• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What electronic audio products you want tested most

What electronics audio product you like to see tested more

• Power and Integrated Amplifiers

Votes: 623 55.2%
  • Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 181 16.0%
  • Home Theater AVRs

Votes: 301 26.7%
  • Home Theater Processors

Votes: 198 17.5%
  • DACs

Votes: 349 30.9%
  • Streamers

Votes: 258 22.9%
  • Combo DAC and Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 233 20.6%
  • Phono preamp

Votes: 105 9.3%
  • DSP (digital signal processors)

Votes: 371 32.9%
  • Vintage audio products

Votes: 267 23.6%

• Total voters

ta240

Major Contributor
plate amps for subwoofers?

Especially in the lower price areas of the 100 watt ones.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are enough components tested and available. Room correction is influencing the sound big time.
Focussing on the end of the chain: Room correction and speakers and their correlation.
Not an easy topic.
This kind of DSP can have a massive positive effect in my experience, but I'm conflicted about it. Previous place I lived I had EQ'd the bass to be flat bang on the Harman Curve at the listening position and it sounded fantastic, but as soon as you move out of listening position it's quite rubbish & worse than no room DSP. New place I'm living in I'm just using an Anechoic Flat EQ and letting the speakers exist in my room (no room EQ), which does give a more natural experience to the speakers when you're walking around your home doing whatever in different positions in the room or in different rooms. I don't think I'm gonna be using room EQ unless I invest in some subs, but I don't know how homogenous I can get the sound throughout the room using x number of subs.....I really don't like the trade-off of room EQ at the moment. So I would like to see some articles or reviews here on how best to optimise room EQ for a large part of the room......but I still feel like it would ultimately make the sound more unnatural when you're in the unoptimised parts or if you go into the kitchen to make some dinner or something. I get the impression that Amir is not a massive fan of Room EQ, but it's just an impression. I'd like to see some articles on it though. (There was one that was started by Amir years ago, but it was never really finished).

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest, personally, the products I like seeing tested most are those most associated with audiophile myths, snake oil, rip-offs etc.

I think the results tend to have a resonance well beyond the particular product.

So, for instance, the more cable tests the merrier :)

DonR

Major Contributor
To be honest, personally, the products I like seeing tested most are those most associated with audiophile myths, snake oil, rip-offs etc.

I think the results tend to have a resonance well beyond the particular product.

I agree, the more outrageous the claim, the higher up the list it should go.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

From my brushes with the more credulous hi-fi enthusiasts, tests mean very little, because we "can't measure everything important".

DonR

Major Contributor
From my brushes with the more credulous hi-fi enthusiasts, tests mean very little, because we "can't measure everything important".
It's not those who have already dismissed the data that we need to convince, as you say nothing will convince them. It's the fence-sitters, those who are curious and still questioning that need to be reached. At least put the data in front of them and let them reach their own conclusions.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, the more outrageous the claim, the higher up the list it should go.

I'd add: and the more widely subscribed.

For instance, I'd love Amir to do a series on purported "break in." Both for some electronics and for speakers. It's astounding how widely believed the break in stuff is among audiophiles.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Changed my vote to Home Theater Processors from DSP, because there is a dearth of good products in that category. Seems like everything has compromises, and until there's an excellent product I don't want to change from my DP564 ($250 used,) to a $10,000+ item with issues.

LuminousMoth

Actually I would really like to see Microphones, the FR is usually available but I would love to see some distortion graphs, directivity and more.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Actually I would really like to see Microphones, the FR is usually available but I would love to see some distortion graphs, directivity and more.
I have looked into it and it is not easy without an anechoic chamber.

LuminousMoth

I have looked into it and it is not easy without an anechoic chamber.
Yeah I thought as much, but it would give a very good insight and help debunk some 'higher end' mics. plus is not done anywhere else (as far as i know).

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How about testing some subs? They're an important part of audio right, it seems that not testing subs is the biggest hole here on ASR.

sofrep811

Rega gear: DAC, Amp, Turntables, Speakers, and CD Players.

I've always been interested in how they all work together as one system. Likely too difficult.

dachada

I would like to see pro PCM/DSD digital recorder tested. like the discontinued Tascam DA-3000 or Korg mr-2000. these have headphone output also and i wonder how good they are

strom

I like to get a gauge of what categories of products I should be testing more (electronics only). So please vote.

As usual, I won't necessarily listen to you all. :D But like to have the data anyway.

If you are a visitor and not a member, this is your opportunity to join and have your voice heard.

You can vote for more than one product but please be selective.
I think reviews of electrostatic energizers should be done. Is there really a difference between solid state and tubes? There's Mjolnir, Blue Hawaii, Gilmore, Stax. What is hype/marketing or essential good sound? The fact that there seems to be a resurgence of electrostatic headphones indicates that I would really like to know the best return on investment for Estat energizers. I'm grateful to this site for clearing up a lot of issues. My setup is Stax 009 connected to Stax 323S energizer via USB to the Topping D90 SE DAC. From what I've read, the 009s are very amp dependent. Am I missing out on anything by not getting a different energizer? Amir separates the wheat from the chaff, so to speak, so I'm hoping he might do in a more in depth review of Estat energizers. By the way, I love my current system.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Amir I think you should make a video on this topic::)

Edit:
Kinda confusing to me, but answers are popping up in that thread. But with that said, why not a video about it?:)

asc

like to test vintage
mostly speaker vintage , want to know harmonic distortion

Top Bottom