• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do you suggest for portable speaker

ehabheikal

Any decent portable bluetooth or bt/wired speakers. I curently use bose sounlink mini 2

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
UE stuff seems to always be at our near the top of most list. I have a Roll and love it. Not high fidelity but I don't expect that in this category at its size. I mostly use it for background music working in the garage or when we travel. I think one of the most important things is interrogating and being realistic about how you will use something like this and your performance expectations. For me that drives most of the decisions for items like this. Portability was near the top, so it's why I chose what I did.

After my experience with this one, I would personally feel comfortable with anything in UEs lineup if I decided I needed something to fill a different role e.g. bigger (more/fuller sound).

Last edited:
OP
E

ehabheikal

How portable does it need to be? In the tiny size class of the Soundlink Mini, I like this Xiaomi:

No can be bigger i was looking at vifa oslo which is bigger an heavier at 1.5k or 3.5lb

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I'd seen this post bust assumed your budget wasn't that high. In that case, the Sonos Move is a legitimately good performer, based on my measurements and impressions. Long thread but plenty of evidence Sonos paid close attention to the sound, which backs up the few measurements I've seen for the company's other speakers.

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Oh, I'd seen this post bust assumed your budget wasn't that high. In that case, the Sonos Move is a legitimately good performer, based on my measurements and impressions. Long thread but plenty of evidence Sonos paid close attention to the sound, which backs up the few measurements I've seen for the company's other speakers.

I got a Sonos Move for Christmas. Very happy with it. FWIW. :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I've never found a use for such.....what is your specific use for this kind of speaker? What do you mean wired as far as power/sources go?

abm0

Forum Donor
Oluv who was linked above with his Xiaomi review has focused on Bluetooth speakers for a long time, his channel is probably the best source of information you could look at to pick something that sounds good for the money (and not throw away unnecessary amounts on overpriced and overhyped brands like UE, Bose, Sony, Beats etc.). When you've got it down to a few models to decide between you can even use his sound demo database and A/B switcher to listen for the differences here: http://switcher.oluvsgadgets.net

In my case I went for the Denon Envaya Mini around 2016 because it was the best fidelity for the buck at the time, and I'm still enjoying its sound when I take it on vacations for scenarios when I don't want to use headphones. Its battery is not great though, so if this one dies on me I will be looking for its larger sibling from the newer generation, the Envaya DSB-250, as a replacement. Either that, or a JBL Flip 4 (which does need a bit of modding to sound its best), or maybe a Harman/Kardon Onyx Mini. (Don't really want anything past ~1 litre in volume because then it's not quite portable enough for me anymore.)

OP
E

ehabheikal

Oluv who was linked above with his Xiaomi review has focused on Bluetooth speakers for a long time, his channel is probably the best source of information you could look at to pick something that sounds good for the money (and not throw away unnecessary amounts on overpriced and overhyped brands like UE, Bose, Sony, Beats etc.). When you've got it down to a few models to decide between you can even use his sound demo database and A/B switcher to listen for the differences here: http://switcher.oluvsgadgets.net

In my case I went for the Denon Envaya Mini around 2016 because it was the best fidelity for the buck at the time, and I'm still enjoying its sound when I take it on vacations for scenarios when I don't want to use headphones. Its battery is not great though, so if this one dies on me I will be looking for its larger sibling from the newer generation, the Envaya DSB-250, as a replacement. Either that, or a JBL Flip 4 (which does need a bit of modding to sound its best), or maybe a Harman/Kardon Onyx Mini. (Don't really want anything past ~1 litre in volume because then it's not quite portable enough for me anymore.)

yes olav is amazing it was actually his videos that got me thinking of upgrading my bose sounlink mini 2 to a vifa but wanted to know if there is something better out there.

Lattiboy

I have the UE Megablast with the dock. The thing produces absurd amounts of sound and is built like a tank. It’s waterproof, battery lasts 6-8 hours, an EQ app, ability to run in stereo pairs, and it has Spotify connect built in.

I think they’re on version 2 now, but the version 1 I have is great. Runs about $150-200 on sale.

OP
E

ehabheikal

This looks interesting.
Not that kind of portable. :)
I was thinking something that is at most 1.5kg/3lbs ( but can do more if you give me audiophile heaven lol what we sacrifice for our "ears")

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I guess that lets out EV Sonocasters, too.

1597978054039.png

Reactions: MAB

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Do any of these sound good in an audiophile level?
... at an audiophile level? umm... no.
Not bad though. A pair passed through here once -- they are loaded with the entry-level (i.e., cheap) EV "Michigan" 8" twincones in a 1960s-fashionable Samsonite plastic luggage-style enclosure. Fun and sensitive loudspeakers -- no more,no less.

1598012833018.png

source: http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/html/1964-230/hr182.html

Just to put things in perspective -- the MC8 has a 3/4 inch VC, the LS8 has a 2 inch VC.
I am (still) a big fan of the (very) modest LS8 (FWIW) as a pleasant-to-listen-to "extended range" driver.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
After some research I bought the Anker Soundcore Motion+. The battery lasts a long time, you can store custom EQ settings on the device and the sound is really good for what it is. It also still has ha 3.5mm plug.

Top Bottom