• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone amp to complement RME Babyface Pro FS?

T11

I just got a RME BF Pro FS to replace the MOTU M2 on my Mac Mini (late 2012, Big Sur 11.6.1).

I'm into music production (Logic Pro X and Cubase Pro 12, in 24 bit/44.1khz), specifically mixing so I'm searching for a headphone amp with good neutral sound (flat frequency response curve).
As uncoloured as possible within the budget.

Total max budget is $200. No second hand unit.

Just wanna install and forget. Don't like fiddling nor reading up. Making music only is the goal .

JDS Labs Atom, Schiit, Topping and SMSL seems to get mentioned a lot.
Is it one of those that would fit best?
If so, which model (as specific as possible since there seems to be a couple of 'subversions' of many of them. Model direct link from manufacturer site preferable.)

My mixing headphones are:
- Shure SRH1840 65 Ohms
- Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro 250 Ohms
- Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250 Ohms (rarely use, because I find the two above better for mixing)

Headphone frequency correction and room simulation software:
- dSONIQ Realphones Pro

Monitor controller:
- Behringer Control2USB

Monitors:
- Kali LP-6 v2
- iLoud Micro Monitor (for reference monitoring only)

Additional tech questions:
1 a) - Best way to connect the headphone amp to the Babyface Pro FS?
(What I mean is if we're limited to XLR balanced here, or if it's possible to go for a headphone amp with only RCA unbalanced. And if optical is even an option within this budget?)

* RME Babyface has 'optical TOSLINK I/O; use as either an ADAT port with SMUX support or SPDIF for sessions up to 192 kHz'

1 b) - The Babyface Pro FS has a switch for choosing between +4 dBu and +19 dBu. Which one would you recommend for this setup along with your HP amp recommendation?

2) - Grateful for recommended settings along the chain, especially in RME Totalmix :)

3) - Before I install the RME Babyface, is it necessary to uninstall the MOTU M2 software/drivers - or can I just leave em be in case I would like to switch interface temporarily further down the line?

Thanks!

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use this one for monitoring playback while tracking. It cost about $50 USD when I bought it about 15 years ago. Not super-hifi, but good enough for cueing from already recorded tracks while recording. Input is stereo line level from my audio interface using an insert cable (2 separate 1/4" TS on one end, to 1/4" TRS on the other).

I never mix on headphones, but if I did, I'd probably just use the headphone jack on my mix console for highest possible fidelity.
16803670297888535364524626941981.jpg

Reactions: T11

Ifrit

There’s already perfectly fine headphone out inside the interface. Don’t see the need for additional clutter.

No need to uninstall MOTU drivers.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
What's the problem with the built-in headphone amp? Not loud enough?

specifically mixing so I'm searching for a headphone amp with good neutral sound (flat frequency response curve).
As uncoloured as possible within the budget.
Almost all modern electronics have flat frequency response and no audible distortion ("uncolored" unless it's over-driven into clipping /distortion).

Sometimes there is noise but an "extra" amplifier will amplify background noise along with the signal (when used as an amplifier with the volume turned-up instead of turned-down). And every analog stage adds some noise (although hopefully it doesn't add audible noise).

My mixing headphones are:
- Shure SRH1840 65 Ohms
- Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro 250 Ohms
- Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250 Ohms (rarely use, because I find the two above better for mixing)
Higher impedance headphones tend to require more voltage for the same loudness. But that's not always the case and I assume you already know if there is a sensitivity problem/difference.

1 a) - Best way to connect the headphone amp to the Babyface Pro FS?
(What I mean is if we're limited to XLR balanced here, or if it's possible to go for a headphone amp with only RCA unbalanced. And if optical is even an option within this budget?)
I've never seen a headphone amp with a balanced headphone-input connection. You can probably find one with balanced XLR inputs and then you'd need an adapter-splitter cable. And that's most likely "a solution looking for a problem".

b) - The Babyface Pro FS has a switch for choosing between +4 dBu and +19 dBu. Which one would you recommend for this setup along with your HP amp recommendation?
Usually "gain staging" means using the highest signal you can "get-away with" through the signal-chain for the best signal-to-noise ratio, and then attenuating at the end.

3) - Before I install the RME Babyface, is it necessary to uninstall the MOTU M2 software/driver
No

P.S.
specifically mixing... Making music only is the goal .
Most pros recommend against mixing on headphones... Except when listening carefully for specific little defects/details. Or of course, unless you are making a mix specifically for headphone listening.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The only issue would be if the on board amps are not powerful enough. The Shure will work better with the smaller jack as that is for low impedance phones. The other two with the larger jack will be fine I think.

OP
T11

T11

:) Based upon the answers so far - especially that I don't need to uninstall the previous audio drivers - I can just install RME and try it out. Great news!

My 'XLR vs RCA'-question was based around a quick look at the Schiit Magni+ vs the Schiit Magnius.

And what drew my interest towards a HP amp in the first place was things like this:
- Output impedance comparison taken from ASR - RME Babyface Pro FS Portable Interface Review

But maybe I will not have to bother - I'll report back after I've tried it :)

I use my headphones mainly at night when others are sleeping. And sometimes, just like the reference monitors, for reference listening.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
:) Based upon the answers so far - especially that I don't need to uninstall the previous audio drivers - I can just install RME and try it out. Great news!

My 'XLR vs RCA'-question was based around a quick look at the Schiit Magni+ vs the Schiit Magnius.

And what drew my interest towards a HP amp in the first place was things like this:
- Output impedance comparison taken from ASR - RME Babyface Pro FS Portable Interface Review

But maybe I will not have to bother - I'll report back after I've tried it :)

I use my headphones mainly at night when others are sleeping. And sometimes, just like the reference monitors, for reference listening.
Yes, but the Babyface has two headphone out and they have separate circuits. The smaller one is for low impedance phones and has a near zero ohm output impedance. The larger one is what Amir measured and is for high impedance phones. He mentions this right at the end of the review post.

The Babyface isn't a powerhouse for phones, but is better than some. I'd just get a JDS probably if it is not up to your needs. Your Shure will need to be used with the low impedance output for sure. Pay attention to which jack for which phone and you might find it is enough for your needs. Read this from the owner's manual.

1680377807646.png

1680377958953.png

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I second every word @Blumlein 88 wrote. AFAIK your headphones are not of the type the RME cannot feed properly. It may not be able to deliver earbleeding levels but those you should avoid in the first place to not ruin your hearing in the long run.

OP
T11

T11

Tried it out for a cpl of hours now, and it works quite well. Both headphones connected simultaneously. It sounds a little different compared to the MOTU M2, but I can't put it into words though. Guess it's just a case of getting-used-to.

ATM in TotalMix looking for a way to control each headphone(s) separately, but it seems like it's not possible.
(Because pressing 'Assign' -> 'Phones 2' and chosing 'PH 3/4' ends up stealing the 'PH 3/4' from 'Phones 1'. I'm in 'Submix' mode btw.)

Expected better latency numbers though.
In the rush i only took one screenshot from the MOTU M2 , and it gave 12,7 ms Roundtrip (6,3 ms Output) @ 256 samples buffer size.
While the Babyface lands on 13,5 ms (6,7 ms). If I tick the 'Short Safety Offset'-box in 'Fireface USB Settings' it goes down to 13,0 ms (6,5 ms).

That aside, overall I'm quite pleased with this solid unit :)

It's now almost 06:00 AM here so it's time to hit the sack.

Big thanks for all your answers, really appreciate it.

Tomorrow is a climb the TotalMix-mountain day.

TBC...

Top Bottom