• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some

Seta Seta Pop

Hi! These are my headphones:

HD600- Both, classical and rock. Better for rock. No eq.
DT880 (600Ohm)- Only for classical music (equalized).
K702- Only for classical music (bass port mod).
HE400SE- Both, classical and rock (equalized).
SRH440- I love them for everything! No eq
SRH840- Just arrived. Very good but 440 are better. No eq.
K371- Good but... I gave them to my mother.
M50X- I gave them to my wife.

Bye!

Phoney

For people who owned the HD560S and the HE400SE, which did you enjoy the most in comfort and sound (pre- and post-EQ)? Hope this is the right place to ask!

I returned both. HE400SE headband was not long enough for my head even at full length, and created a hotspot. Also it sounded a bit thin to me, even with EQ. HD560S was pretty good with eq (for the price), but the clamp force really got to me. I didn't bother trying to fix it, it's made of plastic, so it's not as easy to fix as with certain other headbands. Also there was not much space for my ears, not enough atleast.

Last edited:

s9_0d1n

Hmmm...

In Ear
- samsung / apple default wired ones that used to come in the package with Note and S series phones + Iphones
- MEE Audio Pinnacle P1's
- Sennheiser IE 400 Pro
- "travel / BT" ones - Sony's WI-1000X

Over Ear
Open
- A 20 yo+ Sennheiser HD 570
- Sennheiser HD 600's
- AKG K612 PRO's (most used because of being light and comfy + good sound)
- Audeze LCD-X (2021 version)
Closed
- Audio Technica's ATH-MSR7NC
- "travel / BT" ones - Sony's WH 1000 XM3 and Bose QC 35 II's (about to be sold)

For long/critical listening and with the over ear ones I usually use the SonarWorks Sound ID software calibration tool

antihipstamine

Travel:
  • Sony WF-1000xm3 - good
  • Sony WF-1000xm4 - better, but swapped eartips with the xm3
  • Bose QC30 - excellent all-round really
Closed:
  • B+W P7 Wired - good for office, sound is ok, win the "oh i like your headphones" contest
  • Sony MDR-7506 - upstairs in the home studio, lovely
Open:
  • Grado SR325e - lovely sound, hurts my ears

TK33

I probably missed some but this is what I currently have (had others that I either broke or sold):

Headphones (wired):
- AKG K701
- B&W P5
- B&W P5 S2 (still use for sleeping due to slim (on ear) design)
- Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire (use most for wired desktop use @ home)

Headphones (bluetooth):
- B&W PX7 S2 (primarily for commuting and travel since it has better ANC and is more compact than Aonic 50)
- Bose QC35 SII (wife now uses)
- Shure Aonic 50 (favorite bluetooth for at home use since I really like the sound signature and does not even need EQ for me)

IEMs (wired):
- Shure SE846 (first gen and still my favorite sound)
- Shure SE535 (currently use with Shure TW2 adapter)
- Shure SE425

True Wireless:
- Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3 (favorite TWS right now and a great all around true wireless option)
- JBL Reflect Flow
- Master & Dynamic MW07Go
- Samsung Galaxy Buds2
- Samsung Galaxy Buds Live (great for calls)
- Sony Linkbuds (use mostly in office and calls in quiet places due to open design)

TK33

Hi! These are my headphones:

HD600- Both, classical and rock. Better for rock. No eq.
DT880 (600Ohm)- Only for classical music (equalized).
K702- Only for classical music (bass port mod).
HE400SE- Both, classical and rock (equalized).
SRH440- I love them for everything! No eq
SRH840- Just arrived. Very good but 440 are better. No eq.
K371- Good but... I gave them to my mother.
M50X- I gave them to my wife.

Bye!
I miss my SRH840s. Finally fell apart on me years ago.

Sennheiser HD 580 Precision; HD 600; HD 6xx.
I prefer the HD 600. I listen to a lot of orchestral classical music. The tonal balance is wonderful on the HD 600. I find the 6xx to have suppressed high frequency response, so I always keep reaching for the HD 600. It feels open up top and more accurate.

Seta Seta Pop

Sennheiser HD 580 Precision; HD 600; HD 6xx.
I prefer the HD 600. I listen to a lot of orchestral classical music. The tonal balance is wonderful on the HD 600. I find the 6xx to have suppressed high frequency response, so I always keep reaching for the HD 600. It feels open up top and more accurate.
I use them (HD600) for different kinds of music. The only imperfection is soundstage...

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
oh good lord i'm reticient to answer this...

I'm not into headphones per se... I have sets of B&W P5, PX7, ancient Def tech symph one...

But I do wear noise cancelling stuff at work so I do spend *quite* some time with music on or even watching TV shows or movies at work (dont ask - its production line heavy machinery stuff)

I'm not fond of using expensive stuff at work. So I have a slew of Chinese no name ANC stuff... Taotronics 90 something, Mobvoi Tiscasa, Mpows... the list goes on... I generally find the Chinese do ok work... some are shockingly good... especially the Qualcomm Aptx stuff... no surprises because they OEM for Sony etc.

However one set I do quite like is the AKG n700nc m2... I bought these on a whim given they are discontinued and they are shockingly good.

They arent even Qualcomm, they only do SBC/AAC (which is another kettle of worms)... but they are really neutral and they are kind of overkill in a work environment.

I feel these will not measure well given they are ANC and BT sets first and SQ 2nd but I really cant complain especialy since they were only $100 usd or so...

coptician

Let's see...

