• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What does it take to succesfully transition to a green energy economy?

Dismayed

Many scientists and manufacturers are not on board (Toyota and Porsche amoung others) and there are MANY open questions. Government central planners, which have jumped on the "electricity for everything" bandwagon, have historically been the worst possible way to make decisions about picking new technologies and there is no reason to believe it will be different this time.
The US government funded rural electrification that resulted in massive increases in farm productivity. Then there was the interstate highway system - that’s been a mixed bag. The human genome project has been a massive success. So don’t write off everything the government provides.

Dismayed

Why am I misinformed on Toyota and Porsche? Toyota is still working on Hydrogen (Both Fuel Cells and ICE) and Porsche just announced it is breaking ground on a solar power synthetic fuel plant.
Companies do dumb things, too!

ErVikingo

Why am I misinformed on Toyota and Porsche? Toyota is still working on Hydrogen (Both Fuel Cells and ICE) and Porsche just announced it is breaking ground on a solar power synthetic fuel plant.
see my post about the "Porsche" plant

Dismayed

What is dumb and not dumb today will not be known for several decades. Competition between ideas is the best way to increase innovation.
No, thermodynamics is already known.

Dismayed

And which law of thermodynamics determines the best energy policy?
You are being obtuse. I’ve already studied thermodynamics at both undergraduate and graduate levels. Go buy a book. Even then you’ll likely argue for a process that’s 35% efficient vs 80%+.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The grid is almost everywhere and standardized so using it cuts out a lot processing cost, distribution cost, middlemen cost and profit, and development cost and seems like electricity is straight forward first step over any new fuel and its associated new processing, transportation and infrastructure cost. But best of all almost any fuel will have have to be combusted and will continue to add Co2 to the environment. Hydrogen may win in the end but its not around the corner.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And which law of thermodynamics determines the best energy policy?
This image will illustrate why thermodynamics gives a low prospect for synthetic fuels. It comes from this article.

1682639412578.png

levimax

Major Contributor
You are being obtuse. I’ve already studied thermodynamics at both undergraduate and graduate levels. Go buy a book. Even then you’ll likely argue for a process that’s 35% efficient vs 80%+.
Maybe you should buy an economics book. There is a lot more to solving problems in the real world than just "thermodynamic efficiency". After all solar panels are only about 25% efficient so should they be disqualified? Same with wind turbines. The only reason that both make sense is because wind and sun are "free". Currently the problem with solar and wind is not their low efficiency but rather that they are seasonally and weather dependent. The solution is large scale storage which does not currently exist at scale. If hydrogen or synthetic fuels can store some excess solar production (which occurs most every spring and summer day resulting in "negative" electric rates) even if it is not as efficient as an electric motor that does not mean it can not be a useful part of the solution.

monkeyboy

A true economic analysis is what would be needed to make an unemotional decision...but that won't happen...even if the climate is warming, and there is actually something we can do about it, then what is the cost/benefit of doing nothing and what is the cost/benefit of doing the something...no, the world is not going to end, things would just change gradually....literally at a glacial pace....

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe you should buy an economics book. There is a lot more to solving problems in the real world than just "thermodynamic efficiency". After all solar panels are only about 25% efficient so should they be disqualified? Same with wind turbines. The only reason that both make sense is because wind and sun are "free". Currently the problem with solar and wind is not their low efficiency but rather that they are seasonally and weather dependent. The solution is large scale storage which does not currently exist at scale. If hydrogen or synthetic fuels can store some excess solar production (which occurs most every spring and summer day resulting in "negative" electric rates) even if it is not as efficient as an electric motor that does not mean it can not be a useful part of the solution.
I think they'll be a niche product. Doesn't mean there isn't a use for them. The synth fuels have the same problem as direct hydrogen. That is such fuels are an energy transfer medium. Plus an extra step of processing to get there. They aren't a direct energy source. Fossil fuel is an energy source as far as we are concerned in the use of it. Synth fuel turns liquid fuels into a transfer medium rather than an energy source, and one that is not highly efficient.

levimax

Major Contributor
This image will illustrate why thermodynamics gives a low prospect for synthetic fuels. It comes from this article.

