• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What dac to pair with Atom

NemoReborn

I just bought a Jds labs atom. I found out the k3 i was planning to use have a variable line out ( controlled by volume knob ).

I do not like it much and would prefer a fixed output since im concern a variable line out might affect the sound!?

So what dac should i use with the Atom ?

Btw i do not like schiit product so forget them !!

OP
N

NemoReborn

I really like the k3. So something that would perform similar.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you set the volume to 'max' in the line out there basically is no volume control in the path any more and won't clip.
Would just use the line-out of K3.

The line-out is not the same signal path as the headphone out. The headphone out has a slightly higher output voltage.

OP
N

NemoReborn

Would i see a difference vs the d10 and d30 soundwise?

What are the main difference between the 2?

jasonq997

Forum Donor
Would i see a difference vs the d10 and d30 soundwise?

What are the main difference between the 2?

Likely no audible difference. Different DAC chips. The D30 has optical and coaxial inputs. The D10 only has a USB input, and it has optical and coaxial OUTPUTs.

OP
N

NemoReborn

Likely no audible difference. Different DAC chips. The D30 has optical and coaxial inputs. The D10 only has a USB input, and it has optical and coaxial OUTPUTs.

One is usb powered and the other have a powersupply. Does that change anything?

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One is usb powered and the other have a powersupply. Does that change anything?

One less cable to deal with? I have the D10 and it works fine. I did have to deal with a ground loop issue, but I have a fairly involved setup. Laptop, Monitor via USB 3, Atom with two self-powered speakers attached. The solution to the ground loop was to make sure that everything (especially the two speakers) is plugged into the same power strip.

Perhaps having a separate power cable might have helped with the ground loop, although it might have been one more thing to make sure I plug into the same power strip?

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Perhaps having a separate power cable might have helped with the ground loop, although it might have been one more thing to make sure I plug into the same power strip?

That's why I use optical.
My recommendation - Schiit Modi3 or Topping D30.

Top Bottom