• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What electronic audio products you want tested most

What electronics audio product you like to see tested more

• Power and Integrated Amplifiers

Votes: 623 55.2%
  • Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 181 16.0%
  • Home Theater AVRs

Votes: 301 26.7%
  • Home Theater Processors

Votes: 198 17.5%
  • DACs

Votes: 349 30.9%
  • Streamers

Votes: 258 22.9%
  • Combo DAC and Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 233 20.6%
  • Phono preamp

Votes: 105 9.3%
  • DSP (digital signal processors)

Votes: 371 32.9%
  • Vintage audio products

Votes: 267 23.6%

• Total voters

Nango

Major Contributor
No more speaking testing pls, try to return the equipment to Klipsch within the 14 days grace period and focus more on other gear pls.

lszomb

Forum Donor
More expensive speakers please....or maybe more snake oil. I really want to know if those 10k USD power filter is going to help.

Last edited:

Asylum Seeker

I'd still like to see all the equivalent measurements and graphs you made for the LG G7 done for your Samsung Galaxy S8+ and presented in a standalone review - a large proportion of music listeners on the go still listen via their smartphones, and the audio chip in your S8+ is the same as in the S9 and S10 series, which altogether is a huge number of users, so this would still be a relevant review to a lot of people.

It would be very interesting to see exactly how it compares to the G7 and all the dongles you've reviewed, particularity the Samsung dongle, as it looks like future Samsung smartphones won't have a 3.5mm audio jack, so many would want to know if upgrading to the new phones and having to use the dongle would actually be a downgrade in audio performance.

I second the general thrust of this. DAPs are dead, the smartphone is King. We want to know how good headphone jack output on smartphones is. Bluetooth output quality too.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, I like using a Clip+ when doing chores & so on. It's good to put the phone's distractions away for a little while, not to worry about the battery (& the phone charges at the same time), and definitely not worry about breaking it. Not sure what I'll buy when this Clip (my 2nd) dies. Are there good $50 options?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Atc speakers and electronics, magnepans, dsp and active crossovers, vintage and modern "high end" like bryston, krell, pass, jeff rowland, plinius, mark levinson and japanese power amps!

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I second the general thrust of this. DAPs are dead, the smartphone is King. We want to know how good headphone jack output on smartphones is. Bluetooth output quality too.

Agreed. The smartphone review category on here is the only one with just a single product in it so far. That LG G7 is looking mighty lonely all on its own ;)

Last edited:

Asylum Seeker

Hey, I like using a Clip+ when doing chores & so on. It's good to put the phone's distractions away for a little while, not to worry about the battery (& the phone charges at the same time), and definitely not worry about breaking it. Not sure what I'll buy when this Clip (my 2nd) dies. Are there good $50 options?

I hear you...about getting away from your phone once in a while. What to do when your Clip+ dies? Get a pair of BT earbuds. Put the phone down in Airplane mode (BT on) and roam your house untethered, listening to music being streamed via BT. I live in a two-storey house and the BT buds (Anker Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro) keep up with me all around the house without connection breakup and they very good for what they are.

Asylum Seeker

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like to see currently available multichannel amplifiers from Emotiva, Outlaw Audio, and Monolith tested. For comparison sake, would be open to some comparable Class D offerings too. Looking for something that has unbalanced inputs and a streamer to match.

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pimoroni Pirate Audio products for Raspberry Pi.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I hear you...about getting away from your phone once in a while. What to do when your Clip+ dies? Get a pair of BT earbuds. Put the phone down in Airplane mode (BT on) and roam your house untethered, listening to music being streamed via BT. I live in a two-storey house and the BT buds (Anker Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro) keep up with me all around the house without connection breakup and they very good for what they are.

Or get something like the Qudelix 5K to turn any of your headphones into a wireless pair, with a 20-band parametric equalizer to enable system-wide mobile EQing. I'd love to see measurements of that when it comes out next month (it's made by the same developer of the ES100 so I'm expecting good things.)

Asylum Seeker

Or get something like the Qudelix 5K to turn any of your headphones into a wireless pair, with a 20-band parametric equalizer to enable system-wide mobile EQing. I'd love to see measurements of that when it comes out next month (it's made by the same developer of the ES100 so I'm expecting good things.)

The Qudelix 5K joins the arena of self-powered, micro-USB DAC/Amp/BT receiver devices led now by the Fiio BTR5 and Shanling UP4. All of these devices are under 30cm2 in volume. No need to wait for the Qudelix to be released for both the Fiio and Shanling are now out.

Any others than can run with these three?

bobbooo

Major Contributor
The Qudelix 5K joins the arena of self-powered, micro-USB DAC/Amp/BT receiver devices led now by the Fiio BTR5 and Shanling UP4. All of these devices are under 30cm2 in volume. No need to wait for the Qudelix to be released for both the Fiio and Shanling are now out.

Any others than can run with these three?

None of the others have a parametric hardware equalizer though - it's a killer feature for the Qudelix.

Asylum Seeker

I agree Parametric is killer, but UAPP does (in-app purchase).

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I agree Parametric is killer, but UAPP does (in-app purchase).

That's just 6-band, and only confined to the UAPP app itself, as is Neutron Player's 30-band parametric EQ. The beauty of Qudelix's hardware PEQ is it's system-wide, so will work with all sound output from your phone, from any app e.g. Spotify, YouTube etc. It really is a game-changer for mobile EQing.

Asylum Seeker

That's just 6-band, and only confined to the UAPP app itself, as is Neutron Player's 30-band parametric EQ. The beauty of Qudelix's hardware PEQ is it's system-wide, so will work with all sound output from your phone, from any app e.g. Spotify, YouTube etc. It really is a game-changer.

Can you think of any other new ones, or about to come out? I've listed three (Fiio BTR5, Shanling UP4 and now the Qudelix 5K).

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder if as well as measuring equipment you might consider measuring different sorts of set ups and some of the more debateable hi-fi suggestions.

For example, the various multi-amping vs single amp, active vs passive speaker crossovers, the various types of connections - balanced, RCA etc., balanced vs single ended headphones, grounding, power supply (regenerators, balanced supplies, conditioners).

There are other things such as headphone crossfeed and ambiophonics which are talked about and perhaps are more psychoacoustic and therefore more subjective but it would be nice to see any measurements on these.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Can you think of any other new ones, or about to come out? I've listed three (Fiio BTR5, Shanling UP4 and now the Qudelix 5K).

Not Bluetooth, but the MiniDSP IL-DSP has a 10-band PEQ. Unfortunately there are issues with incorrect implementation of the EQ filters which can lead to clipping, and bizarrely for a mobile device it has no app so you have to connect it to a PC to make any changes to the EQ, which severely limits its utility (the Qudelix however will have an app for this purpose).

BsdKurt

Forum Donor
After reading the review of the Denon AVR-X3500H and seeing how the DAC measurements at 1 volt are pretty good, I’d love to see how some of the Parasound Halo amps perform. They all have 1 volt input sensitivity, which should make them a good match for taking some channels off the AVR. Specifically, I’d be interested in the:

Parasound Halo A23+ 2 channel amp
Parasound Halo A52+ 5 channel amp
Parasound Halo HINT 6 2 channel integrated amp with HT bypass

For class A/AB they are not insanely expensive and are supposed to sound great. The idea being buy a inexpensive ish AVR like the Dennon X3500H whenever the video tech requires an upgrade and keep the Parasound long term.

Last edited:
Top Bottom