• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What electronic audio products you want tested most

What electronics audio product you like to see tested more

• Power and Integrated Amplifiers

Votes: 633 55.2%
  • Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 181 15.8%
  • Home Theater AVRs

Votes: 307 26.8%
  • Home Theater Processors

Votes: 199 17.3%
  • DACs

Votes: 349 30.4%
  • Streamers

Votes: 262 22.8%
  • Combo DAC and Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 236 20.6%
  • Phono preamp

Votes: 106 9.2%
  • DSP (digital signal processors)

Votes: 379 33.0%
  • Vintage audio products

Votes: 269 23.5%

• Total voters

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, so it is obviously a culture thing between the USA and UK/EU.
Yet another big difference but one I was unaware of.
If someone has access to international sales figures it would presumably clear it up. I could speculate about house sizes, or room size at least bring a driving factor.

rodtor

Forum Donor
Wow, so it is obviously a culture thing between the USA and UK/EU.
Yet another big difference but one I was unaware of.
I'm not sure the intercontinental difference is that dramatic. There are many in North America who are music lovers, and therefore use stereo equipment, but watch TV much less often. That's certainly true for me. I'm more likely to go out to see a film, which is likely to be a documentary or 'foreign', ie. not American, and certainly not an action movie with especially noteworthy sound effects.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Interesting. Personally I have no interest in AVRs at all and don't know anybody else who is either, or afaik know anybody who has one!
I think there might be an American view that they are common, I could be wrong. Like you I don't remember ever being in someone's house who had one.
You don't know what your missing if you haven't heard a great multichannel MUSIC system. ;)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't know what your missing if you haven't heard a great multichannel MUSIC system. ;)
I have tried surround music a few years ago and have rear speakers for watching films and so still can play SACDs through them (I use my main speakers for the front) but am not sufficiently impressed to put up with the wires or expense of doing it properly for the gain I perceive.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know of only one single recording I like that is in multi-channel, I'm sure there a few more if I really looked, but not many. With no content there is no point.
It is the obvious area for the music industry to have gone when physical media was king, MCH releases of all the big selling pop/rock albums, which seem simple to do with multi-track recordings, and a whole new revenue stream opens up for them. Now with streaming it seems like more work for no extra money, it would probably take someone like Apple to get their earbuds to support it, then they would force the industry to produce content, and apple could sell more home-pods.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I know of only one single recording I like that is in multi-channel, I'm sure there a few more if I really looked, but not many.
Humm, your music tastes must be very narrow, I believe your just not aware of what's actually available. My taste it to rock/blues/country and there is plenty in each. IIRC Member @Fitzcaraldo215 speaks of having a multich classical library numbering in the thousands. You might want to follow or scan this thread to get a sampling of whats available.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-surround-music-formats/2616673-listening-now-surround.html
Beyond that upsampling offers a whole new world of listening enjoyment for your stereo library. No less than the audio luminary Floyd Toole talks of using multich upsampling for the majority of his stereo listening.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...standards-setup-thoughts-etc.3295/post-236411

Reactions: SMc

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Humm, your music tastes must be very narrow, I believe your just not aware of what's actually available. My taste it to rock/blues/country and there is plenty in each. IIRC Member @Fitzcaraldo215 speaks of having a multich classical library numbering in the thousands. You might want to follow or scan this thread to get a sampling of whats available.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-surround-music-formats/2616673-listening-now-surround.html
Beyond that upsampling offers a whole new world of listening enjoyment for your stereo library. No less than the audio luminary Floyd Toole talks of using multich upsampling for the majority of his stereo listening.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...standards-setup-thoughts-etc.3295/post-236411
It's there a more efficient way to search than a massive thread? My tastes are broad, but rarely commercial, and from a quick skim of a page of that thread more recent than the target demographic being catered for, but likely not for long, as I'm ten years past the shock of seeing 20 anniversary reissues of records I remember coming out.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My vote for DACs is really for multichannel DACs/interfaces. @somebodyelse explained why:
On a related note I'd like to see more multichannel DACs tested, with or without DSP. The choice is somewhat limited for those looking to do active crossovers.

