• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What electronic audio products you want tested most

What electronics audio product you like to see tested more

• Power and Integrated Amplifiers

Votes: 623 55.2%
  • Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 181 16.0%
  • Home Theater AVRs

Votes: 301 26.7%
  • Home Theater Processors

Votes: 198 17.5%
  • DACs

Votes: 349 30.9%
  • Streamers

Votes: 258 22.9%
  • Combo DAC and Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 233 20.6%
  • Phono preamp

Votes: 105 9.3%
  • DSP (digital signal processors)

Votes: 371 32.9%
  • Vintage audio products

Votes: 267 23.6%

• Total voters

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
AVRs and Room correction systems please.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got in a Soundblaster X1 and its pretty impressive, tried it with the 600ohm DT880 and they sounded good and pretty loud at 95 percent volume. I emailed Creative and here's the power chart:

1.2 Vrms (90 mW) @16 ohm
1.7 Vrms (90 mW) @32 ohm
2.4 Vrms (38 mW) @150 ohm
2.4 Vrms (10 mW) @600 ohm

It adjusts based on ohm rating detected, there's no way to override it in software. I tried it as a DAC with the Topping A90 and it sounded really good. Doesn't come with an ASIO driver, Wasapi push works but not pull (event). Also it works on the Android phone which was neat. I can send it over for testing if you like. The software isn't needed to use it, just plugs in and Windows finds it.

jamescarter1982

I like to get a gauge of what categories of products I should be testing more (electronics only). So please vote.

As usual, I won't necessarily listen to you all. :D But like to have the data anyway.

If you are a visitor and not a member, this is your opportunity to join and have your voice heard.

You can vote for more than one product but please be selective.
I'd like to suggest testing the xkitz electronic crossovers they promise impressive noise and distortion measurements . these could be really good for the dryer if the measurements are accurate

Reactions: rdo

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to see testing of a few SMSPs in order to confirm or refute some myths about this type of power supply, e.g.
  1. SMPS are noisy
  2. SMPS can't accommodate musical peaks as well as linear supplies.
I don't know if SMPS can be tested externally to an amp. In case it seems to me that it would be interesting to swap one or more amplifiers' linear supplies for one or more SMPS and measure the resulting changes.

jamescarter1982

I would like to see testing of a few SMSPs in order to confirm or refute some myths about this type of power supply, e.g.
  1. SMPS are noisy
  2. SMPS can't accommodate musical peaks as well as linear supplies.
I don't know if SMPS can be tested externally to an amp. In case it seems to me that it would be interesting to swap one or more amplifiers' linear supplies for one or more SMPS and measure the resulting changes.
yeah this would be interesting I've always understood transformers we're better but quite a few of the items tested on here seemed to have noise leaking from the transformer into the signal so maybe not as good as smps ?

GabrielPhoto

I would love to see a Tekton center like the Pendragon tested.
Its time to find out what they can do...I am guessing they measure terrible, based on my interactions with the owner and how far they go not to provide any type of measurements or even basic specs

tomchris

I would like to see a review of BACCH-dSP stereo 3D imaging processing tool from Theoretica Applied Physics.

the0bs3rv3r

I am very curious about angry audio chameleon stuff, specifically, their livestream level normalizer Chameleon C4, especially what hardware is used to build such a machine.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Palladium

Better than I expected.

I currently has one accepting LDAC from my media phone and outputting optical to a SMSL D-6 to solve the startup lag issue on the latter's own BT implementation.

Last edited:

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
We have enough DACs to choose from. I would be interested in power amplifiers, especially since we don't have a whole lot of them that are much better than 16bit. This kinda defeats the purpose of 20bit DACs, doesn't it?

Also, I'd love to see some vintage equipment - while the repeatability and the truthfullness of the measurements is questionable, I really want to know how devices at the end of the 80s would fare, because it was mass market prime for the industry (IMHO) and I feel quality declined in the 90s. I want to know how good the 80s monster amps really are. Especially since you can get them for somewhat reasonable prices.

Just to have some reference points. Amps that everybody knows.
Hafler DH-220

Jasperous

If anyone has one of those PrimaLuna integrated amplifiers, I'd love to see how a 40~wpc tube integrated measures.
Terribly! It is audibly apparent that there is a lot of resolution loss.

Charger

There are two new Douk Audio Chi-Fi products I've just pulled the trigger on: H7 amp and H8 preamp. It would be good to see them analysed. When they arrive I might do an amateur review myself perhaps.

DoesNotExist

Marantz Cinema 70
Slim AVR with 7.2 preout.

DoesNotExist

Canton Smart connect 5.1
A/V processor with 6 channel RCA out and 8 Channel wireless

Top Bottom