• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What electronic audio products you want tested most

What electronics audio product you like to see tested more

• Power and Integrated Amplifiers

Votes: 633 55.2%
  • Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 181 15.8%
  • Home Theater AVRs

Votes: 307 26.8%
  • Home Theater Processors

Votes: 199 17.3%
  • DACs

Votes: 349 30.4%
  • Streamers

Votes: 262 22.8%
  • Combo DAC and Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 236 20.6%
  • Phono preamp

Votes: 106 9.2%
  • DSP (digital signal processors)

Votes: 379 33.0%
  • Vintage audio products

Votes: 269 23.5%

• Total voters

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"What electronic audio products do you want tested most?"

Mine, if and when they should suddenly exhibit aberrant behavior.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BBE 282iX Desktop Sonic Maximizer

I see they have an XLR version as well. Has anyone tried one of these things? All the reviews are just personal opinion so it's hard to judge. I'm assuming if they were really amazing, everyone would be making one.

Wendigo79

ADC:s and optical switches. Those are things that the industry seems to have a neglect on. So some one should make a in debth survey on them. In ASR-style

TimF

Forum Donor
I am interested in seeing an assessment of the performance of the Ayre V-5 amplifier. It isn't a class D amp so we could say it is pre-Class D design. I think it's design is more conventional than the Benchmark AHB2. There were a number of versions or developmental steps of the V-5, I think.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bluetooth earbuds and speakers.

I'd like to know that I'm getting reasonably good fidelity when I cue up Qobuz on the golf cart.

simplywyn

I want every day devices tested, things that everyone has:

AppleTV 4K
A variety of Sony/SamsungTVs

That'll be super useful since a vast majority of people have these

stringham

Less vintage stuff, unless there's some reason to suspect it will measure decently even by today's standards, or if it's off historical interest.

NotTheDroid

Bryston amps — I'm super curious how they measure up against the Hypex stuff.

The classics against which so many things are compared: Rogers LS3/5a, JBL L100, Quad ESL 57, Vendersteen 2c series, Magnepans, etc. It would be super interesting to see how much they were a benchmark and how much of the love for them is mostly nostalgia.

Also any audiophile-internet-hype-of-the-moment stuff: Ascend Sierra, Tekton, etc. Really mostly because it's fun to see the new overhyped stuff torn apart (and to discover which ones really are giant killers).

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious about how some of the products from the start of the headphone scene a few years back would measure.
- Sony TA-ZH1ES. Does all of that engineering translate to measurements?

Probably the world's best channel level matching.... has as much distortion as a 300B tube amp... still "transparent" using PK Metric null testing against the original digital file. Very interesting product for sure. All of that engineering creates a real paradox. Is it bad because it has a lot of distortion or great because it is audibly transparent? Maybe both!

subframe

Fiio Q3. Does it match the performance of the BTR7, sans Bluetooth? There’s a weird pricing gap in Fiio’s non-BT amps - above the Q3 but below the Q5. Does the Q3 simply fill that gap?

Probably already "requested", but the Beolab 90 would be the peak of my audio-related interests
beolab-90-sound.jpg

(image borrowed from https://www.lydogbillede.dk/test/hojttalere/bang-olufsen-beolab-90/)

Audioquest

Line level dedicated preamplifiers (missing from vote list), tube and SS. The choice is as broad as the horizon, and they can sound so different. Also, actual listening experience, with listed associated equipment and source material, to confirm/reject how measurements affect what we actually hear from a product which can differ wildly.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I like when Amir reviews the tweakier/controversial stuff. There's only so many hi-fi products he can review that might be of interest to someone, but I think the "take downs" of the audiophile shibboleths have the greatest impact - e.g. his reviews of the P.S. audio products, USB cables/AC cables. That's been eye-opening and informative to so many people, and has clearly rippled through the community in ways yet another DAC review does not.

So along those lines: If I had to pick I'd love Amir to review some Shunyata Research gear, probably AC cables. Shunyata has convinced a lot of people they are a "serious" manufacturer with all sorts of technical know-how and even measurements behind their gear - it is Shunyata 'Research' after all :).

So that would be very interesting for Amir to investigate.

Unfortunately since reviews depend on people sending things to Amir, it's unlikely anyone attracted to ASR has such cables to send.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love Amir to review some Shunyata Research gear, probably AC cables. Shunyata has convinced a lot of people they are a "serious" manufacturer with all sorts of technical know-how and even measurements behind their gear - it is Shunyata 'Research' after all :)

That would be very interesting. There are definitely places with in home trials, but my understanding is that @amirm is so backlogged already that it would be hard to time a test within these small windows of time. The concept of grounding is really important, and Shunyata takes that and runs with it and sells sky high priced grounding systems.

The one thing that Shunyata does do is get UL certification for some of their components. I think this is just the $5 arc suppression part though.

Highest priority is definitely testing AVRs. The product cycles aren’t as fast at this point in time in my opinion.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ADC:s and optical switches. Those are things that the industry seems to have a neglect on. So some one should make a in debth survey on them. In ASR-style
A/D I agree! :D
So much advancement in state-of-the-art playback DAC, but what is the INPUT like? How much dynamic range can recordings actually have?

Top Bottom