With how cheap consumer electronics have become, you'd think $500 could buy a decent 8-channel DAC with USB & AES67 in 2019. The cheap pro interfaces all seem to include a lot of extra-cost features & half-developed gotchas. Feels like a market fail, because you can sell the same DAC for surround with non-DSP speakers, too. </grumble>

I would like you to take a look at some of the Chinese amplifiers. I recently purchased a Topping D50S DAC, my first Chinese component, and would never have done that before I discovered this forum. Ebay is full of things like Quad amplifier copies at attractive prices, the question is: are they any good. At a more advanced level there appears to be a genuine Chinese high end equipment market, at least I see them offering things like 4 figure turntables. But once again, without some expert evaluation and guidance... Thanks for your work!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@WolfX-700 can you also test class AB amplifiers from Chinese brands like Xindak, AudioGd, Yaqin?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I'm also very interested in that. Not AudioGD because that is likely trash, but other brands might be interesting. Think Jungson, Dussun, Shanling also. Nothing with tubes though, its 2019 :D.

JustPoo

I'm always seeing all manner of audio stuff on Chinese sites but have never taken a punt because there's just no information available. Members of my family in Hong Kong are into hi-fi but it's more money than I'd ever spend. I'd still be interested to see exactly how Chinese higher end components perform, rather than the usual Western suspects.

Whilst Western brands are prized, hi-fi being no different, there's a thriving home audio culture there and in mainland China at all price levels, where you'll see no western or Japanese brands at all, it's all proudly Chinese. It'd be good to see some "off-brand" Chinese products all the way to luxury devices tested, I'm sure there's plenty of undiscovered gems. It'd take a far keener eye than mine to see which ones are worth trying though.

As for this AVR thing, I'm in the UK and apart from the few friends/family who share my passion or I've pushed and setup with home cinema/hi-fi systems, it isn't common to see AVR's or even proper two channel any more. I'm just guessing but from what I've seen they're both on the decline in favour of sound bars and all in one music systems. Maybe a smart speaker or an all in one bookshelf system is the best you'll get. It's probably telling that if you buy a telly you're not going to be upsold an AVR, or a system in a box, it's always a sound bar.

Smaller houses and just how close neighbours are have probably influenced that. I mean this is large detached bungalow but I'm still wary of cranking my system in the evening, at least with the subs on, because I know for a fact the neighbours will hear it. When I'm in the Highlands I push it more, but I still can't crank it as much as I'd like. I'm not pissing off a Highland cow. Or its owner. Convenience/consideration for cows has won out.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As for this AVR thing, I'm in the UK and apart from the few friends/family who share my passion or I've pushed and setup with home cinema/hi-fi systems, it isn't common to see AVR's or even proper two channel any more. I'm just guessing but from what I've seen they're both on the decline in favour of sound bars and all in one music systems. Maybe a smart speaker or an all in one bookshelf system is the best you'll get. It's probably telling that if you buy a telly you're not going to be upsold an AVR, or a system in a box, it's always a sound bar.
I don't know how much of a continental divide thing it really is.
Everything you just said is true in my circles here in the US. I don't know of any family and only have one friend outside of my internet aquantiances that own any kind of hifi. Back in the 70-80s you weren't kool unless you displayed a nice stereo in the living-room, those days are long gone.. Most everyone I know today that actually plays music do so with "hey Google/Alexia, play me some X". The ones that think they have hot TV sound do so with a sound bar. :(
BTW Last I seen of Amir's "where are you from" the Euro members here outnumbered the US,
Can't seem to find it now?

lasta

By the looks of it, we want EVERY type of electronic audio product tested haha.

digicidal

Major Contributor
@Frank Dernie & @JustPoo I think it likely has much more to do with my specific area, and the type of people from which friends and family come from... I wouldn't necessarily read more into it than that. No one in my family and very few of my friends are even that "into music" in general - and fewer still play an instrument or sing regularly. They do watch a ton of TV and movies however. :rolleyes:

However, it is still quite surprising to me how even those that do (play or at least enjoy listening to) music - many still seem daunted by the idea of setting up a system for listening to it at home... especially a more advanced one. I have what I consider to be a very conservative CD collection (~800) but it's about 20 time larger than most. When I was young, my parents considered a second hand Panasonic all-in-one turntable integrated to be an "extravagant expenditure" to listen to their 5 LPs (all choir music). :(

Luckily, one of my friend's father had a killer setup with McIntosh gear driving Klipschorns... we really didn't get along that well - but I put up with almost anything to get a chance to hear that setup occasionally. As soon as I could, I was working toward buying my own (cheaper naturally) gear... only the specific components (and income, thankfully) have changed in the past 35 years - the purpose has not!

That's why I love being able to meet people that "get it" online - in forums like these. ;)

Koeitje

Major Contributor

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
One way to look at this is to see which categories are under-represented in the budget range. If I recall correctly, the only solid value integrated amplifier reviewed here is the Klipsch PowerGate (only because it's priced to clear). I would suggest this category deserves more attention. There's got to be more value out there.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom