• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What exactly does Barefoot mean by "Rear waveguide chamber"?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Barefoot describes something called a "rear waveguide chamber" in their specs for many of their models - what is it, and how exactly does it work compared to a more obvious external waveguide?

https://barefootsound.com/micromain45/
image.png

Scholl

If you are interested, the tweeter they use on most of their expensive models is the Scan-Speak R3004-602010 without the protective grille.

https://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/r3004-602010.pdf

I don't believe there is anything particular about this rear chamber. Scan-speak do not mention a "rear waveguide", they say it is a "large, non resonant, alu chamber". Most of these tweeter chambers have an internal shape that reduces reflections coming back to the diaphragm. In that sense it is some kind of waveguide indeed. But this is nothing exceptional for a tweeter.

BTW, this tweeter has good extension in the highs, very good linearity, pretty low high-order harmonic distortion, but its 2nd HD is quite high. It is also pricy, and I think there are better performing tweeter for lower prices in that regard. Still, 2nd HD is often considered as the least objectionable HD, so this driver should still sound pretty good. Few people seem to complain about the highs on barefoot monitors.

R3004.602010 measurements

Last edited:
OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
IFew people seem to complain about the highs on barefoot monitors.
Appreciate that info. And yeah, I really have liked every Barefoot I've used. They're super flat and low distortion, and they will tell you real quick if you're overdoing something.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
As I hear from manufacturers the larger rear chamber is supposed to allow a tweeter to play a bit lower in frequency compared to not having one. Wether this is true I don't know. This is from the blurb of the tweeters I recently brought.
Screenshot_20201230-211713.png

Top Bottom