• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Happens To Products That Are Returned On Amazon

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As per the title, what happens to these products? They get a once over at the factory, repackaged and recycled back to various parts of the world and being sold as 'new'? Does this only happen to chinese products or also to other high end brands? Some products are returned (most) because the buyer didnt like them or are just testing them out, some genuinely have a problem, so what happens in both cases?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As per the title, what happens to these products? They get a once over at the factory, repackaged and recycled back to various parts of the world and being sold as 'new'? Does this only happen to chinese products or also to other high end brands? Some products are returned (most) because the buyer didnt like them or are just testing them out, some genuinely have a problem, so what happens in both cases?
If saleable they get put on as Amazon Warehouse sale items. Discounts can be quite deep depending on stock levels and condition.

Worth keeping your eyes and browser bookmarks on amazon warehouse deals for categories of products you're interested in.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Beware Amazon Warehouse descriptions - they described multiple holes in a tent are a 'cosmetic defect.' The reason for the deep discount may be bigger than you expect, but you can at least return them.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
They get a once over at the factory
I don't know about Amazon but sometimes the "factory" is not the original manufacturer's production facility. It could be an independent operation that just looks-over the item, maybe cleans it, maybe checks for accessories, maybe gives it a quick-test, and maybe re-packs it in a plain white box, etc.

Chester

I don't know about Amazon but sometimes the "factory" is not the original manufacturer's production facility. It could be an independent operation that just looks-over the item, maybe cleans it, maybe checks for accessories, maybe gives it a quick-test, and maybe re-packs it in a plain white box, etc.

If my experience is anything to go by, often they seemingly do nothing other than re label it and mark it as ‘like new’.

I received a ‘like new’ lamp that only contained the bulb and cable, for example.

Freeway

Over the last 2 years have bought 8 bluetooth headphones from Amazon warehouse.
Four were Amazon (Amazon.com Services LLC) 'like new'. Bowers & Wilkins PX7/PX5 and B&O H8i.
Four B&O H4s @ $99.00 ea. from either Slick Deals or Deal zone. Sold as 'Renewed' New.
All were in excellent condition. Still in use.
One big drawback is warranty???
Renewed or refurbished probably BS unless from manufacturer or certain authorized dealers. Probably/maybe just checked??

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Over the last 2 years have bought 8 bluetooth headphones from Amazon warehouse.
Four were Amazon (Amazon.com Services LLC) 'like new'. Bowers & Wilkins PX7/PX5 and B&O H8i.
Four B&O H4s @ $99.00 ea. from either Slick Deals or Deal zone. Sold as 'Renewed' New.
All were in excellent condition. Still in use.
One big drawback is warranty???
Renewed or refurbished probably BS unless from manufacturer or certain authorized dealers. Probably/maybe just checked??

In my experience, if you buy from amazon warehouse (in the UK that's their open box seller) via the amazon site, they don't specifically adhere to "new" warranty but if something fails within a few months, they will sort you out.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And the stuff that is supposed to be destroyed is packaged on pallets and sold as Amazon returns on eBay or elsewhere. Then the stuff is resold on Amazon, eBay or elsewhere. It’s a never ending cycle.

Martin

MCH

Major Contributor
I buy them.
At least Amazon.de warehouse is very very conservative with the descriptions, very often I can't even find the scratches they mention. My akg371 for 80eur was missing the 3.5-6.5 adapter that I bought straight away for 4eur.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JWAmerica

Amazon sells a ton of used Like New products. Usually about 30% off. I buy all of my electronics this way.

JWAmerica

I find it depends on the "storefront" aka seller you're buying from. I've purchased damn near brand new items (amp and subwoofer) from Rockville and Crutchfield via Amazon. Just make sure you're not buying used from a third party seller. The manufacturer won't mess around sending you a janky beat up unit. It's their reputation on the line.

Top Bottom