• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What film or documentary did you watch last? | Medium: Cinema, DVD, Blu, 3D, 4K, Netflix, ...

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
You won't find many positive reviews.
Why? Because most reviewers didn't take their time, fastforward, went in totally wrong directions, made the wrong judgements, didn't use their brain properly, brief they messed their reviews 100%

This doc is food for brain, it's a Must see.
It might take hundred years before someone read this, I won't be here.
Everything is important. This doc is important, very.

* That French film you mentioned, 'Holy Motors'; coming right up within the next coming weeks, after Halloween, before Christmas.
Meanwhile John Coltrane is spinning in the background of autumn leaves slowly dropping through my studio's windows.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Last night I watched a mini docu-series (2 hours and 40 minutes) consisting of three episodes (less than an hour each) on Netflix.

I cannot describe, I cannot evaluate the full impact, I cannot write a review on what transcended, I cannot phantom/fathom the true grasp because I wasn't there.

What I can do is to listen to the survivors and their experience in their own words.
Totally chilling, humanitarian, devastating, life's changing, frailty, incapacitating the deepest human soul, déchirant, extrêmement très poignant, ...it's a Must Hear.

Overall: 100+

* It will make a mark, a deep realisation on human lives, the many many lost ones, the ones who survive, the description from all thewitnesses, some extremely close, amazingly close, so close that life plays right in front of them...all their entire life, children, their Moms, ....

There is also some deep human good in all this devastating lost of young people.
You need, I said need, like in must, to listen to the kids who were interacting with two of the terrorists, their stories are unforgettable. You will feel their heart very very deep.
It is important, very very important to hear them telling their stories. It will make appreciate life that much more.

Also it is supremely touching the human soul to listen to the comments from some officials, swat team members, police officers, ... it is totally humanitarian opening.

There are some segments that will make a dent like it never had in your life before.
...Like the cell phones ringing, and in vibrating mode, and displaying live faces of Moms and Dads trying to reach their dead children laying on the floor.

This docu-series @ just over 2.5 hours, from three episodes, is a Must look @ and Hear the commentaries. It is in French but with English subtitles. It is essential food for the brain and soul. Make it a priority, as world's citizens no matter your origin, nationality, class status, job, where you live geographically, where you travel, who you are inside.

Last edited:
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Watched this a couple of nights ago.

Atmospheric, mesmerising, unsettling, indulgent.

I decided to give it a go; I speak French.
Apps are nice.

I enjoyed it; great performance(s) by our main actor.
It's not a Disney Marvel comic movie and that's what makes it a good thing, a good break from super heroes in the comic books.
It's different, very. It is humorous, creative, daring a bit, funny, with actors from all life's venues. Thank you for sharing art film expression and expansion beyond the big money makers from Hollywood movie studios. This is French, this is German, this is movie making on another level.

This is a highly acclaimed film globally, and highly ranked by some of the best world's film critics. It won several prestigious film awards plus the performances by the actors.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Motors

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I revisited Parasite, on Blu-ray.
This is the third time; I don't usually do that within a short time range.
There are reasons for that; but beyond those reasons I discovered much more.

If you listen to Beethoven music, a particular album that you like; you will revisit it...me definitely. And if you felt that you might have missed something or cut short, you will spin it again...me most definitely. I got time on my side.

With Parasite it's similar. After a third play I appreciate much more how the scenes were lighted up, the camera angles, the atmosphere created by the decor sets, the multitude of small exquisite details, the interaction (spoken) between the communicating actors...the humor, the incisiveness, the inclusiveness, the sharpness, the razorness.

I like the way the camera moves; gently, smoothly, no staccato (I can't stand shaky/hastily camera work, it gives me bad headaches and it's not my take on having good times @ the movies). Here it's artily done, digestible, tasty, very.

There are many scenes that are masterpieces in their composition, execution.
And many times the very nice and subtle music score is just dancing with those scenes in magic synchronization...very well done.