Hifiman HE300.
This has to be the worst pair of headphones I legitimately bought expecting something decent. It does not produce music. It just produces bass. Lots and lots of it.

Hifiman HE560
I learned nothing apparently. These are... less awful. They're not super comfortable, they only sound okay. I don't really use them, but they're not completely awful.

Sennheiser HD58X
Amazing bang-for-the-buck. Sounds okay, not especially great. They are somewhat cheap feeling, but still a great deal. Useful in situations where I want to listen to music without worrying too much about expensive headphones.

Sennheiser HD6XX
A decent upgrade compared to the HD58X in every way, in my opinion. It's useful for a reference, simply because they're the most famous audiophile headphones in the world. Not super comfortable (though the pads feel slightly better). I use these mostly for work calls at the moment, but I'll likely switch to either the HD800S or a future pair in the near future so I have fewer 'phones at my desk at home.

Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire
The newest addition to my collection. I wanted something that I could easily put into my backpack for work, and these are nice and small. Oh and they also sound absolutely great. Hardly want to EQ them, and they're even comfortable. Absolutely fantastic. They make me want to get the Expanse, even if those are insanely expensive.

Sennheiser HD800S
World's. Comfiest. Headphones. With EQ, they also sound good. The soundstage can be... too much at times, but in general they're quite good. They deserve all the praise and a lot of the criticism that they get. Without EQ, they're a little wonky sounding. I use these the most of any headphones I own, largely because of the comfort.

Stax SR-007 Mk1
I've had these the longest of any headphones I still own. They were my dream headphones before I got them. I absolutely adore them. That doesn't mean they're perfect or even great. The response is also wonky without EQ, and they are not nearly as comfortable as the HD800S or even the Aeon 2 Noire.

(Dan Clark Audio Expanse?)
I am strongly considering buying these. If they're both comfortable and agreeable to my ears, these seem like ideal headphones. Considering the cost I would sell the Stax despite what I wrote above, and the same likely goes for the HD800S. Very curious what these are like to me in real life.

I guess I also own some Airpods Pros and I have some Truth X Crinacle Zero's (or whatever they're called) on the way.

Lastly, I have some custom IEMs that have been through hell. Starting out as Ultimate Ears UE-11, they were reshelled twice by a small Dutch company because they unfortunately broke. They by now do not fit in my ears anymore, and never did I have a perfect fit in my right ear. Sounded alright at the time, but it has been a long, long time since I last used them.

Pattern

rated in order of how often i use them:

Currently own:
Koss Porta-Pro: satisfying sound, very kind to low-fi and poor recordings, light weight, comfortable, and shockingly resilient given their build. great daily drivers for out and about. sometimes you want steak, but sometimes you just want a good hotdog. these are a good hotdog.
Sennheiser HD-600: classic, comfortable, satisfying. I will never sell these headphones.
Focal Clear: less comfortable, but listening to music on these feels like an event. this is the steak.
Beyerdynamic DT-770: superbly comfortable because nothing actually touches your ears, "unique" sound signature to be kind. Love these for electronic music due to their very clear bass reproduction (by my ears)
Sony MDR-7506: not a great headphone for general listening but if there is some weird sound in a recording that you're trying to hear more clearly I don't know that these can be beat for anywhere near the asking price outside of certain IEMs, they just etch out every single detail. also completely unkillable by my experience as far as durability goes.

Sold:
Audeze LCD-XC: comfort here was absolutely garbage with the original headband which is what lead me to sell these beauties. its been too long to give decent notes on the listening experience although I was not in any way unsatisfied with their sonic performance.

04gto

Current Headphones- LCD-XC (2021), 64 Audio Nio, Denon AH~D5200, Sennheiser HD560S, 7hz Timeless, AKG N400.
1663888498480.jpeg

04gto

Benton1234

From oldest to newest

Sony over ear headphones (I can't find them but I believe it's a Extra Bass model from the early 2000s before they were called as such)
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's
w/ Shure 1540 pads
Sennheiser HD 650, sold
Ultrasone HFI-580 S-Logic, sold
Ultrasone PRO 900i S-Logic Plus, sold
Fostex T50RP w/ Shure 1540 pads, sold
Koss KSC75, gave to a friend but they were awesome for $20
Hifiman HE-400i, sold due to being uncomfortable
Monoprice M1060, loved these and sold them about a year after buying
Focal Elear, thought these sounded fantastic but couldn't afford them at the time and the highs seemed a bit piercing for me
Sennhesider HD 800 w/ SDR or "French" mod, these have been my dailies for about 2 years
Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless, my go-to bluetooth headset and gotten for a steal via Amazone warehouse

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For people who owned the HD560S and the HE400SE, which did you enjoy the most in comfort and sound (pre- and post-EQ)? Hope this is the right place to ask!
The HD560s was only fun when I replaced the pad foam with something thinner, the HE400se is good on a mobile device, and you usually have headroom for eq on most anything. It's just not as good as the HE400i with the ski style headband which is the comfortable one. Also if you remove the pads using a credit card to free the first clasp, then machine wash them in a delicate bag in the gentle cycle using unscented detergent and fabric softener, you'll have the most comfortable headphones on the planet. These are what I currently have, the HE400se, HE4xx, and Sundara sold before I got the others in for a bigger group photo. I still use the fluffy bunny soft HE400i on a Soundblaster X1 sometimes. Get a used pair cheap and it's the value for the money award of the entire lineup. If you're using something low power like a gaming console controller, go for the HE400se since you can get those loud and sounding fun on anything.

PXL_20220928_093404435.jpg

Top Bottom