• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What electronic audio products you want tested most

What electronics audio product you like to see tested more

• Power and Integrated Amplifiers

Votes: 623 55.2%
  • Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 181 16.0%
  • Home Theater AVRs

Votes: 301 26.7%
  • Home Theater Processors

Votes: 198 17.5%
  • DACs

Votes: 349 30.9%
  • Streamers

Votes: 258 22.9%
  • Combo DAC and Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 233 20.6%
  • Phono preamp

Votes: 105 9.3%
  • DSP (digital signal processors)

Votes: 371 32.9%
  • Vintage audio products

Votes: 267 23.6%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I like to get a gauge of what categories of products I should be testing more (electronics only). So please vote.

As usual, I won't necessarily listen to you all. :D But like to have the data anyway.

If you are a visitor and not a member, this is your opportunity to join and have your voice heard.

You can vote for more than one product but please be selective.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
We have enough DACs to choose from. I would be interested in power amplifiers, especially since we don't have a whole lot of them that are much better than 16bit. This kinda defeats the purpose of 20bit DACs, doesn't it?

Also, I'd love to see some vintage equipment - while the repeatability and the truthfullness of the measurements is questionable, I really want to know how devices at the end of the 80s would fare, because it was mass market prime for the industry (IMHO) and I feel quality declined in the 90s. I want to know how good the 80s monster amps really are. Especially since you can get them for somewhat reasonable prices.

Just to have some reference points. Amps that everybody knows.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Another dimension might be cost, though this probably needs to be a subcategory under each of the above. For example:
Power and Integrated Amplifiers:
$100-$300
$300-$700
$700-$1100
Over $1100

Personally, I am never going to buy a $2500 anything. And while the PS Audio -like
'fleecing' reviews are fascinating and educational, as well as providing a 'public service'- maybe 1 in 10 or 15..

An eye toward 'value for money' has me looking in the $100 - $700 range..

Also, perhaps less emphasis on PC related, and more Android/iOS/cell phone related ...

When I think of what for me was exceptionally useful, it's the 'who woulda thought' discovery of the LG Quad DAC in your LG G7 review. This led to others finding $120 versions like NIB V20 H910, and the power workaround with an extension and 'noise limiter'.. Really neat.. Fantastic for $120...

Leads to another potentially useful 'survey' - thread on:
"What was the one review that you most appreciated - and why?"

Or more simply: 'All time favorite reviews':
Mine:
LG G 7
NX3s (Yes! Fantastic with planar magnetics for $55)
Apple Dongle

Last edited:

rgpit

Forum Donor
Line level Xovers and DAC preamp combos (similar to Benchmark DAC3 HGC)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm intrigued by phono stages, and I don't think we have seen a really great one measured yet, would be good to see how good they can get.

DSP is essential and underdeveloped.

Things which drive speakers need more work, but do you need your complex load first?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Leads to another potentially useful 'survey' - thread on:
"What was the one review that you most appreciated - and why?"

Or more simply: 'All time favorite reviews':
Mine:
LG G 7
NX3s (Yes! Fantastic with planar magnetics for $55)
Apple Dongle
Good thread idea. Nice for year-end, too.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
it seems like it's stretching your time already to stick to the electronics; what i would like to see if higher N measurement studies as well as in-depth presentations on the inherent characteristics of shared parts like the 9038q2m and 9038pro, axx93, 99, etc.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I really want to see more power amplifiers. Apart from the AHB2 the entire top of the chart is taken by class D. Let's test some more class A/B.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I am interested in how a range of DSP filters (shelving, x-over, peak etc) done in software, eg Roon, JRiver, Acourate compare to each other and also to identical filters done in hardware such as MiniDSP etc.
That would be a good comparison to see, a bit like the comparison of sample rate converter implementations that's been linked to before, but it doesn't require test gear as the ins and outs are all digital. That's a good task for the rest of us while those with the APs test things that need that sort of test gear.

On a related note I'd like to see more multichannel DACs tested, with or without DSP. The choice is somewhat limited for those looking to do active crossovers.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
We are still searching for a AV processor or AVR that delivers very good numbers and top notch audible performance. Hopefully reasonably priced.
I don't know if multich playback is finally finding it's market or not, but the latest CEDIA show was flush with new pre/pros and AVR's to indicate some growing interest.

DSP products. Let's start looking closely at the various paths and products to do DRC. IMO The most useful path to improving SQ at the listening chair is thru the use of digital room correction. We hear a lot of praise for some of the new active speakers on the market, the reason for the success has been the inclusion of DRC. Most of the components in the modern playback path are solved problems as to SQ, it's thru DSP that big improvements can be found.

oog747

Forum Donor
What about AD converters (for decent but not too expensive digitizing of analog sources to hi-res)? Or one should just get Tascam DA-3000 and don't bother?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
For any who have such devices: I would be very interested in measurements of hardware compressors, limiters and mic pre-amps. So much character is ascribed to differences in action on the input signal. It would be interesting if equivalent performance/effects could be obtained by messing with the settings, though this would be an entirely new and time-consuming area of testing.

For home listening, crossovers (digital and analog) would be interesting.

Newk Yuler

I'll suggest focusing on current equipment versus the novelty of obsolete equipment due to Amir's time constraints. But not necessarily excluding obsolete equipment with current resale value. Practical solutions are needed for prohibitive obstacles associated with shipping cost, insurance, weight, and packaging of larger and heavier equipment.

It's also important to note the ongoing proof in the value of ASR causing current manufacturers to improve designs when their equipment measures poorly. That's exactly how a free market is suppose to work.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do share the majority preference.
We have enough DACs and headphone amps to choose from.
More power amps!

Top Bottom