• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do you use as a source for your music with a DAC

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
If I have a smart phone, and I want to run its audio to a DAC, how do I do that?

https://nuprimeaudio.com/ufaqs/how-...-or-ios-tablet-and-smartphone/?v=dd65ef9a5579
(First thing google gave me. This seems to be an FAQ for NuPrime DACs, but any USB DAC should do the trick.)

Is the phone's DAC processing a digital signal to analog and then that analog signal goes to the outboard DAC via USB C?

No. USB only has ground, 5v and data wires. Nothing analogue.

Does the phone know there's a digital receiver on the other end of the USB C and, thus, passes a digital signal to the DAC, bypassing its own DAC?

Yes. If the correct cables are used (Camera cable for Apple, OTG cable for Android) and the OS on the phone isn't ancient.

Is there an app that needs to be used to disable the phone's DAC to pass a digital signal via USB C to the outboard DAC?

Nope. But USB Audio Player PRO seems to be recommended if you want "bit perfect" transmission on Android.

At this point, is Bluetooth 5.0 the only option for actually getting a digital signal out of a phone and to the DAC?

Nope. USB is fine.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The front end of this post is the funniest bit of Three's Company shtick I've read in a long time, and I'm still not convinced the question got answered. Let's try again...

If I have a smart phone, and I want to run its audio to a DAC, how do I do that?
  • Is the phone's DAC processing a digital signal to analog and then that analog signal goes to the outboard DAC via USB C? This makes having an outboard DAC useless, I think.
  • Does the phone know there's a digital receiver on the other end of the USB C and, thus, passes a digital signal to the DAC, bypassing its own DAC?
  • Is there an app that needs to be used to disable the phone's DAC to pass a digital signal via USB C to the outboard DAC?
  • At this point, is Bluetooth 5.0 the only option for actually getting a digital signal out of a phone and to the DAC?
One of these, or something like one of these, has to be the answer. Give the brother a break.

The output of a USB-C/micro-USB/Lightning port on a smartphone is going to be digital, and will have been digital all the way through the interior of the phone's electronics. If the phone has a headphone jack, the output of that will be analogue, converted from digital to analogue by a DAC inside the phone. If the phone does not have a headphone jack, then it has no DAC in it at all.

So in order to run digital audio from a smartphone to a DAC, you need only a cable that matches the smartphone's output plug on one end (USB-C/micro-USB/Lightning/whatever), and the DAC's input jack on the other (regular USB in most cases). Some portable DACs are super-compact and consist of just a plug for the phone's digital output at one end, and an analogue headphone jack at the other end.

Hope this helps.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I am also interested in the processes people use to get high quality audio files into a disk. Just rip the CD? Any particular programs? I use OSX. Can they be bought in high quality digital format?

Yes, rip your CDs. That will give you high quality digital files (unless they were used as coasters).

For OS X, XLD is good:

https://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

dBPowerAmp has also been ported to OS X, but I don't know anything about the quality of the port. You want a ripper that will check the integrity of your rips against an external database like Accuraterip, and both of those do that. I would suggest ripping to FLAC, since it's the most widely supported lossless format.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, rip your CDs. That will give you high quality digital files (unless they were used as coasters).

For OS X, XLD is good:

https://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

dBPowerAmp has also been ported to OS X, but I don't know anything about the quality of the port. You want a ripper that will check the integrity of your rips against an external database like Accuraterip, and both of those do that. I would suggest ripping to FLAC, since it's the most widely supported lossless format.

Agree on all counts. dBPowerAmp for Mac is great but costs about $30 while XLD is free and just as good. I play all my ripped music in Apple Lossless format as I use iTunes/Music app with the BitPerfect add-on, but when I rip my CDs I do so in FLAC for archival purposes. Not strictly necessary, just my preference. So all the tracks in my computer streamer library are ALAC but my original rips on my backup drives are single-file FLACs with CUE sheets (and Accurate-rip logs).

Katji

Major Contributor
I just posted elsewhere :
EAC
https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

MP3tag you can even post edit the tags
https://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html

Not sure about Mac though.

Apple Mac version is available.

Subscribe to email newsletter, get email when new version released, with list of changes. The developer is a nice person.....I owe him, it's been a while since I donated.
Script language like FubarFoobar, Help docs are ok, work when you have saved pages, user forum has more .

Daverz

Major Contributor
An inexpensive solution is to build a Raspberry Pi and connect to your DAC with USB. Then use your phone to control it.

You might be scaring folks off by using "build" when that involves snapping the Pi in to a plastic case, snapping the top on the case, inserting the microSD card, and plugging in the Pi. Putting together an Ikea coffee table requires more thought.

paulraphael

Agree on all counts. dBPowerAmp for Mac is great but costs about $30 while XLD is free and just as good. I play all my ripped music in Apple Lossless format as I use iTunes/Music app with the BitPerfect add-on, but when I rip my CDs I do so in FLAC for archival purposes. Not strictly necessary, just my preference. So all the tracks in my computer streamer library are ALAC but my original rips on my backup drives are single-file FLACs with CUE sheets (and Accurate-rip logs).