View attachment 281916
If "efficiency" was the goal rather than providing practical and affordable energy with a minimum of externalities then yes this is a good analysis. The problem is it assumes that batteries that can store huge amounts of energy can practically and safely and economically be built, this is not a given. I don't know the answer but I would guess there are going to be multiple technologies involved with solving the future energy needs of the world. My issue is that going "all in" on unproven technologies because the central planners are subsidizing them while ignoring other potential solutions is sub optimal.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If "efficiency" was the goal rather than providing practical and affordable energy with a minimum of externalities then yes this is a good analysis. The problem is it assumes that batteries that can store huge amounts of energy can practically and safely and economically be built, this is not a given. I don't know the answer but I would guess there are going to be multiple technologies involved with solving the future energy needs of the world. My issue is that going "all in" on unproven technologies because the central planners are subsidizing them while ignoring other potential solutions is sub optimal.
Well I understand how you are looking at it I think. Obviously fossil fuels are less energy efficient than EVs. But the fuel has enough energy so that inefficiency doesn't keep it from being economical. Plus its high energy density. EV's are to the point even with reduced energy onboard and lower energy density they are roughly competitive with fossil fueled cars. If carbon emission is an issue, EVs are better than fossil fuels. I don't like the gov't interference either as I don't think it is needed at this point.

The efficiency aspect does come into play when you convert liquid fuel into an energy transport system rather than an energy source. The extra steps hurt efficiency and while it may stop the carbon emissions it further swings things in the direction of EV cars. I find it very unlikely synth fuels could be as economical as fossil fuel, but I'm no expert on that. I'd think existing oil companies have the most to gain from R&D on this. Their money and influence are enough if it is viable I don't think it will get shut out of the picture. Certainly such fuel is likely to be useful even if more expensive in regards to ships and aircraft. Especially for military purposes where cost is less an issue than energy available in high density.

levimax

Major Contributor
Well I understand how you are looking at it I think. Obviously fossil fuels are less energy efficient than EVs. But the fuel has enough energy so that inefficiency doesn't keep it from being economical. Plus its high energy density. EV's are to the point even with reduced energy onboard and lower energy density they are roughly competitive with fossil fueled cars. If carbon emission is an issue, EVs are better than fossil fuels. I don't like the gov't interference either as I don't think it is needed at this point.

The efficiency aspect does come into play when you convert liquid fuel into an energy transport system rather than an energy source. The extra steps hurt efficiency and while it may stop the carbon emissions it further swings things in the direction of EV cars. I find it very unlikely synth fuels could be as economical as fossil fuel, but I'm no expert on that. I'd think existing oil companies have the most to gain from R&D on this. Their money and influence are enough if it is viable I don't think it will get shut out of the picture. Certainly such fuel is likely to be useful even if more expensive in regards to ships and aircraft. Especially for military purposes where cost is less an issue than energy available in high density.
Some people probably think I am crazy being so anti-subsidy, especially when it come to energy, but I am old enough to remember the 1960's. At the time Nuclear energy was going to be the solution and there were articles and TV shows showing a very bright future with unlimited and even unmetered energy (just pay a monthly fee like the internet). While there were less direct subsidies (of course the military indirectly subsidized a lot) there was a huge subsidy that governments offered which was a liability waiver. This certainly "jump started" the nuclear power industry (prematurely) and the unintended result was they ended up killing what should be a clean, safe and reliable source of energy. All they had to do was leave it alone and let the technology develop enough that it would be safe enough for commercial insurance. I could easily see something similar happen to solar. If the non stop subsidies keep more solar coming online and mid day negative rates keep getting bigger and bigger solar may become economically unviable. This combined with some low probability weather evet where a large area is without power during a cold snap and people die could turn public opinion radically against solar and another great source of clean energy could be lost.

ErVikingo

A true economic analysis is what would be needed to make an unemotional decision...but that won't happen...even if the climate is warming, and there is actually something we can do about it, then what is the cost/benefit of doing nothing and what is the cost/benefit of doing the something...no, the world is not going to end, things would just change gradually....literally at a glacial pace....
and what I see on this thread proves your point.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Some people probably think I am crazy being so anti-subsidy, especially when it come to energy, but I am old enough to remember the 1960's. At the time Nuclear energy was going to be the solution and there were articles and TV shows showing a very bright future with unlimited and even unmetered energy (just pay a monthly fee like the internet). While there were less direct subsidies (of course the military indirectly subsidized a lot) there was a huge subsidy that governments offered which was a liability waiver. This certainly "jump started" the nuclear power industry (prematurely) and the unintended result was they ended up killing what should be a clean, safe and reliable source of energy. All they had to do was leave it alone and let the technology develop enough that it would be safe enough for commercial insurance. I could easily see something similar happen to solar. If the non stop subsidies keep more solar coming online and mid day negative rates keep getting bigger and bigger solar may become economically unviable. This combined with some low probability weather evet where a large area is without power during a cold snap and people die could turn public opinion radically against solar and another great source of clean energy could be lost.
To put it in perspective, more people died in Teddy Kennedy's car than at Three Mile Island.

