• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Do You Do To Clean The Most Important Part Of An Audio System

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ears. The least talked about aspect yet the most important. How often do clean them and how? Just came back from the saloon to get my ears cleaned and god damn, the amount of shit that came out is just extremely disgusting yet so satisfying. And what a revelation, it has been years since I got them cleaned (professionally) and Im hearing stuff I have not heard before on some tracks. Even my wife's nagging has become way louder and her screetchy voice just became screetchier like somebody boosted the 2khz - 8khz knob in her voice. 80db average from my listening position is louder than I have thought, more like 85db now. How do you guys clean your ears and maintain them? When was the last time you got them cleaned?

Zoomer

All you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask:

Andretti60

I often got ear infections (quite painful) , my GP told me that my ears were "too clean". Role of thumbs: never put into your ears anything bigger than your thumb. Ears produce wax for a reason: for protection. But sometimes it produces too much and sometimes not enough, depending on many factors including ambient temperature and humidity. All of this as courtesy of my GP who ordered me to stop using qtips (cotton swab) and suggested to clean the ears once a week in the shower: run very warm water, bent your neck and let the water run on your ear inner tube canal for a minute or so, then bent on the other side and let the water drain down. Repeat with other ear. I never had ear infections any more.

escksu

haha true!! Ear is the most important!!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Role of thumbs: never put into your ears anything bigger than your thumb
Rule of thumbs:.... never put anything in your ears that is smaller than your thumb. ;)

Last edited:

Bob-23

When your ears produce a lot of ear wax - which seems to be often the case when getting older - and don't get rid of it by themselves, or by just letting run water into them under the shower, this one can prevent you successfully from visiting an otologist (who usually does abou the same).

This may solve a channel imbalance of your audio system.
51y6u+0v3ML._SY300_SX300_.jpg

Cook it from time to time, flush it before using, take luke-warm water and you'd better sit when flushing your ears: in rare cases it might induce vertigo!

Don't use Q-tips, maybe less so because you might hurt your ears but more so because chances are you compress the wax to a block and prevent it even more from flowing out. That's why I don't stick anything anymore into my earcanal (having had a severe infection).

Andretti60

I usually do not use internet for medical information, This is one of the few websites that I trust, in this case is exactly what my primary care doctor told me.
I can add that not only gets worse with age (what doesn’t) but it is also genetic, my dad had to visit his doctor regularly for earwax removal.

Teeter

I use my fancy hearing aids.............phone app lets me turn volume up or down, bass or treble, directional or 360 surround. And I use Q tips every so often. Earlier days, I used the bulb ear plunger, if really bad.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rule of thumbs:.... never put anything in your ears that is smaller than your thumb. ;)

I'd be doomed. I used ear plugs all the time. (Literally every night). Have never had ear wax problems, fortunately.

warnerwh

Ear drops work well for me. Sometimes you have to do it twice if you wait too long. It will remove large chunks if you let it get that bad. At my annual physical I have my doctor use the machine.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ears. The least talked about aspect yet the most important. How often do clean them and how? Just came back from the saloon to get my ears cleaned and god damn, the amount of shit that came out is just extremely disgusting yet so satisfying. And what a revelation, it has been years since I got them cleaned (professionally) and Im hearing stuff I have not heard before on some tracks. Even my wife's nagging has become way louder and her screetchy voice just became screetchier like somebody boosted the 2khz - 8khz knob in her voice. 80db average from my listening position is louder than I have thought, more like 85db now. How do you guys clean your ears and maintain them? When was the last time you got them cleaned?
There are two schools of thought here on ASR:

1) There is such a thing a evidence based hearing care, I’d better see an audiologist.

2) Look, I’m an intelligent person and have been dressing myself for decades, don’t tell me that it’s not safe to stick foreign bodies into my ear canal.

You can probably detect which camp I’m in.

Teeter

Okay, does everyone now know the procedure to clean your ears....or not? lol

OP
M

MarkWinston

After my thorough cleaning, Im now using drops containing Docusate Sodium to mantain them. Doctor's recommendation here, better than Hydrogen Peroxide she said. Shes hot and that is why I initially chose to believe her. Lol!

egellings

Major Contributor
I'm stuck with wearing ear plugs all night so I can get some respite from the yapping dogs. My neighborhood turns into a yapping kennel at night. Have not had an infection problem. If my fire alarm were to go off, I'd be out of luck then. You don't want your ears to be squeaky clean because the wax has antiseptic properties, and it good to leave a coating of that in there alone.

MRC01

Major Contributor
This discussion is giving me deja-vu

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Can air pressure kill you?​

Here are a few ways that compressed air can kill or seriously injure a person: Compressed air blown into the skin can obstruct an artery and result in an embolism. Inhaled compressed air can rupture your lungs or esophagus. Compressed air blown into the ear can rupture eardrums and cause brain damage.
Based on this, I'd say keep the nozzle pressure below 4 PSI.
Stewart, Charles. Blast Injuries. Colorado Springs: Charles Stewart & Associates, 2006: Page 33."At a pressure of about 35 kilopascals (5 psi), the human eardrum may rupture. With an overpressure of 100 kPa (14 psi) almost all eardrums will be ruptured."

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Airpod doesn't go in the ear canal it rests in the concha.
Have used earbuds in the past and found out.
A: they don't sound great.
B: when one of them fits in my left ear it won't stay properly in place on the left ear.
C: am not an apple aficionado.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Couple of interesting products on Amazon these days. The intracanal camera at $30. The $160 electric irrigator. The $22 manual irrigator. Lots of options and then use the camera to verify the clean. I can see my eardrums with it.

Top Bottom