• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do you want to see from Topping..?

facefirst

Given that the guys are pretty active on the forum, seems as good a place as any to suggest future projects that we'd like to see as potential customers...

For me, I think one of the things that gets me about Topping is that their form factor varies seemingly at random, meaning it might look a bit odd to get the units that meet your needs together. Personally, I would love to see a bit more consistency so that you can pair amplifiers with DACs etc without them looking like they come from different companies. They're pretty good...just maybe a bit more to done in this department.

What I'd also like to see is some small, bridgeable power amps. It feels like Topping have the chassis and the chips, and adding one or maybe two small power amps to a neat and compact DAC with volume control would kick most big player's butts.

Thoughts welcome...

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
Personally, I'd love to see a version of the EX5 with the ability to import PEQ headphone presets.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Surround processor. Pretty much impossible due to how complex it is to create one.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A DSP stereo amp with subwoofer out! Or, if that's too much to ask, an affordable, miniDSP-esque device that actually measures well.

Last edited:

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
DAC with onboard DSP.
A DSP stereo amp with subwoofer out! Or, if that's too much too ask, a miniDSP-esque device that actually measures well.

For me an ideal device would be a combination preamp + PEQ/crossover DSP + DAC + subwoofer output + power amp + simple display + remote.

E.g. it might be a unit with:
  • Inputs: analog, USB and S/PDIF optical
  • Outputs: loudspeaker and subwoofer outputs
  • Bass and treble tone controls
  • Configurable crossover filters
  • Dedicated 6-band PEQs for each individual L, R and sub outputs.
  • DSP configurable via USB - or even better via a network connection (e.g. web GUI accessible from a standard web browser)
  • Display with volume level and selected input
  • Remote control with IR learning
  • Auto input sensing
  • Auto on/off
  • Power amp: at least PA3s-level performance, ideally there would also be a higher powered option
Sadly it seems there are not that many units on the market that fill the niche of an EQ-capable integrated stereo power amp - perhaps it's just too much of a niche. :)

Of course one could just use something like miniDSP Flex + Topping PA3s combination to get most of the above features for a reasonable price - but it is two boxes, and one of them will not be remote controlled. Would be nice to have some more diversity of integrated options on the market.

miniDSP SHD Power comes to mind as one that ticks most boxes, but it also has a lot of extra features (Dirac Live, streaming...) and the price seems pretty high (compared to e.g. above miniDSP Flex + Topping PA3s example).

Eneko

I would love to see a DSP (just DSP) device with the form factor (and price) of the Topping D10, with digital in and out (USB) and the right buttons (up and down arrows) of topping D90 to change between different presets. Ideally I would like to load the presets connecting it to the computer and putting them on a dedicated folder as plain .txt files. If this thing ever exists I would buy one for every device I have xD

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AV processor + DSP
Desktop DAC + DSP
USB dongle DAC + DSP
Powerful amp for a living room

gmoney

I don't think it will ever happen but I want a all in one solution. Headphone amp, speaker amp, DAC in one box that meets or exceeds the capabilities of some of their separate products. EQ would be a bonus.

I would pay $800 for something with PA5 power amplifier performance + DX3 Pro headphone Amp/DAC performance just for the sake of a cleaner desk setup.

Reactions: Max

Russell484

Just looked at the new MX5 - I like everything about it, Dac plus the RCA inputs I need for phono. It would fit my needs perfectly with just want a little more power as in 60w+ per channel into 8 ohms, match the power of the PA5. The other device that fits my needs, although currently outside my budget is the Matrix Mini i Pro which would pair well for me with the PA5 amp. I need SE RCA for a phono input in addition to the digital inputs.

MCH

Major Contributor
Something with the functionality of Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 (that is, the usual thing+streamer+analog in) that is cheaper and less roon dependent.

Top Bottom