• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What does jitter ACTUALLY sound like? (jitter test tracks)

asp_digital

This is the jitter at the output. The one you might see in all the J-Test measurements on this site. This is also the jitter that an AP would measure in the digital domain. This is what DISTORT let's (sic) you apply, see and hear: jitter at the output. This is the only way to correlate what is measured here to what one might hear. Almost nobody has the equipment to measure jitter at the clock. Nearly everyone has the ability to measure jitter at the output of a DAC or an ADC.
I understand, but my point is that the only clock in a sigma-delta converter is the modulator, and I agree that measuring jitter on that clock requires tools most people don't have. So when people talk about "clock jitter," we need to be clear that we are talking about the modulator clock. Too many people think that their jitter problems can be solved by applying an external word clock.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand, but my point is that the only clock in a sigma-delta converter is the modulator, and I agree that measuring jitter on that clock requires tools most people don't have. So when people talk about "clock jitter," we need to be clear that we are talking about the modulator clock. Too many people think that their jitter problems can be solved by applying an external word clock.

Yeah, external clock to reduce jitter is a seriously bad idea. What I find fascinating is that an external clock is also suggested as a solution to (audible!) jitter in the audiophile ethernet transmission. There's a decent size following of products and manufacturers that sell expensive audiophile ethernet switches... with the ability to feed them with very expensive, external clocks. Go figure!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nearly all the "issues " with digital audio are attempting to create demands and differentiation for things that have never been broken in the first place.
(albeit, from his point of view, a solved one in his own DACs).
I think you have just backed up what @Blumllien said.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When we are talking about jitter in digital audio we are almost exclusively talking about jitter in the sample rate - or more accurately in the rate samples are converted to audio.

Not the physical clock in the modulator.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah, external clock to reduce jitter is a seriously bad idea. What I find fascinating is that an external clock is also suggested as a solution to (audible!) jitter in the audiophile ethernet transmission. There's a decent size following of products and manufacturers that sell expensive audiophile ethernet switches... with the ability to feed them with very expensive, external clocks. Go figure!

What is more incredible is the counterargument which is basically boiled down to "scams becomes less likely when the asking amount goes up".

Top Bottom