• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What electronic audio products you want tested most

What electronics audio product you like to see tested more

• Power and Integrated Amplifiers

Votes: 623 55.2%
  • Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 181 16.0%
  • Home Theater AVRs

Votes: 301 26.7%
  • Home Theater Processors

Votes: 198 17.5%
  • DACs

Votes: 349 30.9%
  • Streamers

Votes: 258 22.9%
  • Combo DAC and Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 233 20.6%
  • Phono preamp

Votes: 105 9.3%
  • DSP (digital signal processors)

Votes: 371 32.9%
  • Vintage audio products

Votes: 267 23.6%

• Total voters

matt3421

it would be awesome if you could measure western equivalents of remote controlled budget dac or dac amp combos like the E30 or DX3 Pro, if they exist

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be very, very grateful for testing and measuring of the current or previous generation of Mcintosh amplifiers and AV preamps.
People seem to adore them for the design, but i have my doubts about the real performance. The same for Dan D´Agostino huge power monoblocks.
I'll jump in on that with a slight change 'current AND previous generations of McIntosh equipment'. The same for Dan D'Agostino equipment. Are these things just 'Lifestyle' products or do they actually perform?

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
I'll jump in on that with a slight change 'current AND previous generations of McIntosh equipment'. The same for Dan D'Agostino equipment. Are these things just 'Lifestyle' products or do they actually perform?
I have actually been part of a blind A/B comparation, about 5 years ago. Volumes matched, 5 people were writing down their preferred amplifier sound, very funny David VS Goliath components- A was my Pascal S-Pro 2x500W class D amp that i just have quickly put in some small wooden box of a size of cigarettes carton, B were two huge Mcintosh Monoblocks. Everyone preferred the A sound, repeatedly. Go figure :)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have actually been part of a blind A/B comparation, about 5 years ago. Volumes matched, 5 people were writing down their preferred amplifier sound, very funny David VS Goliath components- A was my Pascal S-Pro 2x500W class D amp that i just have quickly put in some small wooden box of a size of cigarettes carton, B were two huge Mcintosh Monoblocks. Everyone preferred the A sound, repeatedly. Go figure :)
That shows that the Pascal S-Pro 2x500W was preferred (which is wonderful that we have a great class D option). That does not show if there are reasons that the McIntosh might not be worthy of it's accolades (I tend to like function more over form, some prefer function and form, and some prefer form over function). The looks of McIntosh gear is very attractive to some. Where does it lie on the actual 'doing the job of reproduction' number line is the question. Some may decide that it looks very good & does a 'good 'nuff' job to warrant it being in their system. Others may decide that it looks pretty good but that it doesn't do a 'good 'nuff' job to warrant it being in their system. & others may just not like it's looks, no matter the job it does. We can see the looks (and like or dislike it on those merits) but without measurements, we don't know where it lies on the scale of doing it's job. Or you may be like me & decide that it's not worth pursuing due to having decided that there are other things I would rather spend my limited funds on, no matter how well the McIntosh does or does not perform.

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
That shows that the Pascal S-Pro 2x500W was preferred (which is wonderful that we have a great class D option). That does not show if there are reasons that the McIntosh might not be worthy of it's accolades (I tend to like function more over form, some prefer function and form, and some prefer form over function). The looks of McIntosh gear is very attractive to some. Where does it lie on the actual 'doing the job of reproduction' number line is the question. Some may decide that it looks very good & does a 'good 'nuff' job to warrant it being in their system. Others may decide that it looks pretty good but that it doesn't do a 'good 'nuff' job to warrant it being in their system. & others may just not like it's looks, no matter the job it does. We can see the looks (and like or dislike it on those merits) but without measurements, we don't know where it lies on the scale of doing it's job. Or you may be like me & decide that it's not worth pursuing due to having decided that there are other things I would rather spend my limited funds on, no matter how well the McIntosh does or does not perform.

I agree, and i am not saying, that it is not worthy. I also understand, that people like to buy big altair like devices for lot of reasons, but i am doubting the obvious claims of those manufacturers, stating that all this heavy metal is needed for the product to perform really well, and that is the reason why i have mentioned this event.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, and i am not saying, that it is not worthy. I also understand, that people like to buy big altair like devices for lot of reasons, but i am doubting the obvious claims of those manufacturers, stating that all this heavy metal is needed for the product to perform really well, and that is the reason why i have mentioned this event.
I agree! Lets look beyond the exterior & see if it does it's job properly.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Time for the cambridge cxn v2. I have one, best streamer ever as far as functionality is concerned. Sound quality also very good. Relatively affordable as far as hifi goes.

paddycrow

Forum Donor
I would be very, very grateful for testing and measuring of the current or previous generation of Mcintosh amplifiers and AV preamps.
People seem to adore them for the design, but i have my doubts about the real performance. The same for Dan D´Agostino huge power monoblocks.

Given the price of D'Agostino's high end stuff, I wouldn't hold my breath!

I will say, they are beautifully machined!

auris

Loudspeakers:
1. Dynaudio Emit M10/M20
2. PSB Alpha P5
3. Q Acoustics Concept 20
4. Bowers & Wilkins 606
5. Harbeth P3ESR
6. Falcon Acoustics LS3/5a

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
I’d like to see a Parasound Halo amp tested, the ati signature series, and the anthem mca series.

Any DAC or interface with a microphone input. It's infuriating the only DACs with a microphone input are "gaming" combo ones like the Schiit Fulla/Hel or Mayflower Arc... but they could be good if tested. With many many more people working from home these days, having a decent microphone input for the non-stop conference calls is super valuable to me, it's not just for gaming. Interfaces like the Motu M2 look nice, but are overkill for me since I don't do any audio production work. And you probably lose some DAC quality on the interfaces since DAC'ing isn't their primary purpose.

Neale

I like to get a gauge of what categories of products I should be testing more (electronics only) ...

Noting that the request is for 'electronics only' I want to push AV Processors up higher in the priority listing. Also, given the forum interest in powered speakers/monitors, and given how reviews have demonstrated the good value available, it seems that the combination of processor and powered speakers is a home theater solution that's worth more attention.

sophie smith

Some tube amplifiers. Only one or two have been measured as opposed to multiple digital amps.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps this (high $?$?$?$) tube amp?
1595877106486.png

sophie smith

There are plenty of tube amps compatible in price to the SS amps.
Many are US made (Decware, Quicksilver, Dynaco ....) but many highly regarded Chinese made as well.

Top Bottom