• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What happened to Innerfidelity? (automatically diverts to stereophile)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
His articles at least appears to be there on stereophile. But the comments section has been completely sanitized to nothing. Hmmmn, I wonder why?

Also some links to certain pdf's (like the HE4XX for instance) (added) don't direct to the plots but to audiostream website.

Last edited:

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Also some links to certain pdf's (like the HE4XX for instance) don't direct to the plots but to audiostream website.

I had the HE4XX pdf saved from a while ago, just uploaded it here if you want to add it to the pdf collection.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I had the HE4XX pdf saved from a while ago, just uploaded it here if you want to add it to the pdf collection.

That's great... thanks !!!
Will put it in there as well.
Only missing 2 files or so.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What's still missing?

Advanced Alpha, Plantronics BackBeat 500, Jabra Move, HD471, AKG N60NC, HD569, iSine20 (but chances are he did not measure those)

updated the pdf, those that already downloaded my pdf and want the HE4XX to be in there must download again. The link in post #42 has been edited.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Found some more pdf's that weren't in the collection.
So here is the updated pdf containing 1046 of Tyll's measurements in alphabetical order.

12 more than the previous pdf, also removed 2 duplicates and shuffled some measurements in a more logical order.

I was also trying to find the 5 articles Tyll wrote about burn-in but could not find them.
If someone knows where to find them (working links) I could try to bundle them into 1 article.

deafenears

Forum Donor
Digging up an old thread. Just found this interesting interview video with Grover Neville and @Resolve. A bit of the beginning talks about Innerfidelity post-Tyll where Rafe was appointed editor in charge, his push to keep measurements, and where the measurements went for a while.

Rafe came in and was like, "I'm taking everything that you loved about IF and tossing it in the trash because that's how I roll. Deal with it." I'm not sure how he thought it would work out.
Apparently, that's not how it went down but rather the powers above Rafe decided measurements weren't important.

Reactions: trl

solderdude

Grand Contributor
the powers above Rafe decided measurements weren't important.

I guess measurements aren't important to at least 95% of people that buy audio stuff, which is the target audience of the current owners.

Most prospective buyers look for (positive) reviews, preferably on YT, where the product they want are praised into heaven. There must also be a 'negative' about the product but must be minor.
As good as all YT reviewers and magazines do just that. Lovely words, beautiful pictures. That's what the public wants.
Whenever they do look for specs most people have no idea what they mean anyway.

Only a few hundred nerds or technically interested people look for plots.
Even in Tyll's case most just looked for the words Tyll wrote and the videos he posted.
Here too only a handful of nerds looked into the plots.

I would love to hear from Tyll what he thinks about all that happened.
I hope, for him, that he is happy touring in his camper and can let it all go.

Resolve

Reviewer
I guess measurements aren't important to at least 95% of people that buy audio stuff,
I'm not sure about this. I think traditionally yes, but I kind of see that changing. I think there's a difference between being interested in audio measurements and knowing that the audio products you buy measure well. And I also see it changing a lot with the advent of what Crin's been doing with his database and the popularity of outlets like Rtings. Maybe I'm just being optimistic though.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I'm not sure about this.
I'm pretty sure that solderdude is right. The decision of Innerfidelity/Stereophile of removing measurements from their audio gear reviews proves this. Initially they were even removing Tyll's measurement graphs too, but now they got everything back here: https://www.stereophile.com/content/innerfidelity-headphone-measurements.

However, I am glad to see them back into the measurements field: https://www.stereophile.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-24-pass-labs-hpa-1-headphone-amplifier, so I guess they do care about specs and measurements after all.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That review is from Katz and is from 2018 at around the time Tyll handed the keys over ...;)

Reactions: trl

Resolve

Reviewer
The decision of Innerfidelity/Stereophile of removing measurements from their audio gear reviews proves this.
Well, sure, but I'd argue that failed so horrendously for them that it killed the site. Of course, that's also probably because of the established audience, but I see a general trend towards valuing audio measurements more and more. If you look at traffic trends, sites like the ones I mentioned are steadily growing, while merely subjective-based communities or publications are on the decline. You can also see some of this showing up in a lot of popular IEMs these days, where they're even putting FR graphs onto boxes as part of their marketing material. Maybe there's like, a larger less vocal majority that prefers 'just tell me if it sounds good', but I think it would be a mistake to assume that conclusions drawn from measurements aren't valued by those audiences as well, even if they don't care enough to understand them.

Prolix

Forum Donor
I just don't understand how anyone thought that the innerfidelity audience would slide right on over to purely subjective reviews.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I just don't understand how anyone thought that the innerfidelity audience would slide right on over to purely subjective reviews.
AVTech Media Ltd wants to make money. I would gather that there are many advertisers that didn't find measurements very helpful. And fulfilling the needs of the suits at AVTech Media Ltd is, after all is said and done, the bottom line. Which means the needs of the advertisers come first in such an organization. The rest is ephemera.

Top Bottom