• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do I need?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can plug your SSD into a raspberry pi4 directly into the USB port and run it as a music player/streamer using Moode audio freeware. Then USB out to your DAC of choice. Or get a HAT style DAC and run rca out to your preamp or amp. To control it you need some kind of display that you can run a web browser on, like a cheap Amazon Fire Tablet. Hd8 would work or if you need a larger screen for readability a fire hd10.

Fire HD 10 tablet, 10.1", 1080p Full HD, 32 GB, latest model (2021 release), Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BX7FV5L/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_JSWVHQA1V134JVFHJKS2

puppet

I’d say get cheap tablet, add 512 GB of microSD and run from there via USB to DAC/Amp. It should be enough to hold your collection locally, and no wifi needed.
Probably somebody near you sells used laptops for around $100. I'd just grab that and do what voodooless suggested.

D

Deleted member 46664

I know about nothing about streamers. I built a music server PC. Touch screen, works fine. I put my 500 or so CDs on a SSD. Great.
Now I would like to get the music in my workshop. Nice old Creek and my new Elac speakers. I have seen at stores an interface on a phone where in 30 or 40 swipes can play a track, but what is there short of a full blown PC server that I can access and find albums ( I only play full albums) in my shop? A cheap tablet? Not my phone. Can't see it. Cheap phone without the space needed anyway.
Is your shop in wifi range of your main system?

If so you could just get a used laptop, mini-amp and speakers then access your music through file shares.

Top Bottom