There are other films I really too; The Irishman, 1917, Ford v Ferrari ... only to name three more with Parasite...wishin the range of the nine films nominated @ the 2020 Academy Awards ... Oscars. It was a bummer that The Irishman won no trophy, but Marty got a standing ovation, thanks to Parasites Director: Bong Joon-ho

He's the same guy who directed The Host.
Purely coincidental ... Parasite, Host, Virus, COVID-19

* There is a black & white cut of Paradits coming up in a very near future; I won't miss it...I'm a black and white movie fan from some of the top filmmakers. ...A 4K BR version in the package too.
_____

What was the last documentary, or film you watched ... or @ home or @ the theater?
Was it worth it to mention here? Or even if it wasn't I'd like to be warned; time is precious, knowledge is king, sharing is love, communication is critical.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seconde time stille hilarious.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
My Mom (she's 85), she went to see The Hateful Eight @ the theater when it came out.
She also likes classical live music in concert halls, and assisting to tennis pro matches (men), and she used to play golf, now she watches big golf tournaments on TV.

She liked the cinematography in The 8ful 8.

Me, I liked the dialog of course (extremely humorous), the cinematography certainly, and with you I agree; it is hilarious even watching a second time around.

I know some people who never watch a film twice, ever.
I know very few people who never listen to a music album twice.
I respect that.

I've heard of some people who went to the theaters and watched a Star Wars film for more than hundred times! I respect that too.

* Last night (revisited for the x times) ...
51WUS%2BwCpPL._SX342_.jpg

I like Quentin Tarantino's films, and I like the Coen Brother's films.
In that one above, Javier Bardem is playing something else ...
This is one of my favorite replay value films; not for the money and the drug deal that went wrong, but for what people can do in movies to protect their interest. Javier takes his job of recovering the money seriously, very. The Coen Brothers, like Quentin Tarantino, are master storytellers. Their films grab your interest from the beginning, during and till the end. They are certainly not for the sensitive type, but my Mom @ 85 and very sensitive, don't mind @ all.

Rockfella

Forum Donor

This one shook me up. It is a movie. Really weird.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I've been watching a lot of Documentaries attached to Criterion DVD reissues lately. The local library has a lot of the Criterion issues of classic films, often I find the "Making of" docs more interesting than the movies themselves. The most recent are the docs attached to "The Last Picture Show". I've been tracking a lot of Peter Bogdanovich's work recently, due to the final release of Orson Welles' last film, "The Other Side of the Wind". Peter Bogdanovich started as an actor before moving on to write about classic filmmakers, later directing films, peaking out much too soon with "Picture Show". But his co-starring role with John Huston in "Wind" is probably his finest performance on screen as an actor, though Welles' final film was, in part, auto-fiction, with many of the situations in the lives of Bogdanovich and Welles folded into the movie as their lives changed, Peter's reputation climbing as Welles' descended.

This is an early documentary by Bogdanovich about John Ford that was later expanded and re-cut for Turner Classic Movies:

This is a documentary, directed by Ryan Suffern, produced by Frank Marshall and Filip Jan Rymza, about how "The Other Side of the Wind" was finally realized, with fascinating technical details–this movie, though initiated some 50 years ago, could not be completed until just a few years ago. Orson Welles had the film shot using multiple varieties of film stock, 8mm, 16mm, 35mm, B & W and color, with collage styled editing. This sort of mixed-media visual collage could not be realized until computer assisted editing was the norm, and required additional high-tech work to find master shots used in Welles' edit, which only covered 45 minutes of what turned out to be a two hour movie:

The next documentary I'll be watching is Peter Bogdanovich's "Running Down A Dream", about Tom Petty:

Last edited:

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It IS. We almost cried. Imagine this for a documentary, that does not use any music (only in the beginning and the end) no narration or any other means of artificial emotionalizing. Just very clever filming and editing besides very good sound design...

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tonight Star Trek Picard 01-06 Locutus of Borg is back.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sunderland Til I Die on Netflix.

Top Bottom