• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do you use to implement DSP?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is possible but I cannot advice you about the details. I run DL on my PC as the default audio output (from JRiver) via USB to my DAC.
I do the exact same thing. My primary input programs of Qobuz for stereo audio, Google Chrome for internet AV content, and Netflix and Kodi w addons for movies. When I listen to headphones either Chromecast audio or an NVidia Shield feed my Smyth A16 Realiser.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
do you happen to have results of Acourate off and On? I'm very interested!

Examples posted many times...

I equalize for "flat".

Two very different pairs of speakers. Red = raw, Black = DSP used, with Psychoacoustic Smoothing.

The software is AcourateDRC, think of it as Acourate Lite, it's not the full version, "tuned" for the miniDSP.

1618957182317.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
For a free solution: PC, REW, Rephase, foobar 2000 with convolver plug in.

Only if the source resides upon passes through the PC.

Mine don't.

OP
roog

roog

Forum Donor
It is, as long as you stick to stereo.

Are you talking about streaming/playing files or stream from the web?

yes, I want to stick with stereo and yes I mostly stream from web based services such as Tidal.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Just recently I added minidsp hd2x4 to my living room 2.1 system. I also recently added minidsp 2x4 (non HD) to my computer room 2.1 setup. So far happy with the results after using REW to match the speakers with the sub.

Geert

Major Contributor
A NUC with Mopidy and Brutefir over here. I developed a web interface for Brutefir so I can switch filters and control volume.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
yes, I want to stick with stereo and yes I mostly stream from web based services such as Tidal.
With a NUC running Win10, you can install DL3 Standalone as the default audio output device and run any audio through it, including any streaming apps.

OP
roog

roog

Forum Donor
With a NUC running Win10, you can install DL3 Standalone as the default audio output device and run any audio through it, including any streaming apps.

thank you @Kal Rubinson, I assume that I would then have to make the NUC my music streaming device, I.e. it can’t just sit on the network With my normal kit.

I am sorry for the daft questions, it just that I’m not sure how DIRAC works with other devices.

to be quite truthful I have been itching to buy a NUC so I might just buy one and have a play!

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
thank you @Kal Rubinson, I assume that I would then have to make the NUC my music streaming device, I.e. it can’t just sit on the network With my normal kit.
Can you restate this to better distinguish those options for me? Thanks.
But, yes, you have to get the music into the NUC somehow.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Equalizer APO. It's free, it works and it reads REW output.

Xombul

Forum Donor
I use a Raspberry, it is a cheap and convenient solution.

paulraphael

I do everything on a mac, and have found a great solution in SoundSource by Rogue Amoeba. It replaces the standard sound control panel and gives you a nicely designed interface for inserting AudioUnits plugins, and for creating custom routings. So if you want you can decide which applications use which plugins, or bypass any system-wide plugins. You can also route different apps to different outputs.

For eq I use FabFilter's ProQ 3, which a glorious piece of overkill for listening to music at home. But it's fun and easy to use ... the features don't get in the way.

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 2.24.20 PM.jpg

OP
roog

roog

Forum Donor
I am I little overwhelmed, thank you to everyone, there are so many options, I’m off to read up on a few!

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
For those who may be using JRiver's DSP Studio for "simple" home theater PC multi-channel surround setups, I recommend to use the PEQ section for your bass management and avoid the dedicated "Room Correction" DSP module.

The reasoning behind this and (original templates) are found in this JRiver thread.

I currently switch between these two templates stored as presets in DSP Studio, and the ff. are simplified examples:

1619035042846.png

LFE is high-passed above

Stacked x2 Butterworth filters are used to create LR 24/dB octave filters. If you want multiple subs to distribute the sub/LFE, you could use a miniDSP 2x4HD which could also give you max ~2042 taps for each sub(s x2) if needed -- even that may be enough to make some very general phase curve manipulations.

LFE is extended to satellite(s) below
1619035079153.png

The signals coming out are essentially the same in both, except for those cases (some concert DVDs) where the LFE signal contains a full frequency range e.g. bass guitar harmonics are routed to the either satellites or a dedicated center channel. I do not have a center channel and there's a ~15dB bass cancellation in my surrounds so that extended bass is routed to the L+R mains.

1619049127334.png

Now, there may still be potential issues with the LFE + sub-satellite system not summing properly if the individual channel phases are not adequately phase compliant at your microphone's position. JRiver also does not have currently All-Pass filter capabilities in their native PEQ section.

For that I can recommend rePhase for manually applying FIR convolution to each channel (will need a config file for this) to manipulate the phases if necessary -- very much an iterative process, adjusting between flattening the phases and re-adjusting the delays -- REW's dedicated "Alignment Tool" under the "ALL SPL" tab view can be invaluable here. Even "small improvements" can be achieved even if you can't fully linearize the sub-satellite xo due to specific room acoustics issues.

BTW, rePhase is also quite useful for you to visualize some before and after correction graph displays since JRiver does not have this facility in its PEQ window.

1619036164214.png

PEQs simplifed version

1619049797002.png

cross-overs overlap, but since phases are all flat, it's a non-issue

Last edited:
Top Bottom