• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What happened to Innerfidelity? (automatically diverts to stereophile)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So far for the promise they made that Tyll's repository would always be there.
When you google 'HD650 pdf innerfidelity' for instance you can still access the pdf's he made.
Don't know where the pdf's that pop up come from though.
Edit: probably my cache ...

Tyll's legacy seems gone... hoping this is just a temporary thing, an error somewhere.

Last edited:
OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So far for the promise they made that Tyll's repository would always be there.
When you google 'HD650 pdf innerfidelity' for instance you can still access the pdf's he made.
Don't know where the pdf's that pop up come from though.

Tyll's legacy seems gone... hoping this is just a temporary thing, an error somewhere.
All the links from google send me to stereophile.

Prolix

Forum Donor
Rafe came in and was like, "I'm taking everything that you loved about IF and tossing it in the trash because that's how I roll. Deal with it." I'm not sure how he thought it would work out.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Hope everything is there.

It's not unfortunately. There were some measurements that were not actually on the original Innerfidelity measurements page but still hosted on the site and so could only be found easily by googling really. I'm hoping Jaakko Pasanen who made AutoEQ has all of the pdfs saved somewhere, as they contain more information than just frequency responses (e.g. distortion measurements).

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
OK, so basically they were already owing those website since few years, right?
https://www.stereophile.com/content...quires-home-tech-network-ten-publishing-media

Now they can simply screw the DNS and only let being live the stereophile only, although I don't think I fully understand their move. Usually you buy more companies (and their websites) to expand yourself and not to fully shut them off.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

It's not unfortunately. There were some measurements that were not actually on the original Innerfidelity measurements page but still hosted on the site and so could only be found easily by googling really. I'm hoping Jaakko Pasanen who made AutoEQ has all of the pdfs saved somewhere, as they contain more information than just frequency responses (e.g. distortion measurements).
Yep. The Focal Clear and Audeze LCD2C does not appear on that page, but could be accessed by visiting the specific headphones reviews. The file that @dc655321 saved doesn't have those either. I used to look at these measurements frequently (I own both models) but now they are nowhere to be found.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Are you aware of what other measurements are not in the 'booklet' ?
It would be rather easy to download them, at least when they were saved somewhere, and then add them to the booklet and host it somewhere.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

I believe the hifiman HE4xx aren't there, and I'm sure there are more. If you can find the two I mentioned (Focal Clear and Audeze LCD2C) would greatly appreciate it. I'm kicking myself for not downloading those PDFs when I could.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
2020_08_03_11_10_07_Wayback_Machine.png

https://web.archive.org/web/2019111...l-clear-over-ear-open-headphones-measurements

alas the pdf is not archived it seems.

Also
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MassdropHiFiMANHE4XX.pdf
does not seem archived.

Tyll said this:

There seems to be a little curiosity on the forums about from which HE400 varient the HE4XX descends. By the look of the measurements (HE4XX and HE400i) I think it most resembles the HE400i. They have changed a few things: there's a new, much better headband; they've used the lauded Focus-A pads; it's liveried now in a cool midnight-blue colorway soft-touch matte finish; and most importantly, the price has been pushed down to an astonishing $169! I guess the only thing to note is they aren't as efficient as the Massdrop copy makes them sound; they play loud enough on a smartphone, but just barely.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Classic.pdf also is not archived...

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hoping its just a glitch and the repository is restored.
I am guessing they might be getting a lot of angry mails.
If not... be sure to do so.

To me Tyll's plots are only interesting to compare between other IF plots... and the impedance plot was handy.

Reactions: trl

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, so basically they were already owing those website since few years, right? I don't think I fully understand their move. Usually you buy more companies (and their websites) to expand yourself and not to fully shut them off.

I presume that most of these sites were 'ad driven'? I'm not a madman adman, but if you get 20 unique hits on your first site, and the same 20 people are hitting your other site, why wouldn't you just consolidate the two? Surely you can't sell the same ad twice for the same dollars to the same people. Just merge the sites into one; that has to make overall management simpler and has to be cheaper in the long run.

Thing is, these Webzines appear to be extensions of a single advertising model. I get that they have to make money, but industry consolidation and dependence on advertisers totally dilutes the product. Gordon Holt started his magazine to get away from that sort of industry influenced payola. Now his magazine is simply an industry mouthpiece.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I believe the hifiman HE4xx aren't there, and I'm sure there are more. If you can find the two I mentioned (Focal Clear and Audeze LCD2C) would greatly appreciate it. I'm kicking myself for not downloading those PDFs when I could.

HE4XX measurement by Tyll (compared to HE400i)

I have downloaded all the available pdf's missing from the collection.
Planning to insert them and make a more complete collection.
Alas the HE4XX and a few more seem to have dead links in the current inner-fidelity archive :(
The LCD-2C and Clear I have found

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I updated Tyll's pdf collection with all the missing files I could still find (still lacks a few files alas) and made the list alphabetical so one can search a bit easier and quicker.

Also have all individual pdf's if needed.

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
His articles at least appears to be there on stereophile. But the comments section has been completely sanitized to nothing. Hmmmn, I wonder why?

Top Bottom