• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What gear you wouldn't buy because of its name or cult status.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
McIntosh -- because of the attitude of oh-so-many of their customers.
I do, in full disclosure, own a few quite vintage Mac pieces... but I won't be buying any new production Mac hardware.

Schiit -- the frat-boy pose does not work for me.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Mola mola, sounds like infectious disease.
Mola mola is the Linnean name for the (giant) ocean sunfish (not to be confused with the freshwater bluegill/pumpkinseed sort of "sunfish").

ghows-FD-8e71ed8f-e6ce-440f-e053-0100007fa924-995e5935.jpeg

images

as opposed to

Longear_Sunfish_Lepomis_megalotis_Male_5-18-13.jpg

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Pyle.

I mean, really?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would never even consider another Polk speaker again... unless I wanted a pair of matching doorstops!
pof.com?
Why? I sold Polk speakers for some years and the customers where intrigued and buying the gear. The SDA gear was as bit of a technical sell but peeps ate it up like, gobbled it down and wanted them. Only the die-hard tech customers bypassed Polk at the time against Paradigm and Axiom that I was retailing. Polk at the sales floor was a major success.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I am, unapologetically, a Polk fanboy from the very early days of the brand.
The fact that Matt Polk and I share an alma mater isn't entirely coincidental to this, but the reasons are subtle & varied.
My Monitor Series Model 7A loudspeakers, purchased from Polk's first dealer (Soundscape) in 1978, were my first 'modern' hifi loudspeakers and were an outstanding value then and are still here today (and still sound very good by any reasonable standard).

I was never too crazy about the SDA monstrosities (FWIW).

I recently purchased a pair of modern Polk loudspeakers, largely based on reviews & chatter posted on this very forum.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why? I sold Polk speakers for some years and the customers where intrigued and buying the gear. The SDA gear was as bit of a technical sell but peeps ate it up like, gobbled it down and wanted them. Only the die-hard tech customers bypassed Polk at the time against Paradigm and Axiom that I was retailing. Polk at the sales floor was a major success.
I really wanted a pair of SDAs back in the day, but never got them. I still find them intriguing, but not enough to refurb a pair.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I really wanted a pair of SDAs back in the day, but never got them. I still find them intriguing, but not enough to refurb a pair.
The new L800 is getting some pretty good press... and pretty good word-of-mouth.
FWIW.

(sorry for the digression)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They sound very cool for awhile but on some program material they sound a bit hollow and fake. As can be expected with the design. Overall a very cool speaker though. It was definitely leading edge stuff at the time. The boxes they came in where near coffin sized...lol

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am, unapologetically, a Polk fanboy from the very early days of the brand.
The fact that Matt Polk and I share an alma mater isn't entirely coincidental to this, but the reasons are subtle & varied.
My Monitor Series Model 7A loudspeakers, purchased from Polk's first dealer (Soundscape) in 1978, were my first 'modern' hifi loudspeakers and were an outstanding value then and are still here today (and still sound very good by any reasonable standard).

I was never too crazy about the SDA monstrosities (FWIW).

I recently purchased a pair of modern Polk loudspeakers, largely based on reviews & chatter posted on this very forum.

I sold many Polk 7's and the bigger brother with the dual small drivers and the bigger passive radiator. A very fussy workmate that had good ears swore by Polk and ran them at home too. I always remember that.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d never have…*cough* … coffin-sized speakers! Well, maybe for an adult. That played in the NBA. That wasn’t Muggsy Bogues.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audioquest...oh wait...I purchased a dragonfly red before I learned about this site...:p

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup, they exist.

Topping? I mean, come on.
What is it? a pizza?

Harbeth, of course you wouldn't like to buy that. If you don't know why, have a look at HUG (Harbeth User Group).
I own Harbeth speakers, and I’m a member of HUG. Shaw is odd, but he’s more publicly science-based than most of his competition.

More generally, I’ve noticed brands change. I used to own B&W (in 1984-6), but I wouldn’t buy them now. High end cable companies, though - never.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why? I sold Polk speakers for some years and the customers where intrigued and buying the gear....but peeps ate it up like, gobbled it down and wanted them.
Yes, I hadn't owned any and I guess bought into the "intrigue"; as Polk has always seemed as a reputable brand with continued 'advancements' and improvements. After an online purchase of a brand new Polk center release, it sounded ungood to these ears. Amir proved my ears correct and an esteemed member correctly recommended that I use it as "doorstop"!
[my Polk center was not a bottom-of-the-barrel cheap line in Polk series]

Top Bottom