• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What electronic audio products you want tested most

What electronics audio product you like to see tested more

• Power and Integrated Amplifiers

Votes: 623 55.2%
  • Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 181 16.0%
  • Home Theater AVRs

Votes: 301 26.7%
  • Home Theater Processors

Votes: 198 17.5%
  • DACs

Votes: 349 30.9%
  • Streamers

Votes: 258 22.9%
  • Combo DAC and Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 233 20.6%
  • Phono preamp

Votes: 105 9.3%
  • DSP (digital signal processors)

Votes: 371 32.9%
  • Vintage audio products

Votes: 267 23.6%

• Total voters

EmilMadsen90

Some desktop PC motherboards (budget, gaming, etc.) and laptops (budget, gaming, business, etc.) to serve as comparisons against external DAC's and headphone amps. Maybe a few turntables and cartridges to serve as comparisons against (very) cheap DAC's :)

bunnyfuzz

Just came across this: Sony SA-Z1. Very high-end desktop system.

Sony SA-Z1.jpg

Karu

Forum Donor
I would like to see the streaming input (ethernet) tested on the various DAC/preamp products such as the Matrix Elment I; miniDSP SHD. Because they measure well on the standard input but then I saw a comment that e.g. the matrix i may have issues if streamed via Ethernet... I am looking to reduce my box count but as ethernet in would be my main use case, I am in doubt of the performance I would get.

Reactions: ENG

Lavawood

Forum Donor
If I missed it, please point me in the right direction. What is the best way to get a clean USB signal from a pc. Is there a guide for those motherboard/pci/sound cards that do this well?

I believe my USB out is good, but I can’t measure it as far as I know. It’s silent now. I use a PCI card just for USB. I paid $400, can it be done for $150?

I grew up using the crappy line level outs of sound cards. Now, USB has been noisier than I knew it could be.

Is OCXO beneficial on the pc side or the dac side? Never both, right? Which clock is better? OCXO, TCXO, Femto, how many picoseconds does it take ?

are there DACs that can take whatever usb you feed it and clean it up reliably? This is one instance where noise is easily identified, costly to eliminate.

JeanMiK

What about checking some of the most popular amplifier modules available on the various DIY forums and websites ?
I've build quite some of them myself, basic measurements look fine, I'm sure there are quite some around .....

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
I would like to see some Quad classics measured, a rebuilt 303 or 405-2 for example.

Hear, hear...
Specifications vary, but these figures for the Quad 306 power amplifier look pretty competitive even today:

http://www.hi-fi-insight.com/quad-306-power-amplifier.html
(There may be some perceived bass warmth, however, from the limited bass bandwidth apparently causing phase shifts.)

Specifications for the Quad 303:
https://www.petervis.com/gallery/Vintage Advertisements/quad/quad-303-spec.html

Fers66

Dear Amir!
If possible...would love to see your review of any product from Gryphon Audio.
https://gryphon-audio.dk/
That´s some really expensive stuff in my country...with glorious reviews anywhere...
Also...they look great too...
Will The Mighty Gryphon survive a ASR review?
That will be cool! :cool:

MEPHISTO_AMP_NY_SQ.jpg MEPHISTO_INSIDE.jpg ESSENCE_PRE_FRIT_BAGFRA.jpg 2-2.jpg 1-1-1-1.jpg

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
After reading the review of the Denon AVR-X3500H and seeing how the DAC measurements at 1 volt are pretty good, I’d love to see how some of the Parasound Halo amps perform. They all have 1 volt input sensitivity, which should make them a good match for taking some channels off the AVR. Specifically, I’d be interested in the:

Parasound Halo A23+ 2 channel amp
Parasound Halo A52+ 5 channel amp
Parasound Halo HINT 6 2 channel integrated amp with HT bypass

For class A/AB they are not insanely expensive and are supposed to sound great. The idea being buy a inexpensive ish AVR like the Dennon X3500H whenever the video tech requires an upgrade and keep the Parasound long term.

I had a Parasound A51 and a Jc1. despite the massive shield on the transformers, they both had considerable mains hum on mine. tons of power though.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I had a Parasound A51 and a Jc1. despite the massive shield on the transformers, they both had considerable mains hum on mine. tons of power though.
I've used several (less expensive) Parasounds and never had any hum issues.
A31
A52+
A21+
P7
and probably a couple of others.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Dear Amir!
If possible...would love to see your review of any product from Gryphon Audio.
https://gryphon-audio.dk/
That´s some really expensive stuff in my country...with glorious reviews anywhere...
Also...they look great too...
Will The Mighty Gryphon survive a ASR review?
That will be cool! :cool:

View attachment 53818View attachment 53819View attachment 53820View attachment 53821View attachment 53822
Based on some of the measurements taken on other sites https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...ac&catid=97:amplifier-measurements&Itemid=154

I really don't think Gryphon amps are going to measure good on the workbench. As you know, Amir's equipment reviews focus mostly on the measurements. I think the Gryphon amps are really good though, I don't know of many other class AB amps using zero feedback, and the distortion is, admittedly, very low for a zero feedback design. It's perhaps these amps often get described as being so good sounding, despite not being anything special on paper.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I missed it, please point me in the right direction. What is the best way to get a clean USB signal from a pc. Is there a guide for those motherboard/pci/sound cards that do this well?

I believe my USB out is good, but I can’t measure it as far as I know. It’s silent now. I use a PCI card just for USB. I paid $400, can it be done for $150?

I grew up using the crappy line level outs of sound cards. Now, USB has been noisier than I knew it could be.

Is OCXO beneficial on the pc side or the dac side? Never both, right? Which clock is better? OCXO, TCXO, Femto, how many picoseconds does it take ?

are there DACs that can take whatever usb you feed it and clean it up reliably? This is one instance where noise is easily identified, costly to eliminate.

Don't worry about it.

The clock in your DAC is the one to use.

Few modern DACs have any problems with noise.

Buy better speakers & room tmts.

domisol24

can you do crown amplifiers and cheap japanese class a/b amplifiers?

Last edited:

BsdKurt

Forum Donor
I've used several (less expensive) Parasounds and never had any hum issues.
A31
A52+
A21+
P7
and probably a couple of others.
@Kal Rubinson Do you still have the A52+? I’d be willing to pay for shipping to get it tested by Amir provided it isn‘t prohibitively expensive to do that.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Ottocanali 1204

An 8 channel amplifier with DSP. Bi-amp up to 4 2-way speakers
Check out the DSP functions. Seems everything you might do with a miniDSP..

Attachments

• Ottocanali_DSP_1204_Series_WEB.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 251

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
@Kal Rubinson Do you still have the A52+? I’d be willing to pay for shipping to get it tested by Amir provided it isn‘t prohibitively expensive to do that.
1. I do not still have it. OTOH, I am looking for a new 5+ channel amp as my trusty Bryston 9B has blown a channel (again) and I have decided to move on from it. The A52+ is a possibility.
2. I have a "conflict of interest" in supplying it to Amir enough though I would be curious about the results.
3. Also, it is too heavy for me to move/pack/ship without assistance.

Top Bottom