• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What does your cats eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Magic, as had over 40 pizzas.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Cat food,I can leave human food all over the house cat won't touch it,now if I had a dog that's a different question.

There is a reason that companies produce specific foods for cats and dogs. If you want your pet to last awhile, give them those types of foods. Not pizza!

mansr

Major Contributor
There is a reason that companies produce specific foods for cats and dogs. If you want your pet to last awhile, give them those types of foods. Not pizza!
A lot of what is sold as cat food is actually not that great for them, having far too much carbohydrates. Cats eat meat, exclusively. Do them a favour and choose grain-free cat food. Needless to say, pizza is not suitable.

liquidman101

My cats love bread and toast (when they can steal it) - I'm thinking we might be underfeeding them. Just kidding - but they are certainly not overfed. We have mostly rescue cats so it's a twice daily feeding with maybe a snack in between (some cheese or a cat treat). We feed very good quality dry food in the morning and Aldi wet food at night. Our cats are all indoors, desexed and vaccinated. We have too many now so we find homes through rescue agencies for any strays that need a home. Please, get your cat desexed. Oh, goes without saying - no ribbon speakers for me.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure salty human food is any good for them.
100% sure it's not.

There is a reason that companies produce specific foods for cats and dogs.
Yep, but vast majority of them are crap. I give mine mostly potatoes/grain-free dry food, with a high percentage of meat. Quality brands come to mind: Farmina, Carnilove, Purizon.
Along with raw meat: mostly chicken, turkey, duck. Salmon, rarely (or it getting quite expensive).

Last edited:

Jimshoe

Cats are obligate carnivores. Sugar, wheat, dairy and salt are not good for them - promoting skin problems, tooth decay, gum problems and urinary issues (particularly in males).

As above, an awful lot of cat food is total junk - marketed to the owners and full of things (above) cats will eat and the get habituated to.

Seek out foods that are based on lean meat 60%+ (not 'meat meal' or 'animal derivatives') and have no sugar, salt or grains added. Applaws, AAtu and Purizon are three brands worth looking at.

Also, don't feed cats exclusively dried food - particularly males. This can cause potentially fatal urinary blockages (caused by crystals forming their urine) that may see your pet to a nasty painful death.

Many humans are stupid and self-indulgent and have little self control to avoid eating junk. Don't put this on your pets too!

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
an awful lot of cat food is total junk

The cat might take revenge..

60256c8237640.jpeg

dmac6419

Major Contributor
100% sure it's not.

Yep, but vast majority of them are crap. I give mine mostly potatoes/grain-free dry food, with a high percentage of meat. Quality brands come to mind: Farmina, Carnilove, Purizon.
Along with raw meat: mostly chicken, turkey, duck. Salmon, rarely (or it getting quite expensive).
My cat won't touch salmon or tuna and I gets it for free what am I doing wrong? She'll eat Kani sticks (fake crab meat) though.

Loathecliff

My cat won't touch salmon or tuna and I gets it for free what am I doing wrong?

Giving it a choice? :)

The surviving resident cat here eats most things it murders.

We get reminded every morning that it's time to feed bread to the fish.
(NB The cat's press release insists this has nothing with the his love of bread :rolleyes:)

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Are these both "raw"? If tuna is mixed with oil, or salmon is smoked, it won't work, IMHO.

Whatever: cats are like us and have different tastes...
Raw straight from the carcus i tried steaming it,doesn't work, I'll try raw again just leave it out,I transport fish,sushi species from all around the World This is top grade stuff

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Cats need wet food. Feeding your cat dry food will eventually lead to Kidney failure and premature death. They should tell you this. Ask any Vet this question directly. Cats in the wild eat raw wet meat. They absorb a large portion of their water intake requirements via their wet food.

Jimshoe

Cats need wet food. Feeding your cat dry food will eventually lead to Kidney failure and premature death. They should tell you this. Ask any Vet this question directly. Cats in the wild eat raw wet meat. They absorb a large portion of their water intake requirements via their wet food.
+1 to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom