• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What electronic audio products you want tested most

What electronics audio product you like to see tested more

• Power and Integrated Amplifiers

Votes: 623 55.2%
  • Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 181 16.0%
  • Home Theater AVRs

Votes: 301 26.7%
  • Home Theater Processors

Votes: 198 17.5%
  • DACs

Votes: 349 30.9%
  • Streamers

Votes: 258 22.9%
  • Combo DAC and Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 233 20.6%
  • Phono preamp

Votes: 105 9.3%
  • DSP (digital signal processors)

Votes: 371 32.9%
  • Vintage audio products

Votes: 267 23.6%

• Total voters

JustPoo

I'd like to see some AVR's. Really soon. The urgency has nothing to do with mine making a noise distinctly like death throes this evening.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd like to see some AVR's. Really soon. The urgency has nothing to do with mine making a noise distinctly like death throes this evening.
Try some inexpensive ones from your local classifieds to tide you over?

JustPoo

I may even go two channel + subs when this AVR is kaput. Judging by that noise I don't give it long. It's a good idea though and I might start looking at 2nd hand anyway. I've thought about upgrading the system but I'm restricted for now, it's a smallish (UK!) spare room. I don't even need switching or the latest codecs, just a solidly made workhorse with five good clean channels.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir,

I'd really like to see you test the claims of some high-end AC power cables !!!!
I don't have any high-end power cables to test. I have some premium ones which I plan to test one day.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I'd really love to see measurements for the Outlaw Model 976 7.2 HDMI AV Surround Processor.

I've done a bit of research, but unfortunately, I'm not aware of any Home Theater Processor that is Atmos ready or has extra channel outputs (RCA / XLR Balanced) for height speakers. *Okay, just now found one as suggested by RayDunzl: Integra DRC-R1.1

Frankly, I'm only interested in using active speakers with the amplifiers already built-in the box. However, just about every processor and/or receiver out there with height speaker channels that I've seen are overly large/huge in size, and don't have any of the most basic RCA/balanced preamp line-outs required, e.g. Denon AVR-X4500H -- just the usual (and so last century) speaker terminal outs.

It's ridiculous how we get bombarded by so much marketing and advertising fluff on "Dolby Atmos" out there, say, for Tidal Music, Amazon Music, misc. video streaming services, and even the latest UHD bluray discs -- but what the hell is the point if they make it so hard to actually be able use/experience the darned format easily, and, cheaply? Processors and Receivers also become obsolete quickly as well... pretty frustrating.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have any high-end power cables to test. I have some premium ones which I plan to test one day.
>@*_^@<<< rolls eyes... 1 meter high fidelity AC mains power cables... what next?

EDIT:
I think to do that one would need fully conditioned AC mains with reference standard. techy stuff...

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
EDIT:
I think to do that one would need fully conditioned AC mains with reference standard. techy stuff...
I have a lab programmable AC generator.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

BobbyTimmons

Is there no way to test speakers? - as speakers are possibly the most important component of a hi-fi's sound?

Grandzoltar

Forum Donor
Is there no way to test speakers? - as speakers are possibly the most important component of a hi-fi's sound?
Measuring speakers is much more involved. Most likely would have to be done outside in the air 10 ft or so to eliminate ground plane reflection. So time of year depending on where you live would be a problem then there shipping it’s not that bad shipping amp or dac sized dimensions. Getting into tower speakers size and weight would cost a few hundred one way.

Top Bottom