• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Dongle DACs can operate in line out mode?

Illtrick

It looks like it’s going to be a bit before the 9038D makes its way to market so I’m looking for an alternative that’s available now. Main requirement is that it’s USB powered and can operate in a line/pre-out mode. The less bells and whistles the better. I’m going to use this between my PC and L30.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All of USB DAC dongles operate in lineout mode (-0 dBFS in digital volume) when fed with an input that has a very high resistive load such as an amp

BillG

Major Contributor
I'm using an Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle into the preamp section of my integrated without a problem. I run it at 100% volume, and it doesn't clip. :)

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When is 9038D going to come out? Also is the performance same as 9038S or different?

OP
Illtrick

Illtrick

I'm using an Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle into the preamp section of my integrated without a problem. I run it at 100% volume, and it doesn't clip. :)
This is a good suggestion. $9 is a cheap experiment.

OP
Illtrick

Illtrick

When is 9038D going to come out? Also is the performance same as 9038S or different?
It’s still under development, trying to solve LTE interference issues. That translates to me (just my educated guess) to a minimum of 4 months if everything went well and 6 months more realistically for low scale production.
I’m not the one to ask about performance differences, the key features to me was that it can be set to “fixed” volume mode and is single ended, not balanced like the 9038S.

Zek

Major Contributor
@Illtrick If you have DSD files, than look at TempoTec Sonata HD Pro dongle.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
All of USB DAC dongles operate in lineout mode (-0 dBFS in digital volume) when fed with an input that has a very high resistive load such as an amp

The more important question is which dongles output 2v when at 0dBFS- there are still plenty out there that top out at 1 or 1.5v. If you were to use as a like for like substitute for a "standard" desktop RCA outputting DAC.

shot4d

I have a question.
I have ordered the S.M.S.L SP 200 amplifier from Amazon at a good price and I just need a good dac that supports native MQA and DSD, but they are expensive and I only have 90 dollars, so I decided to buy a dac dongle and bought the Linsoul Audirect Atom2 MQA, and what i want to do is connect atom2 as a dac to computer and connect smsl sp200 amp with rca to 3.5mm cable to atom2 dac dongle, because i need more amplification for my headphones.
My question is if this smsl sp200 amp connection to Atom2 dac dongle with the rca to 3.5mm cable could work? Would the audio quality be affected?

Top Bottom