• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What hasn't beyerdynamic still been able to match the Sennheiser HD 600 & 650?

dulljadedcat

The DT 770, 880 & 990 cost less than half as much than the HD 650 & 600 and I think you get what you paid for. Out of curiosity, I bought the DT 770, 880 & 990 and to my ears, all 3 sound like they belong in the ATH-M50X class of headphones, which I use for monitoring purposes at my job.

The question is, why has beyerdynamic not been able to match the HD 600 & 650 for decades? They have managed to get much closer with their fairly new DT 1990 but it still falls short of competeting along side the 600 & 650. People in the audiophile commnunity tend to equate elevated treble with detail but that couldn't be more wrong. The real magic is engineering a headphone that is both detailed and not artificially boosted in the highs at the same time. Now that's difficult.

Blank Verse

The DT 770, 880 & 990 cost less than half as much than the HD 650 & 600 and I think you get what you paid for. Out of curiosity, I bought the DT 770, 880 & 990 and to my ears, all 3 sound like they belong in the ATH-M50X class of headphones, which I use for monitoring purposes at my job.

The question is, why has beyerdynamic not been able to match the HD 600 & 650 for decades? They have managed to get much closer with their fairly new DT 1990 but it still falls short of competeting along side the 600 & 650. People in the audiophile commnunity tend to equate elevated treble with detail but that couldn't be more wrong. The real magic is engineering a headphone that is both detailed and not artificially boosted in the highs at the same time. Now that's difficult.
Some people think the HD600 haven't been able to match the HD540 for decades either (and the HD540 is more than 10 years older than the HD600). The point being that maybe it's not about technical inability, but rather the fact that Beyerdynamic have a different target sound and that's what they are shooting for.

That being said, didn't vintage DT headphones from the 80s have a much smoother sound, more like the HD600?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
People in the audiophile commnunity tend to equate elevated treble with detail but that couldn't be more wrong.

Indeed.. there are solutions for removing elevated treble and correct FR issues though.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think the premise is incorrect too. In my opinion all this has to do with marketing :

Sennheiser has built its reputation on things like "midrange neutrality" (bass doesn't seem to be a priority for Sennheiser), "soundstage" (for the HD 800, not for the 6-- series), "rugged studio build" (for the 6-- series that are meant to be used in studios), etc.

Beyer has built its reputation on things like "detail" (emphasized treble would be more correct), a more "V-shaped" sound (not on all models) and a more "luxurious build" on some models (just compare a DT 1990 Pro or an Amiron Home to a HD 6--...).

I think these two manufacturers want and need to remain different, it's just part of their identity. I mean, we even talk about the "Sennheiser sound" and the "Beyer sound" so...

As for the "detail" part, I think Beyer artificially creates detail by overemphasizing treble, and Sennheiser artificially creates detail by lacking bass (even on hi-end models like the 800S) and being by default closer to the Optimum HiFi curve than to the Harman curve.

OP
D

dulljadedcat

As for the "detail" part, I think Beyer artificially creates detail by overemphasizing treble, and Sennheiser artificially creates detail by lacking bass.

That's actually a solid argument that I haven't considered before.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Well, the DT150 iwth DT100 pads beats the HD600 imo.

someguyontheinternet

I can't stand the elevated treble of the DT990 to the point that I get nauseous...
Sennheiser probably just has a stock tuning that is more agreeable to a larger amount of people.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

It isn’t like they want to “surpass” Sennheiser at “neutrality”. They are different companies with different methodologies and goals, thus, their products are different.

Top Bottom