• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What electronic audio products you want tested most

What electronics audio product you like to see tested more

• Power and Integrated Amplifiers

Votes: 623 55.2%
  • Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 181 16.0%
  • Home Theater AVRs

Votes: 301 26.7%
  • Home Theater Processors

Votes: 198 17.5%
  • DACs

Votes: 349 30.9%
  • Streamers

Votes: 258 22.9%
  • Combo DAC and Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 233 20.6%
  • Phono preamp

Votes: 105 9.3%
  • DSP (digital signal processors)

Votes: 371 32.9%
  • Vintage audio products

Votes: 267 23.6%

• Total voters

¥€$

Genelec 1236A

rsldgzm11piotys8yihk.jpg

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Focal Chora 826 and some Chinese tube amps. 300b SET, maybe el34 or 2a3 SET , KT88 push-pull from popular brands. cheap like Oldchen, Reisong, mid price like Muzishare, Willsenton, or higher like Cayin or Line Magnetic. I'd be curious about MC275 as well.

anon2k2

Forum Donor
i'd like to have the ifi hip dac to be tested.

I have one and I could send it in for testing. One of the things to note is that for some reason the battery it uses drains very rapidly while it is turned off. If I put it away with a full charge, there's basically no charge within a couple of days. Asking around on other internet forum, that seems to be a common experience.

hello_there

While the DAC, amplifier and speaker tests are paramount, as they are ubiquitous in today's playback systems, digital streamers and servers are also.

I would hate to see diminished tests with DACs, amplifiers and speakers, and I would absolutely love to see testing with servers and streamers. Servers especially.

Amirm, your passion, time and energy to do what you do is most appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

david85

I have one and I could send it in for testing. One of the things to note is that for some reason the battery it uses drains very rapidly while it is turned off. If I put it away with a full charge, there's basically no charge within a couple of days. Asking around on other internet forum, that seems to be a common experience.
then i shall put off my plans of buying it. Thanks for your review

carewser

Out of this list i'd go with vintage audio but my choice by far would be speakers

LearningToSmile

Other than the iFi Hip Dac another new portable DAC/Amp I'd like to see measurements of is the Fiio Q3 - $149, THX, specs seem to be in the same general ballpark as the Topping NX4/iFi Hip Dac. Includes both 2.5 and 4.4mm outputs which is neat at this price point.

SineWave

Would like to see some reviews on power amps around $1,000 (preferably a little under rather than over). But ones that can handle low impedance really well (down to 4 ohms, 2 ohms a nice bonus). Something around 100wpc @ 8ohm, 200W @4ohm. Thanks in advance!

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Qudelix 5k, including DAC only use, headphone amp, and BT, including LDAC and AAC

GMG

Are there any reviews/measurements for the new ifi ipower X
Wondering if the issue/claim of leakage back to the mains on the original ipower was resolved.
ifi claim x20 better performance on leakage compared to "standard smps"

Many Thanks

D

Deleted member 5035

Motherboard audio... Maybe powered studio speakers... Maybe get into headphones testing...

kipman725

Crown MA500VZ or MA5002VZ, interesting to see how good the last generation of AB (ish) PA amps perfromed as they where designed to get very low damping factor which implys a high open loop gain and corespondingly low noise and distortion.

D

Deleted member 5035

I understand your reluctance, but I would love to see a review of the latest version of the Garage1217 Project Ember.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure if this is the correct place for this post, but I'll try to convey my idea here. I'd like to see the Monoprice Monolith amps tested...2/3/5/7 channel, not sure it would matter much. It seems to offer excellent value in terms of objective performance for the price, and would be interesting to see how it stacks up to some of the really good class D amps i.e. NC400/500 etc.

However, I think it would be very interesting to take this a step further.

Start with an average AVR...say....a Denon 3600/3700/4700 since they seem to be the value leaders in terms of excellent objective performance vs price.

Using a speaker with high power handling, say, a multi bass driver tower such as Revel F208, and do compression/distortion sweeps using said AVR. After letting the speaker cool thoroughly(voice coils, crossover components etc), do compression/distortion sweeps using the better, higher quality amplifier driven by the AVR's pre-outs.

Lets see where the rubber meets the road. How loud does the speaker need to be driven before one could realistically expect audible or even measurable improvements. And please, please, use standard dB/reference level notation for testing.

I feel like it would be very interesting to see at what levels things started to make any difference in the real world. Would the AVR prove adequate up to reference level? Above? Significantly below?

This is a test I will do myself if I ever purchase an aftermarket amp, but, honestly, my AVR provides more power than I need for my listening levels 99.99% of the time. The only situation it would matter at all would be a brief demo loud enough to cause tinnitus. So not realistically going to happen soon on my end.

Sorry for such a long drawn out way of saying this, but I would find the topic interesting.

Also, it would be interesting to compare measured THD of the speaker using the AVR with its 85ish dB SINAD and the higher SINAD of the aftermarket amp to see if the higher SINAD makes any real difference at normal, moderate listening levels an not just max output.

Top Bottom