• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do you want to see from Topping..?

JRS

Major Contributor
DSP with a 2-way crossover - selections for slope and frequency with high pass and low pass outs.
But able to slave a twin so that you have 4 x 8, and a convolver. Balanced outs. Three digital inputs and ARC from HDMI. Better knobs and a really good remote that could access maybe different presets.

LearningToSmile

DSP with a 2-way crossover - selections for slope and frequency with high pass and low pass outs.
Pretty much, for me I just want subwoofer integration for desktop/active solutions. Ideally in one box, either in a DAC/headphone amp combo, or in a DAC. Literally just put a crossover in your existing products. For extra functionality make it 2x2 with a crossover that can cover more than just subwoofer frequencies.

Ideally I'd see it this way:
  • First group of outputs, volume controlled pre-outs:
    • stereo high frequency outputs
    • stereo low frequency outputs with option to sum to mono
    • crossover frequency and slope and summing adjustable from the menu with the option to turn the low frequency outputs completely, or maybe send full signal to both
  • Second group of outputs:
    • stereo line-outs
  • Dedicated hardware button to switch between first group of outputs/second group of outputs/headphone amplifier if there's one
Less ideally but cheaper/simpler to implement just throw in a mono subwoofer out to your existing products with a crossover/slope adjustable from the menu. When I was looking for a subwoofer solution I was very surprised how hard it was to find a product like that.

Mattt

A DAC with DSP and a web interface similar of HiFiBerryOS

Attachments

• Schermata 2021-12-25 alle 12.05.57.png
    Schermata 2021-12-25 alle 12.05.57.png
    207.9 KB · Views: 103

Max

Forum Donor
Definitely,
An all-in-one like the new Topping MX5 but:
- with more power (100W@8ohms?)
- with a subwoofer-dedicated output (and a few parameters for the crossover)

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given that the guys are pretty active on the forum, seems as good a place as any to suggest future projects that we'd like to see as potential customers...

For me, I think one of the things that gets me about Topping is that their form factor varies seemingly at random, meaning it might look a bit odd to get the units that meet your needs together. Personally, I would love to see a bit more consistency so that you can pair amplifiers with DACs etc without them looking like they come from different companies. They're pretty good...just maybe a bit more to done in this department.

What I'd also like to see is some small, bridgeable power amps. It feels like Topping have the chassis and the chips, and adding one or maybe two small power amps to a neat and compact DAC with volume control would kick most big player's butts.

Thoughts welcome...
Actually my dissatisfaction with Topping case is almost the opposite of yours. I feel Topping has been too constrained by the compact format. So for example the Pre90 must be split into two box to get an sufficient number of input. Personally I would prefer a one-box, full width, 17" solutions, (a bit like the Freya S or +).

Arnas

Topping a90Pro with pre90 wolume control.
I think topping cheap out way too much on wolume control... Alps to say the least or pre 90 wolume controll would be great!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I know this sounds a bit silly but I'd love to see a CD transport that has a USB and bluetooth output- no built-in DAC, with front panel controls and a remote.

I think you'd be the only customer for that one. ;)

7jm

An integrated power supply as the brick is a bit long in the tooth now and single ended inputs in amplifiers. Most people paying the amount of say PA5 will primarily be connecting it to SE equipment as evidenced by the myriad of queries regarding connectivity, from myself included.

Dogen

Forum Donor
Surround processor. Pretty much impossible due to how complex it is to create one.
Yes, and expensive for a smaller company because of all the licensing fees. Only the big players can afford it. It’s a shame, really,

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Streamer w DSP > E50 > 200W Power amp w 3 digit SINAD

The former is what I really, really, want as there are plenty 200w power amps out there and I can always use PA5 when I don't need the power.

So to summarize ->> Streamer w DSP and Sub out

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Yes, and expensive for a smaller company because of all the licensing fees. Only the big players can afford it. It’s a shame, really,
Yep, getting the licensing is part of the complexity. If it was easy we'd have more than just Tonewinner doing it.

OP
facefirst

facefirst

Honestly think the simplest (i.e. least tooling and testing) thing to do would be bridgable power amps. They have the internals and the chassis. Just a case of combining them in the right packages to suite their various product lines.

Please...

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do people want power amps from Topping? There are demonstrably superior power amps already available at Topping price points.

And all-in-one products? The more functions stuffed into one box, the fewer the use cases unless we expect people to bypass functionality. (As I already do with my E30–I will never use that device in “Pre” mode.)

But DSP processors that can be used in analog stereo systems are rare. A DSP processor has an ADC, a processor, and a DAC, and Topping has demonstrated excellence in these areas already. As I said before, MiniDSP needs a competitor.

I would like a modern replacement for my vintage Yamaha PEQ that would integrate with REW and impose an even smaller noise floor. It could live in a processor loop or between a preamp and an amp. It could live between a source selector and two amps and be used as an active crossover.

It would need several selectable setups—maybe even a couple that could be cascaded. Full PEQ, of course. It would also need channel-selectable delay for time alignment.

If I wanted a streamer, I’d get a streamer. But please can we have a product that isn’t tied to streaming or digital as the only source? Can we please add products that make analog-based systems better?

Rick “who has not found an affordable new PEQ processor with analog ins and outs that measures as well as it should” Denney

CedarWind108

Purifi based monoblocks.

AK4499 DAC under $350 (since AKM is making them again).

Wifi streamer.

Remote control with volume knob instead of buttons.

Active crossover.

Schiit should also take a look at the ideas in this thread.

CedarWind108

E4098D8E-F3BF-4791-A5FE-D6B7BF259768.jpeg
8CCFBDC5-F761-4371-AD76-0AC3BFF79AFC.jpeg
Cool looking powerful amp with (optional) tubes on the input, VU meters. Something with a vintage look and modern measurements. Something with a look like these (but smaller).

Bleib

Major Contributor
Btw, since we have the technology today and have had it for quite some time. Why analogue volume controls? Make channel inbalances a thing of the past.

Top Bottom