• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do you prefer? Headphones or Speakers

Headphones or speakers

• Total voters

Jon wise

For those who have both what they consider decent headphones and speakers (with or without subwoofer); which do you prefer and why? Do you find speakers more exciting? headphones give a better illusion of soundstage? speakers too affected by the room? headphones lack bass?

Reactions: GPJ

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer my speakers, but make them sound like my AKG K601s ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't like strapping speakers to my head primarily, my headphones sound fine, but just prefer speakers overall sonically as well as the not wearing the speakers thing....

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Speakers/sub for over 95% of my listening despite having some decent iem’s/headphone/dac, see sig.

I live alone and my room is treated/eq applied so I can listen loud 24hrs/day as my nearest neighbour is over 100ft away, I imagine if I had Immediate neighbours/lived with a partner then I’d have no choice, headphones would win in that scenario.

Dismayed

I use both headphones and speakers. I prefer speakers, but I can't play them late at night because my wife goes to sleep earlier than me.

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Speakers.

Price to performance ratio is pretty bad with speakers though. For a while I was kind of ok with the fact that my LCD-X had upper hand in some things against both 8350s and KEF 2.2 setup. I mean those are not cheap phones and some consider them almost endgame. Then when out of curiosity I got 150€ 560S and it was also kind of close I started to have doubts about my spending... Only for a short while though, I just can't stand to wear headphones for that long in one session.

OP
J

Jon wise

Although early I can see a consensus forming, one which I tend to side with. Every time I put my headphones on ( Sennheiser hd 560s) I find them ok but end up wishing I could listen to my mains,( not brilliant but quite ok Elac debut 6.2s + bk electronics sub) respect to my neighbours prevents me from doing it tho. What I suspected is chasing speaker sound with upgrading headphones is probably not going to do it for me.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Speakers.

I like the "sound in the room", although I would prefer a larger space... I've had my speakers in a "dance hall" a couple of times and they sound a lot better with that big-room reverb.

You also get a better "soundstage" with speakers, but that's not a real-big deal to me. With headphones I get the impression that the sound is coming from somewhere around my forehead. The survey says... Most people hear the sounds coming from inside their head with very few people getting a realistic soundstage illusion.

And I don't like the isolation of headphones. I like to be aware of the sounds around me. Open headphones can help with that as long as they aren't too loud and drowning-out ambient sounds, and I do generally prefer open headphones.

Speakers - high SPL with my headphones doesn't make my body vibrate like a good pair of speakers.
I agree with that too, but in reality I rarely listen that loud

OP
J

Jon wise

Speakers.

I like the "sound in the room", although I would prefer a larger space... I've had my speakers in a "dance hall" a couple of times and they sound a lot better with that big-room reverb.

You also get a better "soundstage" with speakers, but that's not a real-big deal to me. With headphones I get the impression that the sound is coming from somewhere around my forehead. The survey says... Most people hear the sounds coming from inside their head with very few people getting a realistic soundstage illusion.

And I don't like the isolation of headphones. I like to be aware of the sounds around me. Open headphones can help with that as long as they aren't too loud and drowning-out ambient sounds, and I do generally prefer open headphones.

I agree with that too, but in reality I rarely listen that loud
I get a soundstage with the Sennheiser's, its still in my head but kind of on the boundary of it, over the top of my scull and on some tracks (Crystal, New order) in circles front to back.

OP
J

Jon wise

Neither speakers nor headphones, a mixture of the two: UNF (see the link below). The idea is to combine the advantages of both without taking on the disadvantages.
That's very interesting, and I appreciate the alternative, but I don't think at this time its practical for me, maybe in the future...

Tatr76

Prefer speakers for the reasons most have mentioned but if could only have one going forward I would choose headphones. Can't take speakers everywhere and thus use headphones more.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I use both. But I prefer the headphones when it comes to really getting absorbed in the music. Some of that is simply due to the fact I live in an apartment and can't pump up the volume very much on the speakers. But also, there's just something about planar magnetics...I've never really heard recorded music sound quite as life-like as it does through my HE-400i headphones.

OP
J

Jon wise

I use both. But I prefer the headphones when it comes to really getting absorbed in the music. Some of that is simply due to the fact I live in an apartment and can't pump up the volume very much on the speakers. But also, there's just something about planar magnetics...I've never really heard recorded music sound quite as life-like as it does through my HE-400i headphones.
I've been looking at planer magnetics and Hifiman of some flavour is what I was thinking of getting for a future upgrade, but still I don't think it'll scratch that itch like speakers do, but I have heard that the bass is good. Although I can get the Sennheiser's hd560s eq boosted a bit, too much blurs the details I find.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Different tools for different applications. I'd say that speakers first due to my preference for tactile bass.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Speakers are (if you can) so much more freedom and fun.

A band live is so much far away from headphonesound than a sexpuppet from the real deal. ;)

Last edited:

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Recordings are almost never representative of any real "live band" situation. They are an abstraction. Personally, as far as recreating the feeling of watching a live band...I don't care. It doesn't matter. I want to hear individual instruments that sound life-like, but as far as positioning them on some imaginary sonic stage in front of me? Not an issue I'm concerned about. I also enjoy a lot of EDM and electronic stuff...it's sonic sculpture. No live musicians at all really...

Flippo63

The last few months I've listened almost exclusively to headphones. Started when on a whim ordered a pair of AKG k371's to replace a pair of Sennheiser Hd518's that I didn't like (bass is muddy to my ears). Enjoyed the AKG's (still do) but then also purchased some Hifiman Sundaras which I really enjoy. My wife really appreciates it too (not much of a music lover and anything above 50db is way to loud for her).

Top Bottom