some basic corrections... but since headphones are not subject to room effects, I just go for the combo I like and enjoy. If I enjoy cans for what sometimes is a 12-14 hour workday without listening fatigue while still being able to hear all the details I care about, hey, I am good on the headphone front. :)

Not dave

Just picked up a pair of Phonak Audeo PFE 232 for relatively bargain price on eBay. Have to say they are sounding very, very nice!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just added the new OLLO S5X open headphone and posted my review.

Excellent sound quality and plugging this one because I really think this is also interesting outside of the studio.
Definitely like to see Amir get his hands on this one! Looks promising, although I'm unsure on frequency response, which is main reason I'd like to see Amir measure this one. I like your consistency graph you've done, I think that's useful, as it's important to know how much a headphone can vary between reseats (when you wear it too):
reseatings.png

Not sure if a flat plate will see more or less variation than a flat cheek GRAS in terms of Consistency Graph, but it's good that you've shown this information.

Top Bottom