RandomEar

Honestly: If you don't bother checking the sources I provided, what's even the point of discussing this further?

Porsche literally writes "more than 80% EVy by 2030". They're massively scaling up EV production for their consumer cars, synthetic fuels are irrelevant for Porsche in the mass market. They're destined to supply small amounts of synfuels for racing competitions and such. Toyota recently had a massive shift in production goals towards EVs. Conveniently, all that was detailed in those sources.

Your argument is the same as "Mazda is still working on rotary engines. They're definitely the future!". No, they're not and you know it. It's niche tech and it will stay niche, because it has major disadvantages which are inherent to the technology and can't be overcome due to physics - mostly a lower efficiency. Just like FCVs and Hydrogen ICEs.

ErVikingo

Porsche literally writes "more than 80% EVy by 2030".
They are responding to regulations being placed on them and to government subsidies making them profitable. I have some knowledge re: Porsche.

Racing is an RD lab, a marketing beast and entertainment (not necessarily in that order). The plan is to use synth fuels in racing as a promotional thing to show the masses that its possible and (for the consumer) seamless. Remember Porsche's centrifugal/flywheel generator on the 911 GT3 R Hybrid. In that application instead of batteries, an electrical flywheel power generator delivered energy to the electric motors. It was a road show to gain knowledge of options in new technologies to improve efficiency and to market the design prowess of the brand. In practice it was a nightmare.

Disclaimer I still own and race on occasion a GT3R (non hybrid as those were not sold to customer teams). In the past the stable has included 911, 914, 996, 997, 991 based race cars and other brands.

Synth gas can be easily scaled up to fuel current oil based vehicles (cars, trucks, ships, planes, trains). That should help on transition and on the overall impact vs throwing away a lot of cars.

Back to cars, where do old cars go to die? We change them in our more mature economies but they are just moved "south of the border" and used forever in other countries where the emissions systems are removed/not replaced when used up. Try driving through Mississippi and TX and you see caravans of old cars being driven south.

So we moving the problem (NIMBY) but not solving it. Here is one are where synth fuels help. Have to think holistically, from lowering consumption to improving production to cleaning up decomissioning.

Rotary engines.... I have owned various over the years (Rx3, Cosmo, Rx7 v1, Rx7 R1) and raced a 3 rotor car. Fantastic engine with little moving parts. Dense in terms of conversion of fuel to power but apex seals are an issue. Great application for generation where they run at a constant speed. I think its a "HALO" thing for Mazda. In the future, maybe as a range extender for hybrids.

Last edited:

levimax

Major Contributor
Honestly: If you don't bother checking the sources I provided, what's even the point of discussing this further?

Porsche literally writes "more than 80% EVy by 2030". They're massively scaling up EV production for their consumer cars, synthetic fuels are irrelevant for Porsche in the mass market. They're destined to supply small amounts of synfuels for racing competitions and such. Toyota recently had a massive shift in production goals towards EVs. Conveniently, all that was detailed in those sources.

Your argument is the same as "Mazda is still working on rotary engines. They're definitely the future!". No, they're not and you know it. It's niche tech and it will stay niche, because it has major disadvantages which are inherent to the technology and can't be overcome due to physics - mostly a lower efficiency. Just like FCVs and Hydrogen ICEs.
Not sure why there has to be only one solution for the future. Some technologies like Syn Fuels are most likely a transition solution but they could be helpful especially if it uses up some excess mid day solar capacity, which I see as one of the biggest challenges for the green transition. If every solar farm has to sell at negative rates for 2-3 hours per day that only leaves a fraction of their production to over come their losses and try to make a profit. While predicting the future is difficult to me it is a safe bet that all this 80% EV by 2030 talk is not going to pan out if for no other reason than consumer demand.... many consumers are not interested in EV's as they don't fit their needs.

Top Bottom