What does BitPerfect do? Why wouldn't iTunes/Music app already be "bit-perfect?"

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What does BitPerfect do? Why wouldn't iTunes/Music app already be "bit-perfect?"

The main reason I got BitPerfect is that my Mac-based iTunes/Music app library, which I have on a headless Mac mini that I use as my digital music streamer (USB out --> Oppo UDP-205 USB Async DAC in), has music files of varying bit depths and sample rates: 16 and 24-bit, and 44.1k, 48k, 88.2k, 96k, 176.4, and 192k sample rates. The Mac's digital audio output operates only at a fixed bit depth and sample rate - it cannot do on-the-fly resolution-switching. So if you go into the Audio MIDI utility and set the output to, say, 24 bit and 96k, that will work perfectly for 24 bit, 96k files. But will then take 16 bit, 44.1k files (aka CD-quality files) and resample them to 24 bit, 96k before sending them out over the computer's USB port.

At the time I first set up this system (had an Oppo BDP-105 then), I was persuaded that 100% bit-perfect output made an audible difference in the sound compared to just using iTunes and relying on the Mac's default fixed-resolution audio output setting.

These days I'm not so sure. In particular, the bit-depth thing seems like a non-issue to me: it's clear to me that the thing to do is to just set the Mac's output to 24 bit or 32 bit, since that will just pad lower bit-depth files with harmless zeroes. In fact, even though BitPerfect is, well, bit perfect, it too pads everything to 32 bit on output, as it detects that the Oppo's DAC is compatible with that.

The one area where I'm still uncertain, though, is the sample rate. I'm not terribly keen on sample-rate conversions that are not even-integer conversions. In other words, I know that upsampling a 44.1k source to 88.2k will be harmless and inaudible - such upsampling will just make a copy of every sample to double the number of samples. Same for 176.4k - that will just make 3 copies of each sample, to quadruple the rate. But when it comes to resampling between 44.1k and 48k - or even multiples thereof - then it's not so simple and I figure why do that if I don't have to?

Even there, though, @mansr and others have demonstrated to me that 44.1k to 96k conversion is trivial and losslessly reversible, which strongly indicates that such a conversion would have no detectable sonic effect.

Still, seeing as BitPerfect is only $10 and sits seamlessly between iTunes and the Mac's audio output settings, I consider it money very well-spent.

However, if I were just setting this system up now, after having been a member here for all this time, I might not get BitPerfect. Instead, I would probably just set the Audio MIDI utility to output everything at 32 bit, 88.2kHz, and replace the 15% or so of my library music files that have 48k, 96k, and 192k sample rates with versions that have 44.1k or 88.2k sample rates.

Even as it is, I've replaced 192k and 176.4k files with 96k and 88.2k files whenever possible, as the former just take up space to no audible effect.

The only other lingering question I have is that BitPerfect, like many standalone third-party audio players, has the ability to use Integer Mode. My understanding - which could be incorrect - is that without BitPerfect the Mac will use floating-point mode, which is not technically bit perfect. But again, it might very well be that floating point output is accurate beyond the limits of what we have to worry about, so that could be a total non-issue as well. I'm sure there are folks here who know.

mansr

Major Contributor
USB can do analog. Apparently some phones do it - some Huawei , iirc.
It's an optional feature of the USB Type C port called Audio Adapter Accessory Mode. Here's the pinout from the spec:
1610927515708.png

Notice that there are two options for ground and mic connections. Thankfully, plain headphones with a TRS plug will work with either.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
USB can do analog. Apparently some phones do it - some Huawei , iirc.

Indeed - my Oneplus 7T and the wife's Honor (Huawei brand) do just that. Quite a few other brands/ models too I think. Some ship with a dongle that takes the analog from the USB C socket and outputs to 3.5mm. I bought an aftermarket Ugreen for my OP7T. But the output from the phone DAC is sadly too low to be of much use to me so I still use DAC dongles.

Katji

Major Contributor
I should've said, applies to USB Type C only.
I touched Google, briefly, just to find out iirc that it was Huawei I'd seen mentioned...decided it's time I got updated about the specs, but I still haven't got to it.
Apparently there is a setting to switch output to digital...I suppose it retains the setting.

Did not know that. I guess it's one way of dealing with the fact that mini jack is out of fashion :D
I think they've generally reverted since that happened...at least Samsung A series and Xiaomi. .............And I suppose the low-budget phones - the mass market doesn't expect to have to buy adaptors.

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
The 3.5 mm jack is difficult to waterproof. That's one of the reasons for wanting to get rid of it. Cheap phones aren't waterproof anyway, so it doesn't matter there. Another factor is the rather large chunk of internal space it requires. If you can get away with only one connector, that's tempting.

Top Bottom