• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What does this button do?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
21772FEE-D0EA-490F-968C-23508B9FF0D1.jpeg

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Turns "bbcode" on. Was a way to markup things on the good old UBB (universal bulletin board) which was the major player in BB at the time (circa 2000). Has advantages...

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, thanks!

I used bulletin boards back in the early 90s but had not realised they had continued into the 2000s, and am shocked that a vestige of them remains in my favourite internet forum in 2019 :)

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, thanks!

I used bulletin boards back in the early 90s but had not realised they had continued into the 2000s, and am shocked that a vestige of them remains in my favourite internet forum in 2019 :)

The older I become, the more I think that current young guys haven't invented anything, they are just standing on the shoulders of very tall giants ;) ;).

Checked my archive and, apparently, 1999 was the year I surrendered my own awful spaghetti code to the evil of business.

1555938647452.png

UBB finally collapsed under its own weight too, it was an even bigger plate of insecure pasta. Fond memories of that era still, it must be why I still like passive speakers.

Katji

Major Contributor
Interesting, thanks!

[Sorry about the 'necro' of an old post but I saw it in google search results images and I wondered why there was a Settings icon in the editor...]

It's more than a vestige, if you use bold, italics, font, or image links buttons and then click the BBcode button - which is now [ ] brackets icon...

1654264025307.png

...you'll see the BBcode...

1654264285588.png

If you're typing, it's sometimes easier to just type the BBcode instead of moving your hand to the mouse. :)

But XenForo, with this default/standard setup, does not support the superscript/subscript codes. :rolleyes: Apparently it needs to use css.extra or something.
x[sup]2[/sup]

Bulletin boards...I had some BB program that was so nice, I miss it. :) No way I could remember what it was. It was more fun than usenet...

Top Bottom