• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What does Trinnov do that others don’t?

OP
T

tknx

Damn. I left this thread for a while and it seemed like it got kind of toxic here. Maybe I am misreading intent. But there is stupid financial flexing and lots of attitude in the thread.

Just close and lock this thread out. I really wanted to understand what the special sauce of Trinnov was from a processing perspective that couldn’t be done elsewhere. I think I got that.

Andysu

Major Contributor
trinnov can't do dolby a-type or dolby sr on some believe it or not some noisy hiss and hum noise on some older movies on 4k , oh yeah there is magnetic track hum and hiss if know how to look for it ? at least i can use a-type or sr on the CP200 something a trinnov ain't got and don't care for 32 channels , my CB radio can do 200 + channels . yes i will compare CB radio with a trinnov . i get more excitement with CB than even my denon avc-x8500h and it is down to atmos rubbish content where most times those discrete overheads are going to be mute for content out of whole running time with only few mins ? isn't worth buying a trinnov 32 . by the way, enjoy that hiss and hum on older movies .

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn. I left this thread for a while and it seemed like it got kind of toxic here. Maybe I am misreading intent. But there is stupid financial flexing and lots of attitude in the thread.

Just close and lock this thread out. I really wanted to understand what the special sauce of Trinnov was from a processing perspective that couldn’t be done elsewhere. I think I got that.
It is , matter of opinion. From what I read there are a lot of useful posts. If you choose to close the thread .. Well.. Yeah! but I'd advise to read again.. and that too :

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

Peace

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Just tune posters like this out or put them on ignore. I assure you this thread has actually been very civil and informative by the standards of ASR so far.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A minor clarification to that is that Apple Music on a Mac does output spatial audio to 5.1.2. Nothing else (e.g., VLC, QuickTime player, etc) works though. (I have Mac-> via USB -> 8-channel DAC -> 7 speakers + sub.)
Are you certain? I never heard about this.

mkt

mkt

So you get a 7.1 stream? Simply by connecting an 8-channel DAC?
Nope. 5.1.2. If I put audio midi setup to 7.1, I only get 5.1. Apple loves atmos. And only Apple Music works this way.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have read the reviews but really when it comes down to it, what is it about Trinnov that is so much better than Dirac or Audyssey?
Another thread I found to be interesting on the JBL SDP-75 which is a variant of the Altitute32 I believe.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Usually we cannot have nice things but Audio MIDI Setup is nice, and in the new macOS it has atmos. I wonder if it does higher channel counts (i.e., for an audio interface), but I don't have anything with more channels. Still given the size of this niche audience, it seems like a gift.
View attachment 191047
PS. My "heights" are still sitting on floor. One thing at a time.
Thanks for posting this. I had checked Audio MIDI Setup a while back (shortly after acquiring a multi-channel DAC) and the Atmos option wasn't there (yet). I guess Apple snuck in an update. Figured I'd made a rookie mistake, but all I needed was some patience.

Edit: yep, there it is. No need for an AVR/processor for 5.1.2 at least. Huzzah.
Another edit: you mention "only Apple Music" but have you tried from Apple's TV.app on macOS (as opposed to the AppleTV hardware)?

Last edited:
Reactions: mkt

mkt

Thanks for posting this. I had checked Audio MIDI Setup a while back (shortly after acquiring a multi-channel DAC) and the Atmos option wasn't there (yet). I guess Apple snuck in an update. Figured I'd made a rookie mistake, but all I needed was some patience.

Edit: yep, there it is. No need for an AVR/processor for 5.1.2 at least. Huzzah.
Another edit: you mention "only Apple Music" but have you tried from Apple's TV.app on macOS (as opposed to the AppleTV hardware)?
Atmos seems to work in the Apple TV app too for streaming content. Did not seem to work for local files.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Usually we cannot have nice things but Audio MIDI Setup is nice, and in the new macOS it has atmos. I wonder if it does higher channel counts (i.e., for an audio interface), but I don't have anything with more channels. Still given the size of this niche audience, it seems like a gift.
View attachment 191047
PS. My "heights" are still sitting on floor. One thing at a time.

With room correction, you need to put in the exact positions of your loudspeakers as made during the recording/mixing.
AVRs have corrections to match the actual loudspeaker positions to the expected ones

mkt

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
But needs an AVR.
For local files @mkt reckons you would. For Atmos streaming content via the Music and TV app, no. Just a multi-channel DAC (or aggregate of stereo DACs). For Atmos streaming content via Safari, maybe, I'm not sure.

Edit: ahhh ninja'd

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Nope
EDIT As @Axo1989 says not for streaming, yes for local files
How can you plug 5.1.4 loudspeakers on an apple tv without an AVR ?
Apple TV output 5.1 lpcm + dolby mat. So with an HDMI extractor you will get 5.1 only.
So you need an AVR to process that Dolby mat to create the Atmos channels.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
How can you plug 5.1.4 loudspeakers on an apple tv without an AVR ?
Apple TV output 5.1 lpcm + dolby mat. So with an HDMI extractor you will get 5.1 only.
So you need an AVR to process that Dolby mat to create the Atmos channels.
The post you originally quoted refers to TV.app (and Music.app originally ... @mkt was responding to my question) on macOS, not the AppleTV hardware device. CoreAudio on macOS will decode Atmos content from those apps up to 7.1.4 and send it to multi-channel DAC (or a stack of stereo DACs). The feature was added fairly recently. It may do so for Atmos content via Safari, but I haven't checked whether that's a thing.

Here's a screenshot:
Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 8.07.04 am.png

Last edited:

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
The post you originally quoted refers to TV.app (and Music.app originally ... @mkt was responding to my question) on macOS, not the AppleTV hardware device. CoreAudio on macOS will decode Atmos content from those apps up to 7.1.4 and send it to multi-channel DAC (or a stack of stereo DACs). The feature was added fairly recently. It may do so for Atmos content via Safari, but I haven't checked whether that's a thing.

Here's a screenshot:
View attachment 196934
Ok I understood apple tv hardware.

So it works for apple music and apple tv only ? No Netflix, Disney plus or mkv ?

What about room correction and speaker distance adjustments ? An AVR is doing this mapping too.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

So it works for apple music and apple tv only ? No Netflix, Disney plus or mkv ?

What about room correction and speaker distance adjustments ? An AVR is doing this mapping too.
I'm not sure if it works for third-party apps or web apps as I haven't checked since the feature (with support for configuring Atmos output via Audio Midi Setup) was added. I expect TV channels subscribed via TV.app would work.

For others, Apple would need to make available the API and developers would have to implement for their apps. As mentioned, I'm not sure about Safari (which is how I view Netflix and Prime normally). Any limitation is basically a function of Dolby licensing, CoreAudio is otherwise system-wide

Edit: I've only acquired a multi-channel DAC recently, and haven't set up amp and speakers beyond stereo yet. I run Sonarworks (which is system-wide) on macOS but that's stereo-only, for multi-channel I'd have to run Dirac standalone on the OS (if it agrees with Atmos, not sure). There are more tweaky options probably.

Last edited:

mkt

I have not gotten atmos to work in safari. I use GLM for room correction etc. Desktop atmos w/o an AVR is admittedly a weird use case.

Top Bottom