• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Loner with Ears

•Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 ohm. They're nice, but far from perfect. Treble is, in my opinion, their greatest strength, though I recognize it's polarizing.
•Bose Quietcomfort II Earbuds. These I got for the gym, and for quiet when I need it.
•Bose Soundsport. Yep, the old kind of sport buds that still had the handy little cord behind the neck—i.e., security. For me, these are mainly for running/walking/hiking, but they do also sound pretty nice for what they are. Their sound is helped out by their essentially open design.
•Technics EAH-AZ80. These are really well-tuned and nicely-detailed TWS buds—I use them almost constantly when I'm at home. They're a joy! I love the LDAC, and the extra ounce of resolution it seems to help them eek out. One problem, though: they do tend to randomly lose their connection when LDAC is on, sometimes for no apparent reason. Oh, well. Perfection doesn't exist, after all.

Previously I have owned AKG, Sennheiser, Shure, Monster, Skullcandy, and Hifiman headphones of various quality levels. The Hifiman HE400 was the best of them, and I would love to get me some planar magnetics again one day.

The focus right now, though, is on building a hifi system, likely based around the Klipsch RP-600m II, for what I feel is their simply insane performance for the money. But though I might not be buying Focal Kantas, this system will still certainly be an investment, so I probably won't be buying any new headphones for a while.

ThomasR

• SASH Tres / 45 ohm
  • Monolith M1570
  • Beyerdynamic DT-880 / 600 ohm (2 pairs actually - I like them so much I bought a backup when I saw them on deep discount)
  • Sennheiser HD660S
  • Sennheiser HD599
  • Sennheiser PX-100 (yup, still working!)
  • Audio-Technica AT-MSR7B
  • Anker Soundcore Q35
I have a SMSL DO200/HO200 stack for my main listening station

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You may;) be pleasantly surprised by the HD565 then.

I managed to buy one of Marktplaats before you saw it... :)
Basically a HD545 with a paint job and different grille.
Paint on the headband was coming off in a similar way as some HD650's are plagued.

Together with the HD545 easily the most comfortable of all Sennheiser headphones.

HD565 review (after refurb):

hd565-kl.jpg

hd565-fr.png

artburda

Update since January 2023:

- 1MORE SonoFlow
- Bang & Olufsen H6 Version 1
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm
- Sennheiser HD 6XX
- Sennheiser PX 200-II (still need fixing)
- Shure SHR1540
- Sony ZX110

IEMs:
- Etymotic ER3XR
- FiiO FD5
- Moondrop Chu
- Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro

afinepoint

Forum Donor
Just curious ...
What headphone(s) do you currently own ?
Which one(s) is(are) used the most, or is your favorite ?
Focal bathys. I had narrowed my selection down to three. The others being Mark Levinson 5909 and Bowers and Wilkins PX8s. I found the Focals outperformed both when tethered (lossless). Three different salesman and I couldn't get the 5909s or PX8s to produce sufficient volume with both fully charged. The Focals were by no means the most comfortable but I don't wear headphones or ear buds for more than an hour or so. The Focals were also heavier but again . . .

yofi

AKG K240 DF- diffuse field tuned, bass light, detail monster

AKG K701- the OG of my collection, original Austrian model from 2006. It actually soundstages, which is pretty cool for a headphone.

AKG N400nc- Got these when Harman was clearancing them a few years ago. Some weird UX quirks are made up for by how good they sound.

Apple AirPods 3- I've been a fan of Apple's sound signature since the EarPods dropped with the iPhone 5. I love that these include computational audio and spatial audio. However they are finicky with sound levels between the two earbuds. I don't think I would buy these again.

Apple AirPods Max- Talk about finicky. I've had them since early 2021. Now, they refuse to wake up unless you plug in a lightning cable briefly. Taking them off and then putting them back on in quick succession makes them lose connection. These bugs for me have ruined their main selling point, which was UX across multiple Apple devices.

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro- Beautifully built and great with detail. I've found I like other sound signatures more though so these are probably next on the chopping block.

Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohm- I don't know why, but this rules for soundstaging when gaming. Great directional audio.

Sony MDR-V6- The closed back which usurps the the Beyer DT 1770 after about four years of being my go-to closed back. More balanced sound signature than the Beyer. The V6 has the uncanny ability to make the room that's being recorded in audible. I don't know how else to explain it.

catharsis

In my signature

Somafunk

Major Contributor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An even better question would be “What headphones do you own, and if you lost them, which would you replace and in what order?
HD560s & K702 at the same time! (EQ definitely required for K702).

tknx

Well right now I have my Verum 1s and Nan-7s.

And just preordered the DMS Omegas and on the hunt for some ZMF Atriums with the right wood.

egellings

Major Contributor
My headphones are circumaural sound blockers by 3M called Peltor (no transducers in them) to block out nearly nonstop nuisance dog barking, which is going on as I write this. People on both sides of me have what amount to kennels with multiple dogs in them, and the noise in nearly nonstop day and night. I've complained to the City but got no help. I would consider surgery to get my hearing nerves cut if such a thing were available. I'm not in a financial position to just move, just to likely find myself in the same situation. I'd gladly shoot them just to get some peace & quiet, but first I'd have the expense of acquiring a gun, and then I'd face jail time for using it, so that solution is out. So 24/7 earplugs it is.

music_lover

HD 650 = euphonic mid forward signature . Very unique sound . I have tried / owned many headphones over a decade and I still come back to these . They are the smoothest headphone I have heard. The midrange is one of the best. It is forward, full and has got the timbre right . Treble has decent extension yet doesn’t fatigue. Bass lacks extension or else it’s fine . It is a very effortless sound . My pair is 9 years old.

HD 800S = huge airy soundstage and terrific imaging . I use these for gaming more than music .

Audeze LCD 2C = chill sound . Doesn’t have enough upper mids as a result it comes off as dark, but on the plus side , it is very non fatiguing . Great sub bass extension and smooth treble .

Focal clear = good mids , great bass and slightly metallic and peaky treble . I like these for electronic dance music .

johny_2000

@music_lover,
You've pretty much covered my thoughts on all the essential headphones for audiophiles. The only exception is that I have never owned Audeze LCDs or Focal Clears, but I have read and thought a lot about them.

Now I alternately listen to HD 490 Pro, FiiO FT3 and Philips Fidelio X2HR and wait for the release of Fostex TH808 and their first measurements.

flognuts

The Focal Clear effectively ended my headphone journey lol
I may dabble with a Hifiman Arya down the track.

Focal Clear
DT880
R70x

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My headphones are circumaural sound blockers by 3M called Peltor (no transducers in them) to block out nearly nonstop nuisance dog barking, which is going on as I write this. People on both sides of me have what amount to kennels with multiple dogs in them, and the noise in nearly nonstop day and night. I've complained to the City but got no help. I would consider surgery to get my hearing nerves cut if such a thing were available. I'm not in a financial position to just move, just to likely find myself in the same situation. I'd gladly shoot them just to get some peace & quiet, but first I'd have the expense of acquiring a gun, and then I'd face jail time for using it, so that solution is out. So 24/7 earplugs it is.
That's madness isn't it! How about noise cancelling headphones? If you're listening to music or if it works as a form factor for you watching TV & movies you could use noise cancelling headphones for that and you wouldn't hear a thing.

drewdawg999

Recent acquisition: ZMF Atticus Cocobolo LTD. Against all odds (including a lackluster review here) these have become my favorites. Just so comfy and feel so nice, as well as possessing exquisite beauty. As for sound, they benefit from EQ (what doesn't), needing a sub-bass boost, reduction of mid-bass, and some correction in the treble. But after EQ, clarity is very good, mids are silky and smooth, and bass is to die for. My go-to for bass heavy music, especially EDM, just so fun and exhilirating.

Also recent acquisition: Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm, with Dekoni choice leather pads. I love these too even though they're quite affordable. With the aftermarket pads, these are bass cannons as well, much better balanced than stock and super comfy. Guess I've gone basshead. I'm on a kick for closed-back dynamics with big ass bass, which have seized my attention from my beloved planars, the LCD-2, HE-400, and Argon mk3.

Top Bottom