• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do you think of this video.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I think you've nailed it. For the past 2 decades, I know for myself, I was fed and ate into all the hype. Believing that a $5,000 DAC would sound better than a $200 one, etc. The measurements from the reviews on this site directly target the goose that lays the golden egg.
I don't even mind those expensive DACs as long as they provide the performance promised. If you want to something from Chord or whatever that performs well and want to pay extra for the looks or story behind it that is cool by me. But brands like PS Audio that basically just sell badly engineered products can fuck right off. The irony is that buyers of snake oil products would see much bigger improvements in sound quality if they spend their snake oil money on stuff that matters.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He says that he trusts his doctor's diagnosis, but he's actually doing the audio science equivalent of trusting his naturopath...

He also seems really hung up on labels and names. WTF is up with his rambling about the number of a body's "senses" or if Pluto is labeled a planet or not...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Never trust an expert who's job it is to sell you something very expensive. I'm sure almost everyone here, everyone making or selling audio kit knows more than me about electrical and audio engineering and acoustic sciences. But I don't trust any implicitly.

I never fully trust anyone. Everyone is fallible, everyone has influences /pressures /incentives that make them less than fully objective. That's how the wrong arm gets amputated.

Last edited:

Blujackaal

Darko starts out with the hoary old "They called Galileo crazy too!" gambit. A version of "people thought X couldn't be true, but later science proved they were right!" This is used constantly by subjectivists and it is, not coincidentally, the calling card of every crank theory in existence, from every pseudo-science, alternative medicine, or fringe belief-system. "Just because it hasn't been proven YET doesn't mean it WON'T be shown to be true at some point."

I've always found that odd, Sure there are some legit unexplained stuff. But what Darko & most subjectivists try to argue is beyond silly when it clear they have no idea what there talking about. If you see what stuff they try to hype and get people to buy.

I've always found it funny subjectivists being anti lossy audio when the nature of it being tranparent is subjective. It's like they suddenly become mildly objective untill it pointed out.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the "They called John Wayne Gacy crazy too!" gambit

chlipong

The example "experts" he lists at around 9:00 might be experts at designing audio equipment, but they are also salespeople.
Like those experts from big tobacco who were claiming that smoking was harmless with a lot of supporting evidences.

In rhetoric, mentioning experts to self-validate one's own argument is called an argument from authority (quoted from wikipedia) :
Cognitive bias
The argument from authority is based on the idea that a perceived authority must know better and that the person should conform to their opinion. This has its roots in psychological cognitive biases such as the Asch effect. In repeated and modified instances of the Asch conformity experiments, it was found that high-status individuals create a stronger likelihood of a subject agreeing with an obviously false conclusion, despite the subject normally being able to clearly see that the answer was incorrect.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What part of the digital stream/kit is he talking about here? Digital transport being anything pre DAC? More boxes before the thing that turns the 1s and 0s into analog?

I think (but not sure) that he talks about listening to a streamer, into a reclocker then into the hifi (so, into a DAC etc etc). Even if there was a provable difference, how big can it be if its all in the digital realm?

Kvalsvoll

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Wasted 10 minutes watching this, and the another 10 minutes watching another to check if this was just a 1. april's joke, or actually representative for his understanding of how things are.

What this person believes does not matter, until he goes on telling other people, spreading disinformation. Sadly, this has become the norm in todays world of hifi.

wwenze

Major Contributor
I see a asr vs darko storms a comin’

may not be today. May not be tomorrow. But some day

How do you fight a war against somebody with nothing / no money to lose. (Not talking about Amir's retirement fund, but as in this website does not sell anything)

One has comments disabled. The other is a forum.

Legion

I've seen a couples of Darko video, I have no opinion on the guy. This video appeared on my youtube feed this morning and I started listening to it, seeing the comments were off, I assumed it was an april fool. I listened to it now, I think he is serious.

The amount of rhetorical fallacies is just mindblowing. The flight analogy is so bad, it's painful.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How do you fight a war against somebody with nothing / no money to lose. (Not talking about Amir's retirement fund, but as in this website does not sell anything)

One has comments disabled. The other is a forum.
more just a light hearted way of saying that, as discussed earlier, they are feeling the heat from these forums

wje

Forum Donor
Ahem. Ted Denney of Synergistic Research and his boutique cables. :p

kn0ppers

Darko seems like a nice guy. He speaks very calmly yet I still tend to disagree with almost everything he says. Can't really hate him because he is a bit like a cute, harmless Panda, but I can't take him seriously.

doctorjuggles

I used to enjoy his stuff because he's one of the few reviewers who reviews equipment based on impressions using music that I like and he was okay as long as you considered it in light of the reviews being subjective. There's nothing wrong with subjective reviewing in and of itself and he has (or had) an engaging way of doing so.
But his last three published pieces (written, video and podcast) have all been railing in some fashion against an objective outlook (and he forgets that many of us came from a subjective outlook).
Because of his most recent output I've unsubscribed because the things I used to enjoy about his output seem to be being eaten away by his indignation on this topic.

chlipong

Reactions: wje

Tks

Major Contributor
He trusts experts? Wonderful, now we need a whole new dictionary when conversing with like minded folks like himself.

Reactions: wje
Top Bottom