• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What electronic audio products you want tested most

What electronics audio product you like to see tested more

• Power and Integrated Amplifiers

Votes: 632 55.2%
  • Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 181 15.8%
  • Home Theater AVRs

Votes: 307 26.8%
  • Home Theater Processors

Votes: 199 17.4%
  • DACs

Votes: 349 30.5%
  • Streamers

Votes: 262 22.9%
  • Combo DAC and Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 235 20.5%
  • Phono preamp

Votes: 106 9.3%
  • DSP (digital signal processors)

Votes: 378 33.0%
  • Vintage audio products

Votes: 268 23.4%

• Total voters

Hapo

...I am interested seeing small form computers tested as audio streaming and playback devices...

...I have acquired an Intel NUC 11 and I can't hear any difference between it, a Chromebook, or the MeLE Quieter 2 playing through a Schitt Modi 3+...I was hoping for smoother video rendering than the MeLE or Chromebook but probably should have just gotten another MeLE...

...I would be interested in seeing how some of those inexpensive optical drives test out too...

...I am using a Roofull USB powered optical drive as a CD player with satisfactory results, and whilst I can most certainly appreciate why someone would want something nicer, how do such devises actually measure...???...

...once playing I am not hearing anything but the same music when comparing it to a highly vaunted $600 CD transport...

...I have proven that I cannot tell the difference between a good DAC and a poorly implemented one so there is that...

jamescarter1982

I like to get a gauge of what categories of products I should be testing more (electronics only). So please vote.

As usual, I won't necessarily listen to you all. :D But like to have the data anyway.

If you are a visitor and not a member, this is your opportunity to join and have your voice heard.

You can vote for more than one product but please be selective.
dsps with more than one digital output so we can make digital electronic crossovers

maxxevv

Major Contributor
dsps with more than one digital output so we can make digital electronic crossovers
Somebody has already done that with software and the Okto 8 DAC.
There is a long thread on ASR detailing how he went about doing it.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Why not try some different media players? It would have been really interesting to see those results. Preferably on different hardware (different tablets, mobiles).:)

Attachments

• shot_2022-03-26_06-19-49.png
    shot_2022-03-26_06-19-49.png
    351.1 KB · Views: 70

jamescarter1982

Somebody has already done that with software and the Okto 8 DAC.
There is a long thread on ASR detailing how he went about doing it.
Well I've been doing it with a pioneer vsa ax10 and optical from a laptop but a hardware solution would make it more usable for the rest of the family

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

Sanlitun

Curious about how some of the products from the start of the headphone scene a few years back would measure.

- The original Matrix X-Sabre. The ES9018 one with the heavy CNC case.

- Questyle CMA 800R amp. This is still my go to amp after all of these years.

- Sony TA-ZH1ES. Does all of that engineering translate to measurements?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious about how some of the products from the start of the headphone scene a few years back would measure.

- The original Matrix X-Sabre. The ES9018 one with the heavy CNC case.

- Questyle CMA 800R amp. This is still my go to amp after all of these years.

- Sony TA-ZH1ES. Does all of that engineering translate to measurements?
If you want to go that far then we could get into Xin Feng amps and all that headroom stuff. Ray Samuels etc.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Generally interested in finding out if there is a modern AVR that measures well...and doesn't cost an arm and a leg like Denon 4700

GMan

I loved the comparison review between the original B&W 705 speakers (which I own) and the “updated” 705’s. Was pleased with the results showing the “vintage“ product performed well. Would like to see more of these type of comparisons involving vintage electronics and speakers.

Reactions: EJ3

Bleib

Major Contributor
Addendum. If they are sold in USA and the price is not too high I'd like to read a test on Dynavoice DM-6 (loudspeakers)

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
- Some vintage Quad amps (405, 606, 909)
- Fiio Ka3 dongle and K9 Pro ESS Dac/Headphone amp
- Ultra expensive stuff (Weiss, dCS, MSB, mbl...)
- Although not in the right thread: Harbeth HL Super 5 XD & Quad ESL 64 electrostatic loudspeaker

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 47224

Generally I would love to see more vintage amplifiers (integrated or power) or recent equipment from less reviewed brands here (Arcam SA20, Nuprime IDA9 or MCX series, or even Elac DS A101 or alchemy series)

But recently I would be very interested in this one : https://www.cornered.dk/amplifiers . Its more a pro amplifier but with DSP and a software too. Unfortunately no dealer in USA, one in Canada. Maybe the company could be interested in sending a unit ?

I know there's another thread for suggestion but I can't find it, sorry.

Sokel

Master Contributor
The ones I don't see in the list is analog active crossovers,preferably ones with good specs not the ordinary professional that just get the job done.
(sorry if others suggested too,the thread is big!)

Reactions: EJ3
Top Bottom