• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do you use to implement DSP?

roog

Forum Donor
I notice that DSP gets a mention here from time to time, I just wondered what people use to implement DSP in their systems?

I like the look of DIRAC and I currently use an RME ADI-2 fs DAC which has a simple parametric equaliser, just wondering if there is something out there that allows quality output from DSP?

My main interest is in room correction but also general EQ. Its nice to have the Bass and Treble control back in my life!

I think @amirm, (I may be wrong), mentions the beneficial use of correction, especially in headphone systems

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

simbloke

Forum Donor
I play my music via an Intel NUC running upmpdcli and this dsp project that plugs in to ALSA. It comes with a script that creates its config file from a REW export. I imagine a lot of people would want a more integrated system such as Volumio, but this works well for me.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mathaudio Room EQ. Easy to use, great results, totaly free incombination with Foobar 2000. Coparable with costly other solution.
https://mathaudio.com/room-eq.htm

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
For PEQ, the 'poor man's RME ADI-2', the $110 Qudelix 5k.

Having lived thru unending BSOD with win 3, 95, 98, nt, 2000, xt, 7, now 10 - if there is ANY way to keep a Windows PC completely out of my audio stream - that's for me.

Last edited:

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW - I have DIRAC available in my MiniDSP Studio SHD.
In my room, with my gear it's like bathing my dog.

While music sounds different with DIRAC engaged, I would not say it sounds better.

My opinion is that it works best with room induced problems, less on wringing more performance from sub optimal drivers or amps.

I expect you'll get better results with "cans" adding a dedicated amp if you don't already have one.

Your mileage may (and most certainly will) vary.

OP
roog

roog

Forum Donor
Many thanks all,

DIRAC seems to have a raised profile at the moment, this may in part be due to adoption by NAD and MiniDSP/Studio SHD type products. I quite like the idea of embedded solutions, I just wondered if it was possible to run DIRAC on a headless PC, a NUC for example?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Many thanks all,
DIRAC seems to have a raised profile at the moment, this may in part be due to adoption by NAD and MiniDSP/Studio SHD type products. I quite like the idea of embedded solutions, I just wondered if it was possible to run DIRAC on a headless PC, a NUC for example?
It is possible but I cannot advice you about the details. I run DL on my PC as the default audio output (from JRiver) via USB to my DAC.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many thanks all,

Good question.

It's available to download.
https://live.dirac.com/

OP
roog

roog

Forum Donor
Thanks @Kal Rubinson and @Jim Matthews, I like the idea of Dirac Live as it seems popular and I may be able to tap into help when required, which I will probably need!
I am keen to know if I can run Dirac Live on a NUC linked to the same network as my streamer (Bluesound Node 2i) via ethernet, that way I can keep my current streamer DAC combo, or whether I have to derive the audio from the NUC via USB and link it to my DAC, which is an RME ADI-2 fs ?

Either would be ok, I would just prefer to keep my Node 2i for its user interface and hide the NUC out of the way with the network switch.
Of course, I may have completely misunderstood how Dirac Live is supposed to be implemented. When I contacted Dirac about this, they suggested that I buy a New NAD M10 or M33, which would be an option, but replacing my entire stereo system did feel a bit extreme.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who has tried or can explain how I can implement Dirac Live, preferably in my system, or even if you think that an M10 would be the way to go!

Last edited:

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I am running Trinnov Amethyst DSP,Preamp/ Romcorretion/Dac all in one, with music from CD, Parks Audio Puffin RIAA toslink out and Roon. Feeding my classic Japanese poweramp.

Just tried the Roon EQ, did dot success well in first trial, need more work, do not bother more with Roon since I have Trinnov
1618933942052.png

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I am keen to know if I can run Dirac Live on a NUC linked to the same network as my streamer (Bluesound Node 2i) via ethernet, that way I can keep my current streamer DAC combo, or whether I have to derive the audio from the NUC via USB and link it to my DAC, which is an RME ADI-2 fs ?
I know one can do the latter. What are you running on the NUC? Roon? JRiver?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I just wondered what people use to implement DSP in their systems?

Automated DSP:

MiniDSP OpenDRC-DI (6144 taps, FIR and IIR filters), with AcourateDRC software and a UMIK-1 for audible measurement

Manual DSP:

Behringer DEQ 2496.

Both used as digital IN/OUT so they only perform mathematical alterations to the bit stream,and all sources feed through them.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Automated DSP:

MiniDSP OpenDRC-DI (6144 taps, FIR and IIR filters), with AcourateDRC software and a UMIK-1 for audible measurement

Manual DSP:

Behringer DEQ 2496.

Both used as digital IN/OUT so they only perform mathematical alterations to the bit stream,and all sources feed through them.

do you happen to have results of Acourate off and On? I'm very interested!

OP
roog

roog

Forum Donor
I know one can do the latter. What are you running on the NUC? Roon? JRiver?

hi @Kal Rubinson i don’t own a NUC as yet, but it looks like a neat solution for a PC, so I would be looking for advice on music streaming programs too!

I was hoping that I could set up Dirac on the NUC and use a conventional streamer to play the stream.

OP
roog

roog

Forum Donor
I am running Trinnov Amethyst DSP,Preamp/ Romcorretion/Dac all in one, with music from CD, Parks Audio Puffin RIAA toslink out and Roon. Feeding my classic Japanese poweramp.

Just tried the Roon EQ, did dot success well in first trial, need more work, do not bother more with Roon since I have Trinnov
View attachment 125235

The Trinnov looks like a very nifty box of tricks.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
hi @Kal Rubinson i don’t own a NUC as yet, but it looks like a neat solution for a PC, so I would be looking for advice on music streaming programs too!
It is, as long as you stick to stereo.

I was hoping that I could set up Dirac on the NUC and use a conventional streamer to play the stream.
Are you talking about streaming/playing files or stream from the web?

davide78

Forum Donor
Yamaha RX-V477 graphics EQ and tone control + miniDSP 2x4 for subwoofer EQ

Top Bottom