• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What happened to Innerfidelity? (automatically diverts to stereophile)

ripvw

Forum Donor
yep it's gone - not that I ever spent much time there since Tyll left. Headphones as a listing continues on for Stereophile, HiFi News, HIFi Choice, and Sound and Vision. It would be wonderful if Tyll came back - glad that Rafe is apparently gone. How can you have a headphone-focused publication alongside Stereophile and HIFi News and not do measurements, not even mention the output impedance of amplifiers?

Archsam

Sad to see innerfidelity gone, I used to check their site regularly. I quite enjoy their Wall of Fame until that was suspended awhile back.

We want our beloved hobby to grow, not shrink, so its never good to see a quality site go dark. I suspect there are now too much competition from Youtube 'expert' audio reviewers with good production value and not much objective talks to dilute the entertainment factor.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess is that there's simply a lot of 'contraction' in the Webzine business. You see it in car Webzines. C/D is a shell of its former self, and Motor Trend-Automobile share articles. It wouldn't surprise me if Automobile is dropped as a separate entity.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest inner fidelity was already finished for me since Tyll left...

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's no good. I relied on the headphone measurements posted there during Tyll's days.
That's the only reason it was still a valuable resource. I hope that vast body of work isn't gone. In the meanwhile, I was able to find some of it on the Wayback Machine. I would still like to see some official statement from the site owners.

bahamot

Just download all the graphs in single pdf file from the wrb archive. Thanks.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Kouioui

Forum Donor
As a 60+ retired person myself, I'm glad to see Tyll resting on his laurels and living a simpler life. It's difficult to trust your hearing at our age and courageous that he and others like Floyd Toole accept those limitations, pass the baton to a younger generation, and hopefully profited from the sale of his domain, IP, and former company HeadRoom.

VeerK

Tyll set the bar very, very high and when he left for his much deserved retirement, it was sad to see IF not maintain that direction. I haven’t read IF since, IIRC Rafe moved on back in March, so perhaps this is stereophile consolidating everything under one roof?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess is that there's simply a lot of 'contraction' in the Webzine business. You see it in car Webzines. C/D is a shell of its former self, and Motor Trend-Automobile share articles. It wouldn't surprise me if Automobile is dropped as a separate entity.

Motor Trend was never much to begin with. Even though they hired some great journalists, they got rid of them too. Meanwhile, Johnny Lieberman stays on. I hated his writing at autoblog and everything he's done since. Car and Driver and road and track are still decent. They laid off many of their best writers, but they hired good young talent too. Their opinions still reflect my experiences of cars I've driven, and Jason Camissa at RT is one of the best in history. I do miss the days of Chubba. I once had a letter to the editor about him published, where their response compared me to Liberace.

The best writers have even left jalopnik.

Top Bottom