• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What gear you wouldn't buy because of its name or cult status.

Zaireeka

McIntosh the logo is ugly…looks like it was drawn by a 5th grade wannabe gangster... doing graffiti/stussy lettering
Same here, I've always hated the snobiness that this brand vehiculates with this terrible choice of colors and fonts.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
"cool, old-style logo..."

I must add, what was cool in 1949 is not necessarily what is cool in 2022! Here is the first graphic I can find of the logo, which changed a bit in the details in the first few years but has pretty much stayed consistent ever since.

mccontest5.jpg

For the record, I am a fan of classically designed Mac gear, but my beer budget doesn't facilitate champagne tastes very often!
I can see a lot of my own opinions on yours. I really like Mac gear in part because it is the industrial style my dad's gear had when I grew up (old Onkio). I just wish I could at least justify the performance of such expensive gear.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hmm, I own DACs from both Schiit and Topping and have had no problems from either. In fact, the "name" that most influenced those purchase decisions was ASR!

Agreed, same here.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The old meme of the Istone has become real in the MacBox.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The mac box was a response to the fact that their old dealer displays were selling for silly money on the used market.

Also you can put non-McIntosh components inside it so to avoid spoiling the aesthetic of the all-mac system.

Would think anyone vaguely handy could knock one up for themselves for a couple of hundred, it's just a box with a logo and a back light. But if you've got the cash why not?

I don't think it counts as snake-oil since they are not making any claim for sound improvement. It is what it is.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just came across this on Reddit $1500 for a storage box with a huge McIntosh logo on it lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/vil24k
When I was a kid, my dad fabricated a sheet of plexiglass with the words “Love - Peace” in old LED-like lamps for his stereo system. The display would light up with the voltage peaks in the music. This is the $1500, year 2022 equivalent. Instead of love and peace, the owner gets to advertise their affinity for luxury consumerism.

Nobleman

My list is rather long and include mostly HEA brands.. (High End Audio)

Wilson Audio... Prejudiced against them even when I was a hardcore subjectivist.
Krell .... Same prejudices, even when I was a subjectivist.
FM Acoustics ... Hated then, same today, because their cult status and their price. Unobtainium, unless you are in Asia and have considerable means
Dar Tzeel ... Nothing that measured so strangely should have such a following and of course price..
Zu... Can't understand that something that sounds so bad has a following either...
REL .... Overpriced subwoofers with pedestrians performance
LAMM Industries... Overpriced, cheap looking products... Mea culpa ... Back in the days perhaps 30 years ago, i heard their 18-watt driving a very high sensitivity loudspeaker and thought I had to have it until a friend had one in his system and ...
AudioQuest .....
Synergistic Research.... Perhaps the quintessential snake oil and BS peddler in HEA. Very well know in HEA quarters, would say a bit more prestigious in those quarters than AQ
Linn Sondek.... Some people actually believe their gear to be superior
Marantz .... Can they take their time and just make their products better?
PS Audio ...... Wellllllllll
Devialet ..... Decent performance but disappointing overall. Push the right maudiophil marketing buttons, better performance can be had for much less...
Harbeth .... A cult IMHO
B&W .... Another cult
Chord .... More cult
NAIM ..... Iconoclasts and Cult
Audio Note Japan and/or UK ... Expensive nonsenses
MIT Cables .... Believe they shouldn't be allowed to sell anything. Pure Snake Oil...
Tech DAS .......... Took the Micro-seiki designs of yore and just made them very, expensive.. H-expensive :)
---

I'll stop, else I may have to list (almost) ,all the HEA that I know, or know of. :mad:

Peace.
Agree except for REL . These are expensive but pick one up second hand and you will not buy another sub ever. the control rel sub amps give you is exceptional. They are properly designed subs and does not require much space. Mine has -3db at 26hz and gives me control over high/low cutoff points. I have them matched to my Magnepans and the team puts a grin on my face each time.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pass Labs. Nothing against Mr. Pass, I´m just not interested in colored amps from the factory.
Each to his own. The actual Pass Lab amps have pretty low distortion. Perhaps you're thinking of the First Watt stuff.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree except for REL . These are expensive but pick one up second hand and you will not buy another sub ever. the control rel sub amps give you is exceptional. They are properly designed subs and does not require much space. Mine has -3db at 26hz and gives me control over high/low cutoff points. I have them matched to my Magnepans and the team puts a grin on my face each time.
Here is the thing... For the price of one REL.. you can buy two Ryhtmiks, perhaps 1 and 1/2 SVS or HSU or Monoprice :D. These, almost across the board are superior objectively to the equivalent RELs.. models and half to 1/3 the price REL are adequate but not that good to command such a price...

Peace

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just came across this on Reddit $1500 for a storage box with a huge McIntosh logo on it lol
If your a Mc guy, pretty kool for $500
Except it's $1500 :(

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here si the thing... For the price of one REL.. you can buy two Ryhtmiks, perhaps 1 and 1/2 SVS or HSU or Monoprice :D. These, almost across the board are superior objectively to the equivalent RELs.. models and half to 1/3 the price REL are adequate but not that good to command such a price...

Peace
Objectivity? What is this? I keep hearing it mentioned.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your a Mc guy, pretty kool for $500
Except it's $1500 :(

Yeah, but you can see some in-person retailers offering you a free logo box with purchase of 2+ items as a good will gesture, way to discount without discounting that feels fancier than just a free t-shirt or blanket or coffee table book.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

hearone

Forum Donor
Sorry, late to the discussion, but just saw this topic.

I agree McIntosh is more in the the cult status- good, but not necessary outstanding. I am ok with the name also. Grandparens were Mcbee's. But the "cult" is one of there reasons, I have stayed with their integrated amps. They just hold their value very well- like a HD motorcycle. I have used the McIntoshTrade-in program a few times. Most cases for newer equipment you get 75% of MSRP + the sales tax credit applied and skip the work of a private sale.

But I have never been interested in their speakers, CD players, home theater, music servers/etc. They do not seem to have much appeal/value over other compeatiors. Just their amp/preamps with those VU meters. That seems be be their strong area.

Top Bottom