• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Dolby Format is This? (Dolby DP564) Youtube Surround Sound

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
YouTube normally doesn't present a Dolby stream to do surround sound, except with this trailer:

(Sorry, can't find anything more "appropriate" to share with the correct encoding.)

Bottom encoding sends sound to my surround speakers, top is typical of every other youtube video and surround sound test.

What is the bottom encoding? I wish all YouTube videos were like that.

Screenshot_20210724-184234_Photos.png

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Dolby Digital is usually AC3 (standard for DVDs).

Feyire

YouTube normally doesn't present a Dolby stream to do surround sound, except with this trailer.
Unfortunately, it looks like the video you referenced has been disabled or removed? I get a "Video unavailable" message from YouTube.

Bottom encoding sends sound to my surround speakers
As @DVDdoug points out, Dolby Digital is a common name used for the AC-3 digital audio compression format, which is the audio format of that video, as shown to you by your decoder (Dolby Digital has the blue light on). This audio format supports up to six discrete channels of sound (i.e. 5.1). In your case, the decoder is displaying "3/2L", meaning that the source audio it is decoding contains three frontal channels (Left, Center, Right) with two rear channels, and a low-frequency effects (LFE) channel for deep bass.

What is the bottom encoding? I wish all YouTube videos were like that.
Just the standard PCM audio format, on YouTube this is most commonly found with 2 channels (i.e. stereo).

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just the standard PCM audio format, on YouTube this is most commonly found with 2 channels (i.e. stereo).

The top one is two channel PCM. The display changes when it goes to surround sound, and I've checked it again today and it's not using the pro logic surround "upconverting."

Top